Wind deflector??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cd30ketch

Veteran Member
First what is the proper name of the wind deflector on the flybridge? The curved plexiglass so many flybridges have. Second, has anyone made a template for making one for a defever 40? The boat I just bought does not have one it just has the brackets. I figured before I reinvent the wheel I would check to see if anyone else has done it all ready.

Venturi screen?

You can buy Plex a glass in different thickness and colors at most glass stores.****

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Sunday 12th of December 2010 09:40:48 AM

It's called a venturi. If it's made up of a series of flat panels, like the venturi on a Grand Banks, you can have replacement panels made for you by a plastics shop. If it's a single or multi-part curved venturi, you can still have one made up but it will not be inexpensive.

The best material for a venturi is Plexiglas. Lexan is stronger but according to the plastics shop a lot of us use in this area (TAP), Lexan is much more susceptible to scratching than Plex. TAP makes venturi panels and they always recommend Plex over Lexan for this purpose.

Just had a new one made for us by a local Plastic Company here near Baltimore. No magic, they came down, took the measurements, etc. and made a new panel. Chuck

If the venturi is close enough to the helm for a crew or you to grab it for support, consider loosely framing the plastic with a stainless rail. Yes, it would be expensive.

xfedex wrote:

If the venturi is close enough to the helm for a crew or you to grab it for support, consider loosely framing the plastic with a stainless rail. Yes, it would be expensive.
John Your photos are inspiring. Please don't let anyone from outside the Northwest see them.*
wink.gif

Carey wrote:

John
Your photos are inspiring. Please don't let anyone from outside the Northwest see them.*
wink.gif

Thank you for the kind words. Some pix have gotten out. I try to be discrete.

xfedex wrote:

This is a standard feature on newer Grand Banks for the reason that you describe.

I would be interested in a source for this in the Northwest.* We tried to have ours replaced by a glass shop in Anacortes.* He couldn't get the bend right and finally gave up after several failed attempts.* Anybody know who can do this in Portland/Seattle/Vancouver?
Lyle

Norwester wrote:

I would be interested in a source for this in the Northwest.* We tried to have ours replaced by a glass shop in Anacortes.* He couldn't get the bend right and finally gave up after several failed attempts.* Anybody know who can do this in Portland/Seattle/Vancouver?
Lyle
If you're talking about the venturi itself, try TAP plastics in Bellevue (and they may have other outlets, too).* They have told me they make both flat and curved venturi panels.

If you're talking about putting a stainless grab rail above the venturi panels, best bet is talk to a reputable boatyard to get the name of a good stainless tubing fabricator.* There are plenty of them around.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 18th of December 2010 02:24:49 PM

Ours had faded to a purplish colour by the time we bought the boat at age 14. I took the old ones to a glass shop and they matched them perfectly for curvature, on the first try. Apparently it involves drooping the plexiglass over a mold in a warm oven till the right curvature is achieved, then cooling them and the shape remains.
The new ones have kept their bronze colour for 15 years now, without any sign of fading to purple.

I am talking about the plexiglas.* For some reason the guy in Anacortes couldn't get the bend right after heating it.* Marin, thanks for the reference to TAP.* I'll give them a try.
Lyle

Whoever you take it to, be sure they have an oven large enough to hold the entire piece to bend it. Otherwise save yourself a lot of aggravation and pass if they don't have one. Chuck

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom