Old 04-20-2015, 09:39 AM   #21
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Question for Android users......
I am right on the edge of 2 available signals at my dock. I'd like to be able to enhance those without adding a laptop to the boat......Just using android tablets. Will something like the Rogue with a wireless router do the trick? I can configure the system with a laptop if necessary but would prefer not to keep that on the boat. Just need an enhanced connection to the available signals for the Android's to hook to...
Yep, you can access the Rogue over your wireless router on your android or any-other wifi enabled device with a browser.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:44 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
As others have indicated In my opinion cellular data is the way to go.

We have this on our boat for our router.

Since the marine satcom units don't work in Alaska we have an Apple TV as well.

We are able to watch TV, movies, anything we want via the cellular system.
Its not as cheap as Satellite TV but it works very well.

The setup also provides a always on internet connection for the cameras, surfing, whatever we want.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #23
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
As others have indicated In my opinion cellular data is the way to go.

We have this on our boat for our router.

Who is your ISP? I had been happy with Clear, but suspended whenever my boat was out of the country. Now I am told that because of their merger with Sprint, and because I had suspended due to financial hardship (I guess they inferred I must be hard up since I didn't want to pay $50/month for several months when I couldn't use their service, but instead wanted to utilize the suspended service program they offered as part of their prepaid package), they won't reactivate and won't sell any other comparable service.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #24
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
Who is your ISP? I had been happy with Clear, but suspended whenever my boat was out of the country. Now I am told that because of their merger with Sprint, and because I had suspended due to financial hardship (I guess they inferred I must be hard up since I didn't want to pay $50/month for several months when I couldn't use their service, but instead wanted to utilize the suspended service program they offered as part of their prepaid package), they won't reactivate and won't sell any other comparable service.
I use AT&T as my provider.

We frequently travel outside cellular range though, since in Alaska cellular is limited to port areas mostly.

When out of cellular range the system automatically falls back to the KVH satellite system. With KVH we get 2mbps download speeds, but the cost is higher so we don't stream movies on satellite.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 04-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #25
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
We have had a WirieAP for years, works great and sets up a wifi network on the boat so all our devices can interface with each other.
After looking at all the systems mentioned, I think I like this the best. No separate router needed as it's an all in one unit with Wifi hotspot capability. Easy 12v hook-up and no ethernet cabling required..
Old 04-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #26
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
After looking at all the systems mentioned, I think I like this the best. No separate router needed as it's an all in one unit with Wifi hotspot capability. Easy 12v hook-up and no ethernet cabling required..
Panbo has a recent review on WiFi and Cell booster strategies. I found it to be a good read. Very interested in the WirieAP+ which boosts both WiFi and 4G LTE signals.

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Onboard WiFi and cell booster strategies, the diagrams
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #27

Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
WiFi Hot Spots

We have a wifi antenna that we've been using for a few years, it's not very big but it helps a lot in an anchorage or if you're at the very end of the dock. It's an Alfa, it was only something like $30, it's sponsored by active captain. The range ends up being near a mile if your line of sight isn't obstructed. It hooks up via one usb cable and its power draw isn't even measurable.
DaddyoJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Question for Android users......
I am right on the edge of 2 available signals at my dock. I'd like to be able to enhance those without adding a laptop to the boat......Just using android tablets. Will something like the Rogue with a wireless router do the trick? I can configure the system with a laptop if necessary but would prefer not to keep that on the boat. Just need an enhanced connection to the available signals for the Android's to hook to...
Heron, I'll be on the boat this weekend with my Rogue and Android tablet (Samsung Note 8) and will give it a try. Until now, I've always searched the wifi sources on the laptop. I'll let you know how it works.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Panbo has a recent review on WiFi and Cell booster strategies. I found it to be a good read. Very interested in the WirieAP+ which boosts both WiFi and 4G LTE signals.

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Onboard WiFi and cell booster strategies, the diagrams
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Heron, I'll be on the boat this weekend with my Rogue and Android tablet (Samsung Note 8) and will give it a try. Until now, I've always searched the wifi sources on the laptop. I'll let you know how it works.
Excellent info...and thanks Al...Let me know how it works!
Old 04-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Vesty
Vessel Name: GhostriderIII
Vessel Model: 28m ocean tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Or get a MiFi unit from a cell carrier for 50 bucks a month and not have to worry about security or trying to get a password.
For $160/mo we use a wireless setup with security and 50g
Ghostrider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #31
Guru

WiFi Hot Spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

It will, just type wavewifi.com In the browser.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 04-21-2015, 06:06 AM   #32
FF
Guru

The best unsecured wi fi is found running the loop in Canada , its free with electric so has no value and is frequently keft on , forever unsecured.

There are fewer home , business broadcasters on the ICW , but usually enough so the computer can snatch a connection and pass and receive E mail.

Probably not for banking , but most E mails have little of value .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #33
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
WiFi Security

Have seen several comments that unsecure WiFi hotspots are not suitable for banking. Every financial institution has implemented the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) for web login and other access. SSL is basically encryption. They have also obtained Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) certificates to identify and validate the site itself.

I would argue that banking and financial transactions are secure. Where there are problems with unsecure hotspots are things like doing financial transactions with mom and pop type web sites that haven't implemented strong encryption measures and/or sending private information via email. Best way to check the type of connection you have is to look at the URL. If it is https, the data is encrypted. Be leery of sending private information such as SSNs via email from ANY WiFi hotspot or any other internet connection.

Much more troublesome than WiFi hotspots is using a public computer or using someone elses computer in WiFi hotspots or otherwise.

As always, please use antivirus and internet security software and keep it updated with the latest signatures.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:07 AM   #34

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
A good way protect your traffic when using public Wi-Fi networks is to install and use a"virtual private network" (VPN) software application. There are many suppliers of free and paid VPNs.

I have been using Hotspot Shield for a couple of years and find it works very well. Started with the free version and then bought the Elite version ($30/year). I use it in my laptop, iPhone and iPad.

https://www.hsselite.com

(These VPNs are also good to connect to, say, Netflix in the US or BBC i-Player in the UK from abroad.)
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #35
TF Site Team

In my opinion the biggest underrealized risk to data security is not banking, thats protected well.

Its your corporate email.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 04-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #36
Guru

I also use The Wirie AP simple set up. Island time didn't function properly for me, Bob couldn't figure it out.
Wife used VPN in Canada, no issue.
Much more unsecured wifi in US than in Canada IMO.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I also use The Wirie AP simple set up. .
That's the decision I just made....and ordered.
I really like the simplicity and feature set. Simple 12 hook-up and built in wireless router. Upgradeable to 3G/4G as well..On a small boat like mine, the simpler the better..

Old 04-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #38

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: Inspiration
Vessel Model: 420DB
I've been using Rogue for few years with good results. As others have mentioned, realistic range is couple of miles, not 5-7. It's probably among more expensive options, but I think it provides very good ROI, as it's still within reasonable cost.

Unlike cell boosters, I've tried couple, and IMHO, it's a waste of big bucks. My last attempt was buying Wislon Sleek 4G LTE booster with external antenna and I'me dissappointed with results. I wish there was much better product which doesn't cost $1K.
Alex F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #39
Guru

BTW Wave wifi has great customer service. They were a pleasure to deal with.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 04-21-2015, 11:47 AM   #40
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I paired my Rogue Wave with a Cradlepoint CTR35 router and have been very pleased. I haven't use the 3G/4G capability yet but enjoy the performance, small footprint and 12V power options. It comes with a wall wart to convert 110V AC to 12V DC. They also sell a 12V cord for $25.

I just hard wired the unit to a fused 12V terminal block and mounted a switch to my panel. The Rogue unit gets its power from the ethernet cable connected to the CTR35, so all power is selected with one switch. The total power draw is so miniscule that I don't consider it a problem and often leave it on for days.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote