Old 02-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #21
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Edelweiss,
Calling our power "hydroelectric" may be less accurate than it has been in the past. I seem to recall we may get more of our power from coal than hydro sources. And if so we should give coal it's due ..... "Black Coal Power".

I looked it up .... Sources of PSE power.
24% coal.
So it seems "Dinoelectric" would be more correct.
That must be the numbers for the entire multi state Northwest Power Grid. Because the legislature is debating eliminating all coal power as we speak and the remaining coal fired power plant in Centralia will close in 10 years. They give the state percentage of coal generated power at "less than 14%" in Washington.

Washington State debates law to wean off coal power - Electric Light & Power
Old 02-17-2015, 03:43 PM   #22
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. D. Water that is moving is very much less apt to freeze. Water movement is generated around the hull either by a stream of air bubbles rising to the surface from a compressor via submerged tubing or a submerged waterproof motor with a propeller both mounted under or very near the hull.
We have never actually seen one but I was aware they use them at our marina. After thinking about your reply, I guess they must be used to try to keep ice from building up around the pilings in the harbor but there was so much ice last year, the Marina Associations report said some docks were damaged with an attendant special assessment. All the boats are hauled by around early November. There is about 15-20" of ice on the lake off Lake Michigan. I will Google to see if I can find a bubbler used for a boat. Since we are only there for the summer, we never saw the bubblers at our marina in action but we are told we can't fish off our slips in the harbor because it might damage the bubblers.

Is the OP in danger of having his hull crushed by ice?
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:12 PM   #23
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
We have never actually seen one but I was aware they use them at our marina. After thinking about your reply, I guess they must be used to try to keep ice from building up around the pilings in the harbor but there was so much ice last year, the Marina Associations report said some docks were damaged with an attendant special assessment. All the boats are hauled by around early November. There is about 15-20" of ice on the lake off Lake Michigan. I will Google to see if I can find a bubbler used for a boat. Since we are only there for the summer, we never saw the bubblers at our marina in action but we are told we can't fish off our slips in the harbor because it might damage the bubblers.

Is the OP in danger of having his hull crushed by ice?
Google "Ice eater" or "ice agitator"

Having same problem as OP. My round displacement hull is just getting squeezed upwards (about 1' at the bow). I'd be really concerned with a hard chined boat like his.
Attached Thumbnails
001.JPG  
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:47 PM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Along the same lines as ice having the ability to crush hulls, what thickness of ice can one potentially travel through/break with a FRP hull or is this activity not recommended at all?
Old 02-17-2015, 05:59 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Greetings,
Along the same lines as ice having the ability to crush hulls, what thickness of ice can one potentially travel through/break with a FRP hull or is this activity not recommended at all?
Strictly a guess .... if I had a hard chined boat I'd get worried around 6". I've seen that thickness do huge damage to docks. it's not only the thickness, wind and current driving a 500 ton sheet of 3" ice would scare the hell out of me.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #26
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Sitka, Alaska is 48 F today. We may not get winter this year.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #27
Guru

I've been living aboard west of Toronto for twenty years now. I've never seen ice anything close to this. It started about 2.5 weeks ago with an extremely heavy snowfall at -24 degrees C. I've never seen it snow when it was that cold before. The snow was freezing on the water surface and built up a 2' thick slush in an afternoon. That slush froze and we have not been able to beat it back since. Ice within 10' of my boat is 3' .
Old 02-17-2015, 06:24 PM   #28
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. bp. You may have misunderstood. If one was underway and came upon a frozen section of waterway, what is the maximum thickness of ice one could break with a FRP hull?
Old 02-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Greetings,
Mr. bp. You may have misunderstood. If one was underway and came upon a frozen section of waterway, what is the maximum thickness of ice one could break with a FRP hull?
No clue.

I did bring a 40' Mainship through 1' clear ice in Port Credit Harbour Marina a few years ago, did it very slowly as I was quite worried, that stuff can be sharp and the Mainships have thin hulls.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:26 AM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Maurader
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Trawler
I'll be chipping ice tomorrow.

Basically bubblers bring up warmer water from the bottom and push it towards the boat.

I talked to one of my friends that lives in a marina in the heart of the city. They have it much easier down there, protection from the islands and surrounding buildings they don't get as much wind as we do. Although he is completely iced in as well.

Any ice is bad ice with fiberglass. It's a bit weird only about 1/2 the people down here bubble, the others just don't bother. Not sure the reasoning, Pretty sure there isn't that many steel hulls around here.
kyle911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:46 AM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Maurader
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Trawler
i should say too, I put logs around the boat to help with the bubbling. They stuck about 10 inches above the water. At this moment I can't see them at all, the ice took over.
kyle911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:49 AM   #32
Guru

The water at the surface at my boat is -2C, The water on the bottom is 0C (18' down)
I believe the "bubbler" works by 95% agitation and 5% by warmer water.