Old 09-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #1

City: Pensacola
Vessel Name: ELSEA -V
Vessel Model: TollyCraft 40' SunDeck
windlass for my Krogan Manatee

Just purchased a 1989 Manatee that needs its' first Electric Windlass..
Any suggestion as to Mfg. and Model..have been looking at the Maxwell HRC 10-8 12 volt
elsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Maxwells are great, also IMTRA (lofrans tigress), And Lewmar are some names.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Call Marine Connection in fort pierce. Ask for Ronnie. He has a selection. I think you need a 1000 watt quick 5/16 matching chain ($3.50-4.00 a foot) and hard lay 3 stran sized nylon at $.97 a foot. How much chain, how much nylon? Start with post number 1 on How Much Chain......Ask your Dr what is right for you. If you experience dizziness, hives, dry mouth, irritability, bitchiness or an erection that last longer than 4 hours call your Dr.

As for me, if I experience an erection lasting longer than 4 hours, I am calling a press conference.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #4
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I installed a Lofrans Tigres when the original Simson Lawrence went out 4 years ago. We are very happy with the Lofrans.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
We went with a Ideal vertical drum/wildcat model because we wanted to be able to use it on both anchor rodes, one is all chain the other rope/chain combo. The rodes lead nicely from either pulpit roller to the windlass and stow into the chain pipes and lockers.
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1109.JPG   024 (3).jpg  
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #6
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Lots of good names. We went with Lewmar due to local sales and service. Have had it for 4 years now with no issues. It takes the combo chain and rode and stores automatically without any manual assist which makes the admiral happy.
Attached Thumbnails
New windlass.jpg  
Old 09-24-2014, 09:44 PM   #7
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
The Muir Cougar on my boat works great and has been pretty trouble free, removed once for brushes and service. It's a 1000 watt with 5/16" gypsy and a capstan on the other side.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Went with Ideal after had to replace a Maxwell when Maxwell would no longer "support" my model.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
Lots of good names. We went with Lewmar due to local sales and service. Have had it for 4 years now with no issues. It takes the combo chain and rode and stores automatically without any manual assist which makes the admiral happy.
Same here. Very pleased and buying it didn't break the bank. The self-launching anchor roller, wireless remote, recessed washdown hose and lower helm controls make it a cinch to operate. Toughest part is keeping it shiny!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #10
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
All of the names mentioned here have good reputations. I wouldn't hesitate to put any of them on my boat. I have a twenty year old Lewmar on my boat. The aluminum housing is flaking paint and pitting. The damn thing won't quit so I can buy one of the new ones with stainless covers.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #11
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
All of the names mentioned here have good reputations. I wouldn't hesitate to put any of them on my boat. I have a twenty year old Lewmar on my boat. The aluminum housing is flaking paint and pitting. The damn thing won't quit so I can buy one of the new ones with stainless covers.
At least you don't have to worry about keeping it shiny!

When you're ready to buy, I know this guy who runs a marine parts store in Miami. He'll sell it to you for cost.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:25 PM   #12
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I also have the Lewmar Stainless Steel Sport Fisher pictured above with Flywright and LaBomba. No issues. It was an identical bolt-in for the old Simpson-Lawrence unit that was pretty worn out. I've yet to see how it works with anything over 40 lbs on all 5'16" chain, but the plan is to upgrade my anchor to a Rocna 44 lb.. We'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
side by side.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:37 PM   #13
Guru

Flywright that poor guy sells stuff so cheap he can't afford a new windlass.
Fly and Larry, does that windlass accept a handle to manually retrieve the anchor?
My old one won't and I worry about the day it does die.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:52 PM   #14
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I also have the Lewmar Stainless Steel Sport Fisher pictured above with Flywright and LaBomba. No issues. It was an identical bolt-in for the old Simpson-Lawrence unit that was pretty worn out. I've yet to see how it works with anything over 40 lbs on all 5'16" chain, but the plan is to upgrade my anchor to a Rocna 44 lb.. We'll see.
Can you zip tie an old Makita or SkilSaw to the anchor to test the windlass? No sense investing in a Rocna 44 only to find the windlass won't haul it.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:35 AM   #15
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Flywright that poor guy sells stuff so cheap he can't afford a new windlass.
Fly and Larry, does that windlass accept a handle to manually retrieve the anchor?
My old one won't and I worry about the day it does die.
Yes, there's a square end wrench that fits the clutch. If you look close, you can see the 3 square holes in the stbd side of the windlass. These are used to adjust the clutch and to manually retrieve the ground tackle. The ProFish model is slightly different, but functions the same. I've never tried to use it to retrieve, though. It's shown on page 19 of the Lewmar 1000 instructions.

Oh, c'mon Parks. Everyone knows that anyone with a marine parts store is filthy rich. If I ran a boat parts retailer, I'd change windlasses like I change wiper blades. I probably wouldn't even need a retrieve function...just cut it free and go to the store and get a new anchor and rode.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:25 AM   #16
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

Oh, c'mon Parks. Everyone knows that anyone with a marine parts store is filthy rich. If I ran a boat parts retailer, I'd change windlasses like I change wiper blades. I probably wouldn't even need a retrieve function...just cut it free and go to the store and get a new anchor and rode.

I like to see a man live dangerously.

What's the old saying, 'there are brave pilots and there are old pilots but there are no brave old pilots,or some such thing.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #17
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
Lots of good names. We went with Lewmar due to local sales and service. Have had it for 4 years now with no issues............
I found out too late that you are supposed to take that windlass apart and lubricate it once a year. It can get water inside and rust the gears and motor bearings. I had to replace mine.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #18
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Yes, there's a square end wrench that fits the clutch. If you look close, you can see the 3 square holes in the stbd side of the windlass. These are used to adjust the clutch and to manually retrieve the ground tackle. .......
In theory, that works. In practice, not so much. Mine wouldn't budge so I got out the handle and tried to turn it. No dice.

To make a long story short, the bearings on the motor froze (rust) and because the motor wouldn't turn and the gears are always engaged, the windlass wouldn't turn with the wrench.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #19
Guru

"Oh, c'mon Parks. Everyone knows that anyone with a marine parts store is filthy rich."
Fly, I remember those days. I could charge list price and people were happy to pay it. That was before the internet. I can't get away with anything anymore!
Old 09-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Joy thought it would cool to have a manual windlass you know like macho or something . It's a great windlass but so far it's no chick magnet . I think she just wanted me to save some money
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote