Old 12-01-2015, 11:01 PM   #41

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
Here's another vote for labels that indicate the direction of chain travel. Starboard pedal = chain (and anchor) coming aboard.

Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:40 PM   #42
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Interesting discussion of which I had not given much thought. Up or Down inquiry not withstanding, the fact how the anchor is controlled in the down position is novel to me.
On all the larger boats that I have been associated with, tugs, sainers, and larger OP boats, the anchor down if not just free fall, a banded brake drum was employed.
Being a small craft, dropping the anchor has never resulted in the fears that Marin has discribed. that it is an anticipation and planned for is smart using the methods discribed.
Learn something everyday!

Al-Ketchikan

Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:13 AM   #43

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
I noted your pulpit is solid, mine has an open area filled with a teak grate aft of the rollers, another example of "when you've seen one Manatee"
We had it rebuilt that way as it was easier to have it filled in solid than to shorten the grating to provide a place for the windlass and anchor roller foundations. It also doesn't look as odd as is would with the roller half on and half off the teak. Besides, less teak to maintain.

BTW chain arrives and gets loaded this morning and the job will be complete.
Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:24 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Where did you get those labels? I don't have any on my switches, but they look really nice.
Photoshop. The photo wouldn't show the ones molded into the black rubber. BTW the rubber covers can easily be turned in any direction by unscrewing the safety covers. I could point them port and starboard to really confuse the issue
Old 12-02-2015, 09:18 AM   #45
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Wow Roger great job on the teak grate removal. Question, why didn't you also remove the built in rollers ? I had thought about doing that to be able to use the new style anchors with bent self righting shanks when refitting my pulpit/windlass project.
HiDHo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:51 AM   #46
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
This whole discussion is a joke, right?
Nope, it is a sign that winter has set in and any boating subject is better than none.

So here is mine on this subject - on a Searay with a Goode windlass I had an up/down switch on the dash that was not tight, If rotated no more than about 10 degrees the anchor direction reversed itself to the placard arrows. My wife was frequently heard to holler, " Are you up or down" as I sat on the bow insuring drop was indeed that. This was well received in a few anchorages with a guffaw or two from others nearby.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:50 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
Question, why didn't you also remove the built in rollers ?
The whole project cost about as much as the sailboat I traveled over 20,000 miles in and lived aboard for three years so I didn't want to do anything extra. I also kind of liked the rollers and plan to use them for the double anchor bridle. My second anchor will be a Fortress on a chain and rope rode. That hangs on the railing and its chain goes through the port pulpit roller. I hope it will coexist with the anchor bridle on that side. The rollers are quite wide so I don't expect any problem. (I tried housing the Fortress in the roller, no dice.)