Old 07-13-2015, 07:37 AM   #21
Guru

City: Sydney
Maybe little out of you way but we love Lord Howe Island 2 hours flight off Sydney Just Saying

gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #22
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Thanks for the reminder car dude, and the suggestion Pau Hana.

One of those on the list is just an hour's cruise for me. The Star of Greece Cafe.
I'm going to make a booking for my wife's upcoming birthday before I forget. (again)

Sorry Cardude- I don't have any suggestions for your part of the world, but it sounds like you'll have to wait until your birthday to boat to your destination.

AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #23
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
East coast? August? My choices would be the Canadian maritimes (Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton/Nova Scotia, New Brunswick. We just got back from two weeks up there and its fantastic, a totally different scene than what the OP is used to. Plenty of things for wife and kids to do and see. Lots of music festivals and events, including a big one on the north side of PEI. Some great beaches too; the water is fairly warm up there due to the way the currents run.... they say the warmest north of the Carolinas.

Highest recommendation.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:35 AM   #24
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
We've picked some of our best winter vacations by looking first at airline schedules. Who flies non-stop from here to someplace? (Sometimes complicated only a little by focusing on the airline I can get free flights with, at the time.)

Of those, which someplace seems nicest. (Sometimes complicated by focusing on which hotel chain I can get free rooms with, at the time.)

Manage costs. Pick. Go.

-Chris
Old 07-13-2015, 09:07 AM   #25
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Wife birthday trip

Thanks for all the great ideas.
Keep 'em coming!

Marin,

Wife thought Renion Island sounded interesting. When she googled it this was one of the first things she saw.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2246022/sha...s-and-surfers/

I surf and understand sharks are out there, everywhere, but there sure is a lot of bad press about shark attacks at this island. Some say the the reason is the French gov banned the selling of Bull and Tiger shark meat in 1999 and now Bull sharks have infested the island? Could all be BS.

Did you encounter any of this on your photo shoot, or was it before all this developed?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #26
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Bill: After careful analysis and discussion with other TF members, we got to thinking about what a boat owner's wife really could enjoy for her Birthday, not necessarily private or secluded, but definitely as she indicated...."no boats". Isn't there a Chippendale's near you?
Attached Images

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:49 AM   #27
Guru

That would definitely be easier Larry.

😄😄😄😄😄
Old 07-13-2015, 10:44 AM   #28

City: louisiana
Look up Akumal on the Yucatan Pen. About 80 clicks south of Cancun. In a limited development zone, great beach on a small bay with a barrier reef to break the swell. Freshwater to salt lagoon to snorkel walking distance. You can rent a condo for a week and a car to drive down from Cancun. Lots of things to do in the area. I first went there in the late '70's and then again in the late '90's...not much changed relative to the development further north. I came really close to buying a condo there.
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #29
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
St. George Island, Florida. White sand beach, house rentals right on the beach, best beach on the Gulf Coast. No golf courses, water slides, no buildings taller than 3 stories. Big time relaxation.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:03 AM   #30
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Comanche View Post
St. George Island, Florida. White sand beach, house rentals right on the beach, best beach on the Gulf Coast. No golf courses, water slides, no buildings taller than 3 stories. Big time relaxation.
That's a good place Bill could drive there. There are a couple of restaurants on the island, but the oysters at East Point are great. Applichicola is just a short drive with some great restaurants. Definitely laid back, and all about the beach. My sister goes there almost every year.

St. George Island - St. George Island Visitor Center located on St. George Island, Florida
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #31
Guru

Wife birthday trip

St George Island is an awesome spot. We went there about 10 years ago on a family vacation. I remember eating oysters in Apalachicola.

That's a definite possibility. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #32
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
St. George Is. about 3 weeks ago. Note the waterspout in the 1st picture , we watched it for at lease 30 minutes, never did come ashore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1218.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	42027   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1192.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	42028  
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:13 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Thanks for all the great ideas.
Keep 'em coming!

Marin,

Wife thought Renion Island sounded interesting. When she googled it this was one of the first things she saw.

‘Shark Island': Reunion Searches For Ways To Separate Sharks And Surfers
Don't know anything about that. So I have no idea if there are a lot of sharks there or not or what they are or are not doing. However, as places become more popular with tourists and more and more people are doing things like surfing that put them in proximity to creatures like sharks I don't find it at all surprising that more attacks occur. Put more and more people in proximity to bears and more and more bear encounters occur. I don't find the fault in either case to be with the animals.

I grew up n Hawaii and there were (and I assume still are) sharks of all flavors-- hammerhead, tiger, etc.-- all over the place all the time. I did aerial fish spotting for a group of commercial fisherman for awhile-- found the fish and then went back when their boat was there and guided their dropping and pulling the net around the school. Some of this was in Kaneohe Bay which is one of the world's major breeding grounds for hammerheads. There would be times I would be doing this and a monster hammerhead would approach the boat and the people in the water, I suppose out of curiosity. I'd tell the guys about the shark and where it was and they never seemed concerned about it.

The station's helicopter pilot told me about how huge schools of sharks would hang out in the outflow from the big Hawaiian Electric plant out by Barbers Point. The outflow water was warmer than the seawater and the sharks seemed to like it for some reason. The next opportunity I had I flew over there to take a look. Sure enough there were hundreds of big sharks all holding in the outflow. A hundred yards away was one of the prime surfing spots on the south side of the island. I have no idea if the surfers knew about the presence of this mass of sharks right next to them or not, but so far as I can recall there were never any attacks there during my time over there.

Growing up there as a kid and then in my twenties doing a lot of ocean fishing there I became very familiar with the animals that lived around us in the water. And while it never deterred me from splashing around in the water near shore at the beach with my friends, I developed my own philosophy about doing stuff in the ocean. And that is this: The ocean is full of animals with really big teeth. They don't come out and bother me, so I won't go in and bother them.

Reunion is a remarkable island. In a way it's a mini-Hawaii. A lot of the plants and trees are the same as what I grew up with, and a lot of the birds. They have different names, of course. There is an active volcano at one end of the island and the island's volcanic heritage has given it a remarkable geography, more so in my opinion than the islands in Hawaii with the possible exception of Molokai.

Another set of islands we worked on are the Seychelles. If it's beaches you like, the Seychelles have better ones and many more of them than Reunion. I have no idea about the surfing-- I don't recall seeing anyone doing that while we were shooting there. However while we did have the opportunity to visit a couple of the islands and do some "local color" shooting for a couple of days we were working primarily with the airline so did not see near as much as we did on Reunion where our whole reason for being there was to shoot everything of interest on the island.

When we were there the climate on Reunion was very similar to that of Hawaii. Reunion is more or less as far below the equator as Hawaii is above it. The Seychelles, however, are considerably hotter, at least in our experience.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:00 PM   #34
Guru

Very interesting information. Thanks.