Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-21-2018, 07:15 AM   #1
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 17,735
Wilmington/Wightville Beach

Looking for a weekly or monthly slip starting around the 27th of this month in Wilmington/Wightville Beach.

Planning on stayingi in the area for 3 weeks.

Striking out and only getting daily rates available.

40ft plus overhangs, 4ft draft...no dogs or kids....

Thanks!
__________________
Advertisement

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:47 AM   #2
Guru
 
Tom.B's Avatar
 
City: Cary, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,477
Going for the high-rent district? :-)

Port City in new-ish and will provide the best facilities in the whole area, but it will cost you. But that's nothing compared to the marinas around the drawbridge. Go up The Czape Fear River to BBY (Bennett Brothers Yachts) and you will find a better deal. The Cape Fear runs pretty swift up there though, and BBY kinda hangs right out there in it.

Down at Carolina Beach, we stayed at Joyner. The facilities are half-assed, but the view of the ICW is pretty cool and there is a great beach nearby. It is right at the edge of Snow's Cut. When we were there, it was being run by a bit of a jerk, but I think he is gone now.

Still at Carolina Beach, we heard good things about Federal Point. It's inside the Carolina Beach byte and is one of the lesser expensive places in town. As-is the docks at the State Park, but it is a tight (and shallow) squeeze to get in there.

I would suggest you avoid inlet watch. That place was a dump when we looked at it.

Hope this helps... Good luck.
__________________

__________________
2000 Navigator 4200 Classic
(NOT a trawler)
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #3
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,424
I'm checking on a private slip 2.5nm north of WB bridge on the ditch. Protected, new docks but car needed to get to anything like a restaurant. I'll text you when he calls me back.

You could dink it to WB.

Dockside docks under construction, was down there yesterday. No go there for a couple months.

Downtown is a possibility. City docks or Port City Marina.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
boathealer's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina
Country: US
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Looking for a weekly or monthly slip starting around the 27th of this month in Wilmington/Wightville Beach.
Planning on stayingi in the area for 3 weeks.
Striking out and only getting daily rates available.
40ft plus overhangs, 4ft draft...no dogs or kids....

Thanks!
I spent much of 2017 at Port City marina. Walking downtown to restaurants, comedy club, theater, Sat farmers market, etc. was WELL worth the extra cost to us. Depends on your budget, tho.

Top-notch marina and employees.

Check the schedule for The Shell during the time you are there - you might get a free concert!!
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:52 AM   #5
Guru
 
Besslb's Avatar
 
City: Cary NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 724
There are also moorings now in Carolina Beach Bight.

https://www.carolinabeach.org/town_a...ring_field.php

Also try https://www.bradleycreekmarina.com/ . We viewed a boat there when we were shopping. Looked like a nice place to stay for a bit. (in wrightsville)
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 17,735
Thanks all....

Extra money for a handy marina is not really in my budget as much of the time will be spent visiting family.

The dockmaster at riverwalk said he could make me a deal.

But.... thanks Ski, would be great and appreciated. Sisters car and rentals are available, so good deal. And we know I take care of those that take care of me...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:14 PM   #7
Guru
 
Tom.B's Avatar
 
City: Cary, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The dockmaster at riverwalk said he could make me a deal.
One word of caution... LOCK YOUR BOAT! We were robbed while we slept moored on the town docks (I assume that is what you are referring to) a few years back. Something we, and several others, brought up to the owners of Port City while they built it. It's also why we have never been back. We are probably over the robbery, but it sure soured our pallet for Wilmington. I do want to visit Port City this year if we can.
__________________
2000 Navigator 4200 Classic
(NOT a trawler)
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
boathealer's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina
Country: US
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
One word of caution... LOCK YOUR BOAT! We were robbed while we slept moored on the town docks (I assume that is what you are referring to) a few years back. Something we, and several others, brought up to the owners of Port City while they built it. It's also why we have never been back. We are probably over the robbery, but it sure soured our pallet for Wilmington. I do want to visit Port City this year if we can.
Port city has 24hr security roaming the docks, and they patrol all night. They queried us when we first got there (late evening) as they did not recognize the boat.
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:38 PM   #9
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 17,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
One word of caution... LOCK YOUR BOAT! We were robbed while we slept moored on the town docks (I assume that is what you are referring to) a few years back. Something we, and several others, brought up to the owners of Port City while they built it. It's also why we have never been back. We are probably over the robbery, but it sure soured our pallet for Wilmington. I do want to visit Port City this year if we can.
are the docks where the boats are not locked?

was it an attack from the waterside?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:48 PM   #10
Guru
 
Besslb's Avatar
 
City: Cary NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 724
The robbery was on the town riverfront, and the area is open to public freely. Yes, we believe we were boarded from land side.

Port City Marina is on up just a bit on the river and has security.
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:51 PM   #11
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 17,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
The robbery was on the town riverfront, and the area is open to public freely. Yes, we believe we were boarded from land side.

Port City Marina is on up just a bit on the river and has security.
Thanks!
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #12
Guru
 
Besslb's Avatar
 
City: Cary NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by boathealer View Post
Port city has 24hr security roaming the docks, and they patrol all night. They queried us when we first got there (late evening) as they did not recognize the boat.
That is very good to know! THANKS!!
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #13
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,424
PSN- The Middle Sound Marina slips I talked about are somewhat do-able. Two slips are possible, but term might be shorter than a whole month. On both the owners are expecting to bring their rides to the dock in like three weeks. Nothing concrete right now, but expect to hear something back tomorrow.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:52 PM   #14
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 17,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
PSN- The Middle Sound Marina slips I talked about are somewhat do-able. Two slips are possible, but term might be shorter than a whole month. On both the owners are expecting to bring their rides to the dock in like three weeks. Nothing concrete right now, but expect to hear something back tomorrow.
super, let me know....
__________________

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012