Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2016, 09:41 PM   #21

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
The 3M crystalline tint may be what you are referring to. Have it in my car. Awesome for reduction of heat. Also comes in a clear film how it works is beyond me but it does. Have it in my front windshield of the car.
Dave

Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #22

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Ted, I like your strategy> more or less.

Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:20 PM   #23
Guru

City: Somewhere
G.B. lots of varnish?

We made and installed exterior covers. The salon side windows have the mesh but with a wide Sunbrella band around the perimeter which covers the wood. We used the dome fasteners for the bottom and the ends but the top slides into a track. That way a lot of rain is directed away from the window. Some does of course get through since it is a mesh.

These two side covers have straps permanently attached and snaps that allow us to roll them up so we have the full windows available when the sun is off them but as the sun comes around they can be quickly dropped. I also made straps that hold the bottoms of the covers away from the cabin to allow air to pass in. Not perfect but sure cuts down on the sun heating the cabin.
You can feel the heat drop once they are up in place.

The front window cover is solid Sunbrella. It too is secured on the exterior. Maybe one day we will make a screen version but it too kills the heat.

We used to use an inside curtain for the front but the heat still built up. NO where near so with the exterior cover.

Of course we have curtains inside for privacy when the exterior covers are not in place.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #24
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Unfortunately, there is no clear message in the COLREGS, as there is in the MOTOR VEHICLE ACT, to dissuade those of you who think it is OK to obscure your visibility by leaving the semi-transparent covers on while operating your vessel.
In a car it is illegal to have even a tint on your driver's and passenger side windows and your forward windshield. In a boat, the rule is to "Keep an adequate lookout". How could you justify having covers on your windows, should a collision occur. You would be the sitting duck for liability, having no way to demonstrate that you even had an interest in keeping an adequate lookout.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:05 PM   #25
Guru

City: Washington NC Waterfront
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Unfortunately, there is no clear message in the COLREGS, as there is in the MOTOR VEHICLE ACT, to dissuade those of you who think it is OK to obscure your visibility by leaving the semi-transparent covers on while operating your vessel.
In a car it is illegal to have even a tint on your driver's and passenger side windows and your forward windshield. In a boat, the rule is to "Keep an adequate lookout". How could you justify having covers on your windows, should a collision occur. You would be the sitting duck for liability, having no way to demonstrate that you even had an interest in keeping an adequate lookout.
I have to agree with Koliver to a point. In the Motor Vehicle world, Many states have tint regulations and limits for side and rear windows. In most states an acceptable tint level (for instance 35% here in NC) is perfectly legal.

Let me relay an experience I had shortly after installing my Side Phifertex covers. While docking for the first time after installing I found they so distorted my depth perception that I almost got into a problem. Came within inches of clipping another boat. Scared me a bit until I figured out what was happening. It may have just been me, and just a cautionary tale for some but I no longer dock with the side covers on no matter how well I "think" I can see. Lesson learned.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:50 PM   #26

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Thanks, Toolbuddie. Interesting stuff. From a bit of reading, looks like having a knowledgable installer is critical for 3M crystalline. Several accounts of bad DIY installs on internet auto sites using 3M material line - technique seems to be important.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #27

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABfish View Post
I've got the pleated day/night shades that are commonly found in RV's. They operate easily with no rattles in rough seas.
We are finishing up with same type of shades, came from United Shades, the day shades let in a lot more light than the old metal ones we had.

kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote