Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-20-2017, 03:10 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
City: San Francisco
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 361
Windy.com weather site

windy.com seems like a beautifully done representation of the weather, among other things. However, with waves, wind waves, and three different types of swells, it can get very confusing very fast.

Anyone care to share any best practices for how they decipher all this information, other than graduating with a meteorology degree?

Thanks!
Mike
__________________
Advertisement

MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:43 AM   #2
Guru
 
City: Sydney
Country: Australia
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
windy.com seems like a beautifully done representation of the weather, among other things. However, with waves, wind waves, and three different types of swells, it can get very confusing very fast.

Anyone care to share any best practices for how they decipher all this information, other than graduating with a meteorology degree?

Thanks!
Mike


Watch the weather channel
__________________

gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:20 AM   #3
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,981
Greetings,
Mr. MB. Pretty well the only times we refer to Windy is in anticipation of crossing the Gulf Stream. One does NOT venture into the GS if there is ANY wind from a north direction (ENE to WNW inclusive). This is a known fact by boaters on the east side of the US. I guess it comes from knowing the area you are boating in. I would be completely lost on the west coast where I have no idea of the wind patterns OR their effects on the Pacific.

If, for example it's been blowing from the north for a period of time there will be residual "snottiness" in the GS. Windy assists us in anticipating when it will or might be flat enough to cross BUT it is only one of several sources we use to check the weather and sea conditions.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
GoneFarrell's Avatar
 
City: La Conner, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 176
MB,

There should be a vertical menu bar on the far right. That menu allows you to adjust which layers of stuff you want to see: wind, rain, radar, etc.

Play around with that for a while, it is only software and you can't break it!

There two more menu bars on lower right you can play with too.

And there is "tools/menu" under the 3 bars in the top left corner.

Amazing tool, get a beer or a cup of coffee and start pecking at it!

Interpreting the info is another story. I'd say start with what you know of local knowledge in the bay area and see how that compares to what you see on windy, extrapolate from there. You may find it is better at big picture stuff, and has gaps here and there, for example, wave heights/direction around Sausalito/Angel Island. That sort of info needs to go into your head with what you know of local tide effects, which are of course significant in your area.
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:15 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Ken E.'s Avatar
 
City: Bellingham WA
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 313
We used Windy.com on our way down from Alaska this season, based on a tip from a friend. I was curious on how it compared with the Alaska and Canadian continuous vhf forecasts, and against actual observations. I didn't pay much attention to the on-sceen controls. I found the wind direction forecasts to be quite accurate but the wind speeds to be understated in most cases. The Canadians are the best around here for forecasting IMO, and they still have lighthouse sea state observations.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:51 PM   #6
Al
Guru
 
Al's Avatar
 
City: ketchikan, Alaska
Country: usa
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
We used Windy.com on our way down from Alaska this season, based on a tip from a friend. I was curious on how it compared with the Alaska and Canadian continuous vhf forecasts, and against actual observations. I didn't pay much attention to the on-sceen controls. I found the wind direction forecasts to be quite accurate but the wind speeds to be understated in most cases. The Canadians are the best around here for forecasting IMO, and they still have lighthouse sea state observations.
Windy is my overall go to site however, As Ken indicates, second opinion is a necessity. Ken mentions the Canadian forecast. I refer to it as "My Canadian" and he is the deal breaker. Given the forecast with SE winds, I can anticipate a six hour delay for what ever front to hit my home area. If the forecast is NW, we are in it but the Canadian will confirmed as to what is to follow . Simply stated, clear, not this or that, just a short synopsis of the weather. Here is the current information;

Dixon Entrance East - North Coast - Environment Canada

Note to readers- Mother's little boy Al is not going out to sea and play the next couple days!!

Al-Ketchikan
Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:42 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
City: San Francisco
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFarrell View Post
MB,

There should be a vertical menu bar on the far right. That menu allows you to adjust which layers of stuff you want to see: wind, rain, radar, etc.

Play around with that for a while, it is only software and you can't break it!

There two more menu bars on lower right you can play with too.

And there is "tools/menu" under the 3 bars in the top left corner.

Amazing tool, get a beer or a cup of coffee and start pecking at it!

Interpreting the info is another story. I'd say start with what you know of local knowledge in the bay area and see how that compares to what you see on windy, extrapolate from there. You may find it is better at big picture stuff, and has gaps here and there, for example, wave heights/direction around Sausalito/Angel Island. That sort of info needs to go into your head with what you know of local tide effects, which are of course significant in your area.


Yeah, I'm comfortable with the tool, but not the interpretation. Especially the multiple layers of swells and waves.
__________________

MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012