Willard 40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gahmadi

Vessel Name
Zingara
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 39-50
I am considering purchasing a 1984 Willard 40.

Any opinions or experiences with the quality of the Willard trawler?

I am considering purchasing a 1984 Willard 40.

Any opinions or experiences with the quality of the Willard trawler?

Several members on the forum have Willards. They are generally considered to be well made boats and probably the original recreational trawler.

Willard 40

If this is the one you're considering, it looks to be quite nice.

Ted

I own a W40 widebody sedan, homeport is Anacortes, WA. This past week I crewed on another W40 that we delivered from Seattle to San Francisco. This boat was equipped with paravanes, which made the trip possible considering we were traveling 10 miles offshore and under small craft advisories for most of the trip. We've owned our Willard for ten years and cruise the Inside Passage and SE Alaska. Everywhere we go serious boaters recognize the Northstar as a Willard and want to chat about these notable vessels. There is simply no other single engine displacement trawler available for the money (maybe the KK42) but that is a very different boat. Here's a link to my W40: www.northstar.talkspot.com

Several members on the forum have Willards. They are generally considered to be well made boats and probably the original recreational trawler.

Willard 40

If this is the one you're considering, it looks to be quite nice.

Ted

Oh! That is a nice looking boat. I'm so tempted to jump back in ....

Friend of mine had one, great design and inherent quality. I once visited the Willard factory in the late 60's/ early 70's (dazed and confused) where a friend of a friend worked a summer job, a story unto itself, fun day. One of his complaints was how finicky they were about things being done exactly right. Now they just do government and commercial work.

I own hull #1 of the Willard 40s. I bought it after it took my wife and I 3,100 miles from LaConner to GBNP and back in safety and comfort despite limited captaining experience. It's simple to run, heavily built, as seaworthy as only full-displacement boats can be, has great range, has room for plenty of fuel, water, and stuff, etc. We went north with five boats and had more fuel and fresh water than any of the others. We had more hot water than one boat had water. When the main head relay went out, I found that Willard had used a ford motor starter relay from the 1970's that was easy to get at the Petersburg NAPA store. That said, it's not very fast, doesn't have the square footage of living space that wedding cake boats do, lacks a swim step, the aft deck is set up more for dining than for fishing or easy dink entry. But every boat is a compromise. After 90 days afloat all we wanted was more of this boat!

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1473819393.792160.jpg There's a picture my wife took from the dink of me on the flybridge in front of South Sawyer Glacier.

It's also supported by an avid owner community!

My W40 is now for sale...widebody sedan, repowered, articulating rudder, Kabola hydronic diesel heating, new galley. For complete details and price, please go to: www.northstar.talkspot.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom