Wine question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
I do like me a good red wine and like to always have some aboard. My issue is the Texas heat. I leave my boat with no AC on and it can easily get up to 100 degrees on summer days. And this is almost every day for months on end. Obviously, not a great environment for a decent bottle of wine.

Absent a proper wine storage/cooler, what would be the best way to store red wine without torching it on a daily basis. My only thought would be to put it in the fridge and then take it out to let it "thaw" before drinking.

Any suggestions?

We got one of these this year - holds 6 bottles, makes no noise and only consumes about 70 watts of power when running. Amazon sells them for $90.

711-LtX0g1L._SL1500_.jpg

Same here on enjoying red wine. Best solution is drink it. :) We have the wine cooler but it is on the fly bridge and that turns into an oven. Often thought about moving it to the salon where it stays under 90 degrees most of the time. The above posted by Ronlord looks interesting..

Baker , I like me some red wine also . We keep ours in a cubby hole under the v berth close to the water line . It helps but it's not perfect .

Got one of these that holds a 12-pack, so I can enjoy a cold one as soon as I get to the boat on a hot summer day?

We also truly enjoy a nice glass of wine.

We do not suffer from your problem simply because wine does not last that long on the boat. :D

When we leave the boat all wine is placed on the top self in frig. I would never leave a decent bottle of wine in 90+ degree heat, it will cook it.

bildge

What is your water temperature? I would store it in a low lying bildge area below the water line as it sounds as though refrigeration might not be an option for you.

Most damaging for the wine are temperature fluctuations. Keeping the wine in a cooler should take care of that. Adding a 2 l bottle or two with ice wrapped in a bath towel should maintain a cool temperature in a good cooler for a few days.

We don't do anything special but store wine below the waterline with no discernible ill effect. (Saloon floor is below exterior waterline.) Wine storage on the boat is for near-term consumption and not for aging.

Baker , I like me some red wine also . We keep ours in a cubby hole under the v berth close to the water line . It helps but it's not perfect .

Yup...same plan here. We refer to it as the Wine Cellar..

Just filled it today as a matter of fact!

Last edited:

Absent a proper wine storage/cooler, what would be the best way to store red wine without torching it on a daily basis. My only thought would be to put it in the fridge and then take it out to let it "thaw" before drinking.

That's exactly what many Europeans do in Spain and Italy.

Baker

I live in Northeast Brazil, this year so far, we haven't have any day coolerthan 91.5 F.

My other weakness besides boating, is Wine. When I am cursing I keep my wine in the dark in my cabin. If I am on the hook, I put what I intend to drink inside of a big ziplock bag and again inside of a diving bag all hanging from the boat and in the water. Believe me it works. Otherwise, putting in the refrigerator for a while do not harm any wine. My withes, cava, Proseco androses, go to the refrigerator

When i am cursing Ann hides the wine.... ;o)

Actually the guys I used to sail with along the west coast used exactly your method as well...

That's what they do with the beer in Northern Ontario. In a net over the side.

We also keep wine under the forward berth. The temperature is stable(that`s important) and it stays quite cool. I once "lost" a bottle of a "quaffer" wine, a Semillon-Sauvignon Blanc blend, in there for a year, and it developed to a surprisingly nice wine.
The usual rule about red wine at room temperature is a European thing, it doesn`t really apply to non European higher room temps. Though 35C at Wimbledon might be an exception.

My son and his girlfriend are both professional winemakers in the Okanagan. They both have sizeable wine collections which they keep in the only air conditoned room in their house, a spare bedroom. So they sleep in a sweltering bedroom to protect the integrity of their wine collections. As one who loves a cool bedroom, it seems crazy to me??

My son and his girlfriend are both professional winemakers in the Okanagan. They both have sizeable wine collections which they keep in the only air conditoned room in their house, a spare bedroom. So they sleep in a sweltering bedroom to protect the integrity of their wine collections. As one who loves a cool bedroom, it seems crazy to me??

Now they are hard core

I leave one of the 4 Ac units on but always worry about loosing the AC or power

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom