Old 05-20-2017, 05:13 PM   #41
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We lost Morgan 13 months ago. He had a stroke while we were in the Bahamas. At 12 years old, he had a good run as we did. All I had to mentioned was going for a ride and he was like the energizer bunny in the dinghy and it wasn't take him to shore to pee.

The one down side of having a pet is they don't live as long as we do. If you wait, you may never leave.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 425ac.jpg   Picture 436a.jpg  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:57 PM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Kingston
Vessel Name: Foresight
Vessel Model: 1968 Hunter Boat Corp, Suisun Bay
Yeah, my girl Calypso is single, still. But spade, so no more baby Caly's.... ;(

These days, she hangs out wth two pure-bred Corgies! But I'll pass on the admiring comment to her. But -- most Porties have blue-colored skin, so she probably won't blush in any shade WE two-leggers understand.
Salishseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:30 AM   #43
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I'm just wondering where you folks are finding all these typing dogs! Very impressive. I didn't even know they existed!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:48 AM   #44

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1989 Wellington 57 motorsailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Its why I like a cat on board.
Does its thing in a tray outside, eats fish scraps and is sure footed.................most of the time.

She fell off that rail a few nights ago and did a lap and a half of the boat before we lifted her out with a landing net.

We happily leave her all day or night, she just curls up on her bed and sleeps, couldn't care less if we are there or not as long as there is food.
lol she doesn't look too happy there.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:51 AM   #45

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1989 Wellington 57 motorsailer
Louie, you sound like you are well adjusted to boat life. I don't think you will have any problems being left alone on the boat for short periods. I wish my little dog was enjoying boat life. She shivers and gets stressed being on the boat, even while at the dock. I hope she gets used to boat life soon cuz we want her to be part of our cruising.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:58 AM   #46
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
We put down my travelling companion's dog in Beufort, SC last year....not pretty.

The dog did not travel well at all....even the smallest bit of motion was traumatic...big boat, dingy or car.

We were forced to use marinas virtually every night because the dog would try and jump out of the dingy at worst, at best would come back wet and sandy and climb all over her. ...making her cruising experience miserable. The expense of marinas and disappointment in few anchor outs didn't make me happy either.

The dog did almost 4 round trips to FL.....lots of heartache at times....but my companions best friend so we all compromised.

I was not alone.... having met many pet owners with similar issues as those happy with their pets.

Like boat owners who never say anything is wrong with their boat or just don't post about it, doesn't mean that some dog loving owners don't wish they didn't have to cruise with them.

Not being mean, just honest and have a lot of experience with cruisers, liveaboards.

Also, saw a few dogs overboard and lost in my years in the USCG....wonder if there is a nationwide statistics or info on how to help prevent it.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:44 PM   #47
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
We've been thousands of miles with our dogs. They'd rather be on a boat than anywhere else. Just keep a bowl of water at all times and leave the A/C on when it's hot. Also they wear harnesses at all times around docks and boats so they can be retrieved. It happens.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote