Old 05-26-2019, 05:11 PM   #1

City: Easton, MD
Vessel Name: Rascal II
Vessel Model: Transpacific Eagle 32
Window Sun Screen

I'd like to know how trawler owners typically screen the sun from beating in on their pilot houses when not underway? I've seen some who use outside material (Pfifertex or similar?) that snaps on the window frames - that is apparently quite expensive. I assume there is a similar method that uses a different material and snaps (or fastens somehow) to the inside of the windows - this is probably less expensive but not sure what to use. Then I suppose there's the really cheap end of the spectrum that uses those folding window foil reflectors people put in their cars but they never cover correctly, don't attach to anything neatly and look extremely tacky (hope I haven't offended anyone here). Would love to heat some suggestions please and thx in advance - this forum has been so helpful in the few short months I've been a member.

Jmreim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:01 PM   #2
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I use Pfifertex to make exterior screens. It is really easy to work with. The best screening for heat and UV protection is on the outside. It is better to keep the heat outside the glass than put the screen on the inside. It is easy to install and remove when it is on the outside than trying to reach over everything on te helm.

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:08 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Expensive... not really compared to many boat improvements projects.
Actually it's a perfect DIY sewing project. Mesh sews pretty easy even on home machines.
If windows have straight edges. Trapezoids they are very easy.
Make a pattern for each window leave 3" extra all around then mark w pencil pattern size & shape. Fold extra to the outside edge to pattern line... now 1.5" oversized and fold again to hide any raw edges in the hem. Warm iron helps make the folds crisp. Then sew inside & outside of the folded hem w UV treated thread.
Install snaps. Done.
Many mesh choices available at RochfordSupply.com even some 2nds at good prices. If you are a boater it's a worthwhile skill to develop / practice. Just finished a sunscreen for the aft deck.
All depends on which direction we're facing in afternoon whether we use windshield or aft deck sunscreens.
Exterior easier on/ off for most windshields due to access and are more effective at keeping the heat out.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:52 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
We had exterior screens made as Bacchus described but didnít DIY. Not all that expensive in relative terms. My wife wanted black, so we went with black. They attached with a few snaps. It really cuts down on the heat in the PH.

A disadvantage is that the screens donít keep the windows clean, and actually make them dirtier. Not a big deal but in the spring we get a lot of tree pollen. I like being able to see out of the windows when the screens are in place which is why I didnít go with solid window covers.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:09 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
I was on a boat last fall that had these pull down sun screens. It seemed like a great idea, and was easily deployable right from the helm.

The company is Bergaflex in Germany.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PCH_2018-09-24_15-37_5204.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	89245  
Old 05-26-2019, 08:35 PM   #6

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
We have snap on mesh screens made by Tidewater Canvas in Easton MD. that we use on dock and at anchor. These reduce pilot house temp significantly 10-15 degrees. No idea on cost but it is a worthwhile investment. Takes 5 min to put on or take off.
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:45 PM   #7
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I use exterior screens, but add the aluminum bubble wrap that I have cut to shape and put inside the exterior screens. Works well.
JDCAVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:07 PM   #8
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmreim View Post
I'd like to know how trawler owners typically screen the sun from beating in on their pilot houses when not underway? I've seen some who use outside material (Pfifertex or similar?) that snaps on the window frames - that is apparently quite expensive. I assume there is a similar method that uses a different material and snaps (or fastens somehow) to the inside of the windows - this is probably less expensive but not sure what to use. Then I suppose there's the really cheap end of the spectrum that uses those folding window foil reflectors people put in their cars but they never cover correctly, don't attach to anything neatly and look extremely tacky (hope I haven't offended anyone here). Would love to heat some suggestions please and thx in advance - this forum has been so helpful in the few short months I've been a member.
I'm not even kidding about this. I've done it for Rv'ers when I owned an upholstery shop. It can help control heat coming in and going out. Take a product called reflectix, or similar, and cut them a little larger, maybe 1 inch to 1.25 inch, than your windows. I use discarded cardboard boxes to make templates to cut out the reflectix. Use a good quality foil duct tape to make larger pieces if need be. Once I have all the pieces I want for the windows, I glue fabric to the sides. You can use any UV resistant fabric for home, auto, RV, boats, whatever. Make sure not to stretch the fabric. Lay it down smooth from one side to the other. I use 3M Super 77 fabric spray glue. Once I have it all together I sew on an edge banding to make it look nice. It can be made from the material the rest of the cover is made from, some other fabric of choice, or even actaul edge banding. The materials may be a little thick but any quality home sewing machine can do the job. It could also be glued. That may take a while as the edges would need to be taped off to prevent overspray from the glue getting on the fabric cover. To hang them I have done it several ways. Sewed little pockets for magnets around the edge every 12 inches or so. I've sewn on velcro. I've even sewn on loops and channels for little round cheap curtain rods. There are good DIY videos on youtube about sewing the simple edge banding, magnet pockets, and curtain rod channels. This doesn't have to be expensive. I did a custom van with 11 windows with around $50 in supplies.

My supplies came from Lowe's, Amazon, and my upholstery supplier. It can all be bought from local sources such as home improvement stores, home center like JoAnn Fabrics, and even Walmart.

Links for reference.

Refectix comes in many sizes and it's not very expensive. It's best to leave 1/2 inch space betwen it and your window if possible.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_s...language=en_US

Super 77

Nauti themed fabric.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:41 AM   #9

Thx! Unfortunately, I found Tidewater Canvas completely unreliable - chased him for months with little/no response. I got increasingly frustrated and finally gave up. Might you know anyone else who does this sort of work in the Easton area?
Old 05-27-2019, 06:58 AM   #10

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Unfortunately I do not have any contacts in MD or surrounding states, we bought the boat there and moved it north. I may have someone up here who could do this, will Lilly see him today and ask
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:51 AM   #11

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
As someone mentioned, sewing Perfertex is easy. Good first sewing project.

I bought a Sailrite walking foot sewing machine back in 1995 to replace the clear plastic on enclosures.

Made the Perfertex window covers when we bought Sandpiper 19 years ago. Broke even on the sewing machine with that project.

The window covers are still in excellent shape. Annual washing and storing them during winter prolongs their life.

I would add a vinyl backing inside the folded Perfertex for the snaps to have a more secure hold. Canvas suppliers sell it in rolls for backing or you could buy a square of vinyl tarp material and cut it into 1 1/2 " strips. It's the same vinyl and comes in white or black.

Make sure to use synthetic thread so the covers can be washed with a bleach solution.
syjos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:24 AM   #12

City: Watts Bar Lake, Tn River
Vessel Name: RedBoat
Vessel Model: MS 34T
I bought sheet Textilene, cut it to fit the inside window dimensions, glued rubber strip magnets to the Textilene edges and to the inside edges of the windows. Textilene sheets snap magnetically to the inside of the window panes. There are pros/cons to Textilene. I like accessing them from inside: no worries about putting them away wet or dirty.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:32 AM   #13
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
http://www.customshadesails.com

Old 05-31-2019, 12:14 PM   #14
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
I like that! On my list to sew up for Spy, when I get my Sailrite machine back from loaning it out...
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:15 PM   #15

Thx Steve - not sure the shade sail will suit my needs but what is material snapped to your windows and did you do it yourself or have them amde?
Old 05-31-2019, 12:28 PM   #16
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmreim View Post
Thx Steve - not sure the shade sail will suit my needs but what is material snapped to your windows and did you do it yourself or have them amde?
Window material is Phifertex......Wife and I made them. Easy to sew on a home machine. Pattern, sew, then lay out the snaps and install with a snap tool....They work great. Terrific visibility out, but little in. We have them for the sides too.....It does cut down the UV heat load significantly..

View from the inside:

Old 05-31-2019, 03:17 PM   #17
GMS

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Sound Trek
Vessel Model: 2008 Meridian 490
An additional plug for sailrite.com - they have excellent DIY videos on all sorts of great boat projects (including window screens). Sailrite.com also is typically competitively priced on fabrics and supplies for the projects.

We just completed new window screens for our boat. It was relatively easy and with directions from sailrite better than the original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58000579221__4A38EBF8-1CD6-484A-B148-F9BA33B643AF.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	89588  
GMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:18 PM   #18

City: Vero Beach
Vessel Name: Willin’
Vessel Model: 1984 Kadey Krogen Manatee
Which Phifertex product?

[QUOTE=Heron;770359]Window material is Phifertex......Wife and I made them. Easy to sew on a home machine. Pattern, sew, then lay out the snaps and install with a snap tool....They work great. Terrific visibility out, but little in. We have them for the sides too.....It does cut down the UV heat load significantly..

Steve do you recall which Phifertex product you used? I just got a few samples from them and Iím trying to decide which to use ó looking for the right balance of durability, visibility, sun/UV filter, and breeze.
Gypsygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:27 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMS View Post
An additional plug for sailrite.com - they have excellent DIY videos on all sorts of great boat projects (including window screens). Sailrite.com also is typically competitively priced on fabrics and supplies for the projects.

We just completed new window screens for our boat. It was relatively easy and with directions from sailrite better than the original.
GMS...
Nice job... looks like a 2 beer job or just the after party?

I'd also suggest checking our RochfordSupply.com. especially for fabrics and mesh. They often have some great buys on 2nds that are really not far from 1st quality IMO & experience... especially for DIYer - if you mess anything up your out of pocket cost is minimal.
I've used a lot of their white mesh for windshield, side window sunscreens. Just finished a drop curtain style sunscreen for our aft deck to block afternoon sun if parked / anchored w stern to the west... I use the windshield sunscreen when parked bow west.
I'll try to remember to take a few pics & post if I get some hot sunny days traveling.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:27 PM   #20
GMS

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Sound Trek
Vessel Model: 2008 Meridian 490
We used Phifertex Plus, high UV blockage and visibility is still good (or good enough).

GMS is offline   Reply With Quote