Old 12-15-2016, 06:51 PM   #261
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
After all the back and forth about radars, sonars, electric toothbrushes, toilets etc., we are left with one inescapable conclusion. This collision was totally avoidable. Bad decisions or delayed decisions are the cause, plain and simple.
Yup. Most definitely.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #262
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Both skippers contributed to crash between ferry, powerboat

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #263
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Quote:
I think the CG will take a pretty dim view of the actions or non actions of both parties here. Neither took early and decisive action to avoid the collision. CG will likely rule both at fault to some degree.
I think this was pretty easy to see coming....
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:09 PM   #264
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
The ferry captain sounds like a class act. 34 years without an accident and he steps up and takes responsibility for not acting fast enough to prevent a collision with a nitwit. The powerboat operator, on the other hand, represents one of my worst boating nightmares.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:45 PM   #265
Guru

The effectively unmanned powerboat on autopilot,"Nap Tyme"(well named eh?) gets primary responsibility, the ferry gets some for late response. I agree with Angus, the ferry captain was noble in readily accepting some responsibility.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:08 PM   #266
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
The ferry captain sounds like a class act. 34 years without an accident and he steps up and takes responsibility for not acting fast enough to prevent a collision with a nitwit. The powerboat operator, on the other hand, represents one of my worst boating nightmares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
The effectively unmanned powerboat on autopilot,"Nap Tyme"(well named eh?) gets primary responsibility, the ferry gets some for late response. I agree with Angus, the ferry captain was noble in readily accepting some responsibility.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:14 PM   #267
Guru

Quote:
According to what? In the article at least there was no percentage of blame placed, both contributed to the incident. Ferry skipper lost his license albeit briefly. Him being probably the more experienced and likely only licensed party would be held to a higher standard than some boob on auto pilot taking a leak.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:39 PM   #268
Guru

Quote:

I don't want to disparage the Captain at all however, his reported statements don't really say much. He was found to be a contributing cause of the accident by both the USCG and the WSF system. At that point, he was already found to be at fault. What else is he going to say? If he wants to work again he certainly isn't going to say that he didn't agree with the judgement, particularly since he only got a two week suspension. That isn't even a slap on the wrist, more of a wink and a nod.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 03-01-2017, 10:48 PM   #269

City: Billings
Vessel Name: Bladerunner
Vessel Model: Sea Ray
Those of us privilged enough to boat recreationally on the water should have a special respect for the men and women who operate commercial craft. Technically, in the case, there has been a determination of shared liability. But realistically, morally, a ferry operator should never have to dodge a vessel with no one at the helm. These operators are working people doing a difficult job. It probably wouldn't occur to me, as a ferry operator, that a vessel would be unmanned on autopilot.

I boat the San Juan and Gulf Islands frequently, and I get way out of the way of any commercial traffic. I don't arbitrarily assert right of way or maritime rules--they have a job to do, and I don't make it more difficult. In fact, I get out of the way of rude recreational traffic as well. Hopefully my reward will be in Trawler Heaven.

There is a difference between the legal, technical answer and the right answer. If we do more than our share on the water, and the commercial guys do more than their share, we can all enjoy the same waters.
tkrfxrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:18 PM   #270
Guru

Quote:
According to what?
Reading and interpreting the report.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:37 PM   #271
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrfxrs View Post
Those of us privilged enough to boat recreationally on the water should have a special respect for the men and women who operate commercial craft. Technically, in the case, there has been a determination of shared liability. But realistically, morally, a ferry operator should never have to dodge a vessel with no one at the helm. These operators are working people doing a difficult job. It probably wouldn't occur to me, as a ferry operator, that a vessel would be unmanned on autopilot.

I boat the San Juan and Gulf Islands frequently, and I get way out of the way of any commercial traffic. I don't arbitrarily assert right of way or maritime rules--they have a job to do, and I don't make it more difficult. In fact, I get out of the way of rude recreational traffic as well. Hopefully my reward will be in Trawler Heaven.

There is a difference between the legal, technical answer and the right answer. If we do more than our share on the water, and the commercial guys do more than their share, we can all enjoy the same waters.

I agree completely with the above.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 03-02-2017, 12:06 AM   #272
Guru

City: Boston Area
I think greater fault has to go to the ferry captain simply because he's expected to have a greater knowledge as a licensed professional. The pleasure boater is definitely a bigger idiot for leaving the helm. I would think the ferry captain would have known something was amiss on the Nap Tyme as soon as it entered the 500 yard protection zone around the ferry.....that should have given him well over a minute to react.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:10 AM   #273
TF Site Team

I'd love to know the amount of the fine paid by Nap Tyme.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:13 AM   #274
Guru

That the ferry is a big commercial vessel gives him no special status. If it did the CG would have ruled the boob on NapTyme full fault. They didn't. Of course we all try to stay out of the way of ferrys, big ships, tugs etc., that's just common sense for most of us. But that does not absolve responsibility of the ferry crew to AVOID a collision.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:17 AM   #275
Guru

Quote:
Reading and interpreting the report.
Nothing was mentioned about apportion of fault. Both were at fault, more or less equally for different reasons, insofar as can be gleaned from this article which of course may not tell a complete story. The ferry captain failed to take early action to avoid collision. He is expected to assume that others around him are stupid and must be closely watched to ascertain potential danger. He didn't do that soon enough.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:32 AM   #276
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
That the ferry is a big commercial vessel gives him no special status. If it did the CG would have ruled the boob on NapTyme full fault. They didn't. Of course we all try to stay out of the way of ferrys, big ships, tugs etc., that's just common sense for most of us. But that does not absolve responsibility of the ferry crew to AVOID a collision.
Now THAT, I agree with.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:17 PM   #277
Veteran Member

City: Tsawwassen/Point Roberts
Vessel Name: Tolly Roger
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 SC
Nap Tyme getting fixed

https://gigharbormarina.com/nap-tyme...ter-ferry-hit/
Tolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:37 PM   #278

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolly Roger View Post
DAMM! I was there this morning. Wish I'd thought to look around a bit.
'prof
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:42 PM   #279
Guru

I hope the skippers thought processes get a good buffing too!
Old 03-30-2017, 10:27 AM   #280
Guru

I have a sailboat waiting to have work done there, Nap Tyme's work is keeping me waiting. When I saw it last week a cursory look made it look pretty close to be completed. I didn't look closely though.

Dave
SPOT page