Old 02-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #1

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Some input please- Ping Forklift

I noticed from another thread that you own a 42 present Sundeck. That boat is on my short list of my next boat purchase and I absolutely love the lines and layout and was wonderring if I could get your thoughts. The second boat on my short list is a 44 Marine Trader sundeck w/aft cockpit any input on that boat would also be appreciated. I am aware of soft decks and window leaks associated with these boats. Thanks.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
RE: Some input please- Ping Forklift

Sorry Chris-
I missed your post. We love the Present 42. The layout offers lots of room, not to mention 3 areas outdoors to gather. Aft deck, flybridge and the bow area. I will shoot you a PM with my cell number.
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:21 AM   #3
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

I forgot to mention that that our Present 42 doesn't have cored decks, just FG with an occasional "strip" glassed in. We never had teak decks. All this would save you some headaches.
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:51 AM   #4
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Some input please- Ping Forklift

Quote:
Forkliftt wrote:

I forgot to mention that that our Present 42 doesn't have cored decks, just FG with an occasional "strip" glassed in. We never had teak decks. All this would save you some headaches.
I honestly don't know the contruction methods of cored decks...whether there are strips glassed in or whether the entire deck is cored all the way out to the deck joint(I wouldn't think so). *I don't know the geometry of it all but a cored deck is significantly stronger than a solid one of the same thickness...and lighter too. * I have been on a boat with solid FRP decks and it was a nightmare. *Coincidently, I think it was a CHB made boat....that little 31 sedan that they built. *It was an absolutely beautiful little boat that we wanted to buy. *The only issue was the decks CRUNCHED underneath your feet. *You read that right....you could here the fibers crunching and creaking with each step. *The solid decks just weren't thick enough to support the weight of the average human. *That, or over time, they just got worn out from all of the flexing.

Anyway, I would think solid decks are very rare and probably not a good thing. *I would also think your Present has more core than you think....and that is not a bad thing.

And BTW, the Present Sundeck is very high on our "dream" list of being the next boat. *The volume of the 42 is AMAZING. *The thing is gigantic!!! *Anyway, just for our uses the Present 38 Sundeck would be more our to our liking....simply due to (gigantic)size only. *It just seems more manageable to us. *The issue is the 38 seems to be rare....there just aren't that many out there....at least ones for sale. *One of the biggest attractions to me about the Presents(among all of the other things) is the arrangement of storage space....read DRAWERS!!! *They are plantiful and they are huge. *There is no need to be creative about how you store your things. *You just put them in a drawer...just like you do at home. *Anyway, I know that sounds stupidly simple(and I know most readers have heard me go on an on about this) but it sure makes life aboard so much easier and comfortable. *The other manufacturer that I see do this is Hatteras.....and to a lesser degree, Prairie(which also happens to be a Jack Hargrave design...maybe Jack had the right idea).

I should have just posted my pic below and saved my "thousand words"!!! *This is how you do it...Present's version first and then Hatteras:

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 08:35:19 AM

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 08:57:23 AM
Attached Thumbnails
drawers2.jpg   drawers3.jpg  
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:02 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

As for the MT 44, those molds were used by several builders in Taiwan (see 1998 article on Taiwan Trawlers in PM) and you get various different qualities, depending on whose MT you get. Don't write them off due to rumors of problems. Get a survey and see if the one you are looking at is any good.
My C&L 44 is out of the MT mold. After 31 years, it has no deck issues, and all the window leaks have been dealt with. Otherwise, my loudest complaint is over the lack of shine on the house FG. You will find that most of those boats that have survived this long have had any issues resolved.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote