That will buff right out - boat hits ferry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well that would certainly wake you up if you were napping! Lucky it didn't cut them in half,

That boat held up remarkably well given the apparent force of the collision.

The ferry had the right of way (and the skipper of Nap Tyme seems to clearly be at most fault), but the ferry crew is still responsible for avoiding collisions. It'll be interesting to see what steps (if any) they took to avoid Nap Tyme.

Wow. It turned our surprisingly well for Nap Tyme. He was probably taking his Nap.

Retriever: Please explain how the Ferry had the right of way. To me it would appear Rule 15 would apply. Thanks

Retriever: Please explain how the Ferry had the right of way. To me it would appear Rule 15 would apply. Thanks
Yep. I agree.

Rule 15 - Crossing Situation*[http://www]

(a) When two*power-driven vessels*are crossing so as to involve risk of collision, the vessel which has the other on her own starboard side shall keep out of the way and shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, avoid crossing ahead of the other vessel.

You're right...not sure why I momentarily thought the boat was coming from the other way.

Retriever: Perhaps since it appears to be a double ended ferry and at the end of the video it appears the ferry is backing down hard it may have seemed like it was going the other way.

That boat held up remarkably well given the apparent force of the collision.

The ferry had the right of way (and the skipper of Nap Tyme seems to clearly be at most fault), but the ferry crew is still responsible for avoiding collisions. It'll be interesting to see what steps (if any) they took to avoid Nap Tyme.

What am I missing here? The pleasure boat was the stand on vessel based on what I was seeing in the video. The pleasure boat was approaching on the ferrys starboord bow. Was the ferry in a narrow channel? Constrained by draft? Big boat little boat rules say the pleasure boat should have let the ferry go but that's another story.

Even though the pleasure craft was the stand on vessel, I question his decision to play chicken with the ferry. If that's what actually happened.

I actually think he must have been taking a bathroom break or something.

It would appear as though the ferry boat did indeed have the right of way and the smaller boat was the give way vessel. Evidently there exists a special puget sound traffic control pattern that protects any ferry underway. Probably involves some homeland security measures also in that it is against the law to come within 50 feet even when the ferry is stopped.

I often wonder when a WS Ferry is departing the terminal, which side of the ferry is starboard, and which is port. These are double-ended boats, so the end profiles are the same. I always assume the ferry is going forward, but then sometimes once away from the terminal, it spins, eventually going forward with the opposite end as bow. In the bright sunshine, its difficult to see whether green or red navigation light is illuminated.

The other thing about Washington State Ferries in my experience, is that they do not monitor Channel 16. I've called them many times on 16th with no results, but eventually raise them on 13. They also monitor the Vessel Traffic Service channel for their area.

Anybody have any different experience?
What am I missing here? The pleasure boat was the stand on vessel based on what I was seeing in the video. The pleasure boat was approaching on the ferrys starboord bow. Was the ferry in a narrow channel? Constrained by draft? Big boat little boat rules say the pleasure boat should have let the ferry go but that's another story.

Even though the pleasure craft was the stand on vessel, I question his decision to play chicken with the ferry. If that's what actually happened.

I actually think he must have been taking a bathroom break or something.

Sure. Now you want to bring common sense into play:)

The ferry blowing 5 whistles says that he clearly felt that he was the stand on vessel. So maybe there is a local traffic pattern coming into play.

Last edited:
There is a "security zone" established around all Washington State Ferries of 1500 yds. while moving and 50 yds while moored.

We have some ferries that go across the ICW to Port Aransas. There are three of them running usually and they always have the right of way IMO, even if I was the stand on vessel. They are really moving pretty damn fast and they scare the hell out of me.

I never can remember the rules well enough to know if I'm stand on or give way, so I always just give way. Unless it's a sailboat, then I always cut in front of them. (Just kidding [emoji51]).

Sure. Now you want to bring common sense into play:)

The ferry blowing 5 whistles says that he clearly felt that he was the stand on vessel. So maybe there is a local traffic pattern coming into play.

5 soundings of the horn has nothing to do with whether he is or thinks he is the stand on vessel or not.

Looks like that ferry was almost to the Vashon dock, so more than halfway across. Trawler should have been aware of the ferry. I would say he is lucky to be alive. Can't tell from video when ferry started backing down. Lived on Vashon for 20 years, never saw anything like that, riding those boats.

5 soundings of the horn has nothing to do with whether he is or thinks he is the stand on vessel or not.

I understand that. Five blasts Says that he doesn't understand the other vessels intentions. However if the ferry felt that he was the give way vessel he would have been figuring out a way to give way and not so concerned about giving five blasts. Wouldn't you say?

From the video it's hard to tell if the ferry made any attempt to give way until the collision was unavoidable...if at all. Regardless of who is at fault a collision is something to avoid.

Wifey B: The ferry had the louder horn. I mean, really, that should have waked someone up from their Nap Tyme. :)

It looks to me that the smaller vessel was going into the sun. I think that played a factor even if he thought he was the "stand on" vessel. Nevertheless boat vessels have a duty to avoid a collision if one is apparent

If the ferry had rapped the power 2 seconds sooner it's wash would have blown the smaller boat away from the collision.

I think the CG will take a pretty dim view of the actions or non actions of both parties here. Neither took early and decisive action to avoid the collision. CG will likely rule both at fault to some degree.

Newspaper said pleasureboater was using the head. The ferry was almost stopped when collision ocurred, otherwise that boat would be on the bottom. Can't tell from video when he backed down, probably right after he started sounding his horn. I think that ferry normally runs about 12-15 knots.

I never can remember the rules well enough to know if I'm stand on or give way, so I always just give way..

I remember the rules just fine but I give way anyway. I see no value in making my point on the water, especially since all parties involved can be held responsible for not avoiding a colision. It appears in this one could have been a lot worse.

Based on the relative position of the two vessels it looks as if trawler was the stand on vessel. However RULE 2(b) is also important here.

2(b) In construing and complying with these rules due regard shall be had to all dangers of navigation and collision and to any special circumstances, including the limitations of the vessels involved, which may make a departure from these rules necessary to avoid immediate danger
In other words the trawler should have done something when collision was immnient.

About 5 seconds into the video, just about the time one of the passengers says "Jesus..." the camera woobles left and we can see the ferry is close to the slip. There have been rulings that a ferry approaching it's slip is to be considered navigating in a narrow channel. This can supersede "right of way" from being on the right side.

9. Narrow channels
  • A vessel proceeding along a narrow channel must keep to starboard.
  • Small vessels or sailing vessels must not impede (larger) vessels which can navigate only within a narrow channel.
  • Ships must not cross a channel if to do so would impede another vessel which can navigate only within that channel.
I also note that at the time of the actual collision we can see the prop wash from the ferry. That means the ferry had been backing hard for some time to avoid the collision.

It will be interesting to see how the authorities deal with this one.

Anyone know the brand and model of the yacht? She would appear to be built like the proverbial brick outhouse. Our old Albin-25 is rugged, but eventually we might want a larger vessel.

Not sure that was prop wash, I was thinking thrusters

It will come down to this. If both parties had done all the right things, no collision would have occurred. It is the responsibility of both vessels to avoid collision.

Back
Top Bottom