Old 04-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #41
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Heron, I'll be on the boat this weekend with my Rogue and Android tablet (Samsung Note 8) and will give it a try. Until now, I've always searched the wifi sources on the laptop. I'll let you know how it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Excellent info...and thanks Al...Let me know how it works!
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
It will, just type wavewifi.com In the browser.
Since I was on the boat, I tried it out this weekend. Just like Oliver said, it works fine with the tablet.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #42
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Since I was on the boat, I tried it out this weekend. Just like Oliver said, it works fine with the tablet.
Thanks Al!

Old 04-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #43

City: Virginia Beach
Vessel Name: Tuscan Sun
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I decided to go with the Wirie since it is an all-in-one unit. Now I need to figure out how to connect it. I have a breaker on the pilothouse 12V panel that only powers the stereo. I'm thinking I can add the Wirie to that circuit, but how do I know that for sure, and how do I do it? Is it as easy as just putting the right connectors on the Wirie wires and connecting them to the circuit breaker? Obviously, I'm an electrical novice, but it seems like this is something I should've able to do.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Good practice is not to have two feeds come off one breaker (for AC that is prohibited). If you want to use that breaker, that a cable from the breaker to a terminal block or post and then power both the stereo and the wifi amplifier from the terminal block or post. Better yet buy an inexpensive fuse block for DC (direct current) and have the breaker feed the fuse block and have separate smaller fuses for each of the stereo and the wifi.

If put a fuse block under the helm you will find many more things it that can connect to it. I have added a multiple DC charging station for cell phones, IPADs, VHF radios etc. This alone required a 15 amp fuse.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Good practice is not to have two feeds come off one breaker (for AC that is prohibited). If you want to use that breaker, that a cable from the breaker to a terminal block or post and then power both the stereo and the wifi amplifier from the terminal block or post. Better yet buy an inexpensive fuse block for DC (direct current) and have the breaker feed the fuse block and have separate smaller fuses for each of the stereo and the wifi.

If put a fuse block under the helm you will find many more things it that can connect to it. I have added a multiple DC charging station for cell phones, IPADs, VHF radios etc. This alone required a 15 amp fuse.

Thanks Marty. That doesn't sound too hard.

I have two spare 12V 10 amp breakers in the main pilothouse panel. I suppose I could use one of those, but I would have to run the line much further.

I am planning on mounting the Wirie on the boat deck railing immediately aft of the starboard aft corner of the pilothouse. We have a wide-body so there is no comparable railing on the port side to get closer to the main panel.

Obviously, we have a number of antennas connecting though the pilothouse roof, but the Wirie has to be rail mounted. Do you see any issue with brining the connection in through the aft pilothouse bulkhead just below the roof?

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Old 04-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #46
Guru

Just installed my wirie...first post from the boat. I mounted mine to my radar mast and wired to an unused breaker. Seems to work great....having trouble posting a pic with this tablet though..
Old 04-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #47
Guru

Wirie pic:
Old 04-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #48
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Nice! You're going to love the improved wifi range. If you find you need more range, mounting it higher might help.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:23 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Just installed my wirie...first post from the boat. I mounted mine to my radar mast and wired to an unused breaker. Seems to work great....having trouble posting a pic with this tablet though..

Looks good. I should get mine tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll get it installed this weekend.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Old 04-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Nice! You're going to love the improved wifi range. If you find you need more range, mounting it higher might help.
Yup Al...As you can see, I have lots of potential mount points! This seemed the least obtrusive and I had an easy cable run into my Bridge structure. I'm right on the edge of several signals at the dock...They all come in clearly now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Looks good. I should get mine tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll get it installed this weekend.
Pretty simple...Just figure your mount point and run power to 12V. Software set-up is easy...
Old 04-28-2015, 06:06 PM   #51
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Quote:

Do you see any issue with brining the connection in through the aft pilothouse bulkhead just below the roof?

Sounds like it would work. The place you described mounting the antenna and radio are exactly where we have them mounted on Bay Pelican, another Krogen 42. We have the interior items in the saloon with the cables run up to the boat deck through the galley cabinets. We have an air conditioning chase between the galley counter and the upper cabinets.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:10 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Quote:

Do you see any issue with brining the connection in through the aft pilothouse bulkhead just below the roof?

Sounds like it would work. The place you described mounting the antenna and radio are exactly where we have them mounted on Bay Pelican, another Krogen 42. We have the interior items in the saloon with the cables run up to the boat deck through the galley cabinets. We have an air conditioning chase between the galley counter and the upper cabinets.

Thanks Marty. That is what I'll do then. I'm very leery about punching holes in the boat though. But I guess I need to get used to it.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Old 04-29-2015, 01:18 AM   #53
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
For those of you looking at going the cellular data card route, be advised that you really need to use 2 antennas to get true LTE speeds. Using 2 antennas can almost double your speeds.

We use a Sierra USB AT&T modem that has two antenna inputs.

That plugs in to a Cradlepoint MBR1200B that along with an Ericsson W35, KVH VSAT and Wave Rouge all go into a Wave MBR 400 Multi-WAN Router. Then on to a Kerio Control before being distributed around the boat by Cisco SAP1602i Wireless APs.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote