Old 08-03-2015, 09:16 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I have a Vetus winch and that is the way it works....

In reality though...you tie off the anchor either way so even if they didn't disengage from one another, you could just lift the chain off the wildcat.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:39 PM   #22
Guru

Muir are good and have freefall.I believe they are available in USA, they back their product, even as they get old. They are fitted as a matter of course by Aussie boat builders like Riviera and Maritimo. Could be more expensive than Lofrans. If memory serves, I think ksanders sold his when he fitted a Lofrans and new anchor set up.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:51 PM   #23
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
RL lots of information on various windlasses, thought you might like to see how a Ideal vertical windlass looks on our Manatee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	030 (3).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	42808   Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	42809   Click image for larger version

Name:	024 (3).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	42810  
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:38 PM   #24
Guru

Neat set up HiDHo. Is that factory or DIY?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:42 PM   #25
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
I am in the middle of installing a Tigres and the Italians aren't big on documentation. They talk about a 3 wire motor but don't show the labeling of the terminals. The only terminal that is marked is the negative, but the mark looks like a 1. You have to assume the one of the left corresponds to M1 and the one to the right of ground is M2. I hate to assume.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:46 PM   #26
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Always liked the way you did that on HiDHo. I always thought that if my current on crapped out, I'd copy your setup. I like the way the plate cleans up the surface and spreads the twist load.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:07 PM   #27
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbrady View Post
I am in the middle of installing a Tigres and the Italians aren't big on documentation. They talk about a 3 wire motor but don't show the labeling of the terminals. The only terminal that is marked is the negative, but the mark looks like a 1. You have to assume the one of the left corresponds to M1 and the one to the right of ground is M2. I hate to assume.

Tom
In the wiring diagram shown here for 3 wire windlass motor, looking from the motor the wires look like: M1-left, negative(black)-middle and M2-right. If the M wires were reversed the windlass would still run but the foot switches would be reversed.......
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lofrans 3 wire.pdf (136.0 KB, 15 views)
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:04 AM   #28
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
HiDHo very pretty, but your anchors are too small, the wrong kind and you don't have enough chain.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:01 AM   #29
FF
Guru

The only really OLD windlass or capstans I see still working are IDEAL.

There us a reason.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:37 AM   #30
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I just don't see the reason to buy a foreign made windlass unless absolute cheapest initial cost is the only consideration. In addition to Ideal (came with the Hatteras. great little company with great service), there are very high quality and service windlasses made by RC Plath in Oregon, Lighthouse in California, and for small to mid size boats, Good in New Jersey. They don't have the marketing budgets of the conglomerate-owned foreigners, to be sure.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
The challenge I had when selecting my windlass was that the Ideal unit was twice what I paid for the Lofrans Tigress.

Double.

I like US made stuff as much as the next guy. I like quality made stuff as much as the next guy. That said the lofrans Tigress has a very long and very successful track record. I could see no logical reason to pay double for an excellent quality american made unit.

Lofrans is made in Italy...hardly a third world country with third world country labor prices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	42818  
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #32
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
It's a DIY. The Ideal people have great customer service. Larry add it to the work list, the plate idea was to spread the load and cover up the old windlass mounting holes, worked great BUT don't step on it with bare feet when it's sunny!
Very true HopCar, the port anchor has been sold and replaced with a Fortress, the starboard 45 lb CQR has served me well for 12 years and can't think of parting with and the 450' of 5/16 HT chain I know is probable the wrong type, size and mfg .........
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #33
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Muir are good and have freefall.I believe they are available in USA, they back their product, even as they get old. .
I had a Muir 1200 on my last boat and it was super! It had a couple of Zerk fittings (grease) that I've never seen on other windlasses. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) Once a year I'd give it a couple shots from the grease gun and that was all it took. I had it for 8 years and sold the boat with it still working.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #34
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Muir are good and have freefall.I believe they are available in USA, they back their product, even as they get old. They are fitted as a matter of course by Aussie boat builders like Riviera and Maritimo. Could be more expensive than Lofrans. If memory serves, I think ksanders sold his when he fitted a Lofrans and new anchor set up.
I bought the Muir from ksanders. I have yet to install it as other projects have delayed the installation, but it we are sure looking forward to having it on The Promise. I have been to the Muir site and have a the manuals and info I need once I get to this.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #35
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Keith,
Caltex said "foreign" not third world or Asain.
But if I had the need I'd buy the Lofrans too.
Muir, ideal and others as well.

Pray'in double is sometimes smart. And sometimes not so smart. Like my engine. Yanmar, Lugger ect were double the price. The're may be advantages to buying the high end engines but I don't see it.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #36

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Roger, do you mean it has a capstan only?
Yes, sorry, slip of the tongue. The current windlass has no provision for chain. It isn't very large so we plan to move it to the after deck to serve the loading boom.
Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:31 PM   #37
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
....... the port anchor has been sold and replaced with a Fortress, the starboard 45 lb CQR has served me well for 12 years and can't think of parting with and the 450' of 5/16 HT chain I know is probable the wrong type, size and mfg .........
I happen to know that up to a 25KG Rocna will fit easily with no alterations to the pulpit, Bill. I'm not saying you ought to dump the CQR, I'm just sayin that you could put a hefty Rocna on there if you wanted to......did I say "without alteration"?

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:59 PM   #38

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I happen to know that up to a 25KG Rocna will fit easily with no alterations to the pulpit.
I'd love to see a picture of that. I favor Mantus anchors myself so I'd like to get a feel for how tight it is.

You are talking about fitting into the stock rollers, right?

Do you think a smaller Rocna or Mantus would fit for a second anchor on the other side or would the top bail be too close to the bowsprit?
Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:26 PM   #39
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
I like US made stuff as much as the next guy. I like quality made stuff as much as the next guy. That said the lofrans Tigress has a very long and very successful track record. I could see no logical reason to pay double for an excellent quality american made unit.
No doubt you could have elected to pay double for any number of things on your boat, especially the boat itself (of the same size). All depends on one's short term finances, how long and how frequently one expects to have use of the item, and how critical the item is.

PS: on a cost per pound basis the Ideal "equivalent" of the Tigres is a little cheaper, 140 lbs vs 61... if you were comparing right and indeed the Ideal was double. Right now its closer to triple I believe, list wise.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:01 PM   #40
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
No doubt you could have elected to pay double for any number of things on your boat, especially the boat itself (of the same size). All depends on one's short term finances, how long and how frequently one expects to have use of the item, and how critical the item is.

PS: on a cost per pound basis the Ideal "equivalent" of the Tigres is a little cheaper, 140 lbs vs 61... if you were comparing right and indeed the Ideal was double. Right now its closer to triple I believe, list wise.
Yes, I agree. There allot of things in life, including my boat that I could have paid more for.

For me, a working man with finite finances I make a value judgement based on functionality, and reliability. I do not sacrifice either of those for price, but if I can buy a product (or a boat) that is both functional and reliable at a lower price I will of course do that.

Take the windlass for example. I paid around $2500 for it this spring. If the Ideal windlass is as you indicated 3X the price then it looks to me like I saved myself in the neighborhood of $5,000. Thats fantastic to me! Heck, thats in the neighborhood of what I just paid for my new watermaker, so to me I got a great reliable windlass and a great reliable watermaker with the savings. Yipppee!

So, you are right, at least partially so. It does have to do with finances. Actually it has everything to do with finances. I beleive it has zero to do with the criticality of the item or how long you expect to use it, within reason of course.

I have no issue with those that pay more for the things in life. We just need to be careful and not equate paying more with increased functionality, or reliability. Sometimes we're just paying more for more fancy, or paying more for a name, or payiing more for some other intangable thing.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote