Window restoration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morgancont

I have a 1994 Mainship sedan flybridge power boat. There are 2 window units on sides that are peeling and are unsightly. The frames are painted black metal
with a sliding window. The paint is flaking off and the metal is oxidizing. There is a course fabric in the window track. I would like to take the widows out and have the frames repainted with a long term solution to the finish.
I have had this boat for 5 years and have been working on the higher priority issues. Now I want to work of these lesser important but unsightly type repairs.
Looking for help on how to do this. I attached a photo of the window.
Thanks,
Dan 20161022_142444.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. m. I have used this stuff: Trim & Bumper Paint - Aerosol | Dupli-Color on the window frames of our small boat that is used in fresh water only. IF you are looking for a temporary interim fix, this may do the job but I doubt it will last too long in a salt water environment (maybe a season or two?) BUT it may tidy things up for a short while and put off the onerous task of removing windows for the time being.
Good surface prep and masking is the key to a good job.

If you are going to go to all the work to remove the windows I would have the frames blasted and powder coated. I am redoing the flybridge enclosure on our boat and needed some aluminum bar stock to frame the venturi windshield. I cut the pieces (10 of them) and took them to a local powder coating shop. Cost $100 and I think it was well worth it. They look great and should be very durable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom