Old 02-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #21
Rob
Veteran Member

RE: This will really stop the pirates

While cruising and minding our own business in the Alaskan Inside Passage much to*our surprise, the "Lady Anne" gets raided by the local Pirates of Anan Bay.
Talk about Shock and Aw! We were able to survive our raid by offering Hot Dogs and Beer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1017.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	4975   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1024.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	4976  

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #22
Per
Guru

This will really stop the pirates

Kids, you might rethink that strategy..

look at the holes in this boat, from pirate attack..

-- Edited by Per on Monday 21st of February 2011 01:12:35 PM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	samho_jewellery_holes-03.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	4977  

Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #23
Grand Vizier

Yikes.

I'm going to need a bigger gun...
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Pirate incidents are one thing. Bad for those involved. But state supported "incidents" can be much worse. Look what a torpedo did to "my boat" in 1967 (over and above what Mirage jets had done to her). I was 15' from where it hit. This incident ended up with 34 or so killed and 100 or so wounded out of a total complement of about 175. And then there is all out war... even worse. What we need re the pirates is a return to 18th century methods ....every country is free to catch 'em and hang 'em wherever they may be. Sorry for the incoherent, spontaneous rant and this should probably be moved to OTDE. I'm usually fairly left leaning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hole2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	4982   Click image for larger version

Name:	hole3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	4983  
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #25
Grand Vizier

Taking a torpedo and having the story to tell to your grandkids - glad you made it David.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #26
Per
Guru

David, being from Denmark I hear much of the news related to pirates of the worlds largest container line Maersk Line.
There are big discussions going on currently whether or not to arm the vessels or place weaponed guards onboard.

Likewise there is a huge controversy with what to do with captured pirates.
Where they can be tried and under which country law and which imprisonment etc.
pirates improve their life expectancy by many hundred percent by being captured and tried in a western civilized country.

btw, i dont disagree with you.. Piracy must be dealt with fiercely deadly force, inevitably this will discourage criminals to go this route.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #27
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Going to the depths of my warm and fuzzy side with regards to pirates, I must insist their boats be burned and their corpses fed to the sharks. Instananeously. 5 minute trial at sea and we're done.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #28
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:

Pirate incidents are one thing. Bad for those involved. But state supported "incidents" can be much worse. Look what a torpedo did to "my boat" in 1967 (over and above what Mirage jets had done to her). I was 15' from where it hit. This incident ended up with 34 or so killed and 100 or so wounded out of a total complement of about 175. And then there is all out war... even worse. What we need re the pirates is a return to 18th century methods ....every country is free to catch 'em and hang 'em wherever they may be. Sorry for the incoherent, spontaneous rant and this should probably be moved to OTDE. I'm usually fairly left leaning.
David, what a horrible experience.* How was the ship saved with so many of the crew as casualties?* It must have been just horrific!!!!!

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #29
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40

If the video is actually what it appears to be I like the way the Russians deal with pirates....

And have the balls to put it on Youtube!

HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
hollywood8118 wrote:
If the video is actually what it appears to be I like the way the Russians deal with pirates....

And have the balls to put it on Youtube!

HOLLYWOOD

No court appearance necessary!

Old 02-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #31
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

This was a step in the right direction, but as was seen in the Russian video, again the pirates were simply let go.* That don't seem right.........................Arctic Traveller

PIRATE MOTHERSHIPS CAPTURED
Following heavy industry criticism of the failure to intercept pirate motherships, the Danish warship HMDS Esbern Snare last weekend challenged one such vessel forcing it to surrender.
A weapons cache was seized, 16 pirates detained and 2 Yemeni hostages were freed. In a similar incident, the UK warship HMS Cornwall captured a second mothership with 17 pirates onboard
however in both cases, and to the dismay of industry, the pirates were released. The official and mind boggling justification for their release was that they were doing nothing illegal.
In stark contrast, the lone pirate captured following the attempted hijacking of Maersk Alabama last year was sentenced this week to 34 years as a guest of the US Government.
On a brighter note, the International Chamber of Shipping this week signaled a more aggressive policy on piracy with tacit approval for the placement of armed guards on merchant
ships (see the attached press release). A total of 33 vessels with 712 hostages are currently held off Somalia.
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #32
Guru

The four crew members aboard the sailing yacht Quest were murdered by their captors this morning.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110222/ap_on_re_af/piracy

Perhaps a different approach to this problem will now be forthcoming.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #33
Per
Guru

Tim,
It is terrible news, very very sad.
i know the pirates involved in that attach have already been dealt with but i surely hope in the future that these criminals will be met with much more force than the catch and release going on currently...
Old 02-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #34
Guru

Two pirates killed, thirteen arrested. There should have been no surviving pirates.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:

Have to agree with Carey on that one!
Times three.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #36
Guru

This is a very sad day.* I worry that the pirates were trying to make a point.* They had to know the U.S. Navy would have a Seal team ready to strike.* Were they sending a message?* Horrible, horrible day.* Send them all to the bottom, and arm every ship. ...............Arctic Traveller
Old 02-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #37
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Very saddened by this news. And the way we (mid)deal with the pirates makes my blood boil. Hopefully these fine people will not have died in vain and we do something effective in controlling these idiots.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Baker wrote:Hopefully these fine people will not have died in vain and we do something effective in controlling these idiots.
I fear this might be difficult as I have read several places now that it's suspected the pirates are sponsored by terrorists who have found a new source of funding.* The best offence is a good defence.* Arm the ships, and at the first sign of a boarding, blow them out of the water..............................Arctic Traveller

Old 02-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Arctic Traveller wrote:

This is a very sad day.* I worry that the pirates were trying to make a point.* They had to know the U.S. Navy would have a Seal team ready to strike.* Were they sending a message?* Horrible, horrible day.* Send them all to the bottom, and arm every ship. ...............Arctic Traveller
You got it. It's the only answer.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #40
Guru

This will really stop the pirates

Quote:
Mike wrote:

From the website neptunuslex, a site run by a retired Navy CVN squadron commander and former TOPGUN instructor -

Quote -

"Fire Discipline

The truly remarkable thing in the denouement of the Sailing Vessel Quest hostage taking, is how utterly unremarkable were the actions of the special forces who attempted to come to the rescue of the hostages after shots were fired:

On Monday, two pirates had peacefully come aboard the USS Sterett to negotiate with naval forces for the release of the hostages, and remained aboard overnight.

But at 8 a.m. East Africa time Tuesday, a rocket-propelled grenade was fired from the Quest at the USS Sterett, a guided-missile destroyer 600 yards away. The RPG missed and almost immediately afterward small arms fire was heard coming from the yacht, said Vice Adm. Mark Fox, commander of the U.S. 5th Fleet in Bahrain.

U.S. forces converged on the Quest in small boats and some pirates moved to bow and put up their hands in surrender.

A member of a U.S. special operations force killed one of the pirates with a knife, Fox said. A second pirate was also killed, and the bodies of two other pirates were discovered on board, bringing to 19 the total number of pirates involved. The U.S. military didn't say how those two died and it was not known if the pirates had fought among themselves.

To recap: Sterett is taken under fire, and shots are heard aboard the pirate vessel. Navy special forces attempt to stabilize the situation and provide first aid. The SEALs find four US citizens mortally wounded. They quickly find themselves in a position of power over murderous pirates who literally have blood on their hands. And in the elevated emotions of the moment, with their fury up and their countrymen bleeding out, they exercised an almost superhuman forbearance, using deadly force only to the degree that it was necessary, and only upon those who were an imminent threat: World class warriors treating monsters with a humanity, when it would have been easy - oh, so easy - to let the firearms do the talking.

They held their fire not because the pirates deserved it, but because it was the right thing to do. Because on that almost infinitely graduated scale that authorizes the use of deadly force, the pirates - having surrendered - were no longer enemy combatants, and therefore in a firmly in a protected class.

The pirates probably knew, they had to have known, that they would be treated with more humanity than they themselves had just shown to four defenseless civilians.

Because the SEALs are warriors, not killers.

And that makes all the difference."

END OF QUOTE

Mike
Merritt Island, FL.
TOO BAD!

All the pirates we treat so humanely will end up killing more of our neighbors. Absolutely no mercy from me. I'm for outta sight outta mind. Get it over with.

-- Edited by Carey on Tuesday 22nd of February 2011 07:57:09 PM