Old 09-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Before you travel "any significant" distance to look at a boat have the broker/owner email you high resolution pictures with that days local newspaper in it. Date on the newspaper doesn't lie.
And if a broker misleads you into a wild goose chase, get another broker. There are brokers who will listen to what you say and your requirements and then find boats that meet it.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Pittsburgh Pa.
That's funny; old pictures. After looking at a few thousand listings over 4 months I've developed a pretty discerning eye. Some pictures are so old they're yellowed or pictures of girls with 80s hair styles.

Iknowimcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #43
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=BandB;270392]And if a broker misleads you into a wild goose chase, get another broker. There are brokers who will listen to what you say and your requirements and then find boats that meet them.

Brokers. That's something I've considered. My search area is pretty much limited to the Great Lakes region. Anybody know anybody that knows somebody who has a brother-law?
Old 09-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #44
Veteran Member

And yes. Before it's mentioned; when I do find the right vessel, and when I'm willing to lay down a decent pile of cash money (by my standards) I will hire the most highly regarded and recommended surveyor I can find. Regardless of cost.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #45
FF
Guru

>However, if you find a person who lives on their boat, most all systems will be in working order and looking good as well as running good. The salon will smell like Coffee in the morning, bread at noon and cookies in the evening. It will be turn key, ready to go cruising. The price will reflect it with an extra 50K.

Many liveaboards havent moved from the slip , or run the engine in 1/2 a decade.<

Because there is the >chance< the engine might be used , manana (not today , maybe tomorrow) most of these dock queens refuse to do DA Book, Out of Service for over 30 days procedure and always pay the price.

A Dock Queen , deduct $50K from the rational price.

Lived aboard for over 22 years ,saw them all.

What makes a great liveaboard has little to do with cruising in terms of equipment .

With the power hose 24/7 refrigeration , lights , heat will serldom be chosen for operation underway , just low cost.

If a cottage on the water is the goal a good liveaboard would be a good low cost choice, if putting away into the sunset is the dream, make a list of what will need to be replaced to make an useful cruiser .

The answer is seldom keep the house junk and run a noisemaker 365 days a year.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #46
Veteran Member

I learned a real hard lesson about 15 years ago. I purchased a 1985 911 Coupe with low miles and impeccable service records from the local dealer that had the cars maintenance history. I made arrangements to see the car. It was November in Pa. and cold and drizzly. The car was at an apartment complex. Divorce sale. It was dirty, wet, Golden Retriever hair all over the interior. I looked the car over while the seller warmed the engine. Everything looked straight. It had brand new Pirelli rubber and the normal paint chips I would expect on a 15 year old car. The underbody was clean and never bottomed out. The solid lifters sounded perfectly tuned. I had pre-arranged to take the car to a guy I knew; an eccentric German who looked over a list of clients cars, mostly collectors. The seller and I drove down to the Wally's, the mechanic for a quick inspection. We all went for a drive with Wally at the wheel. The seller was crumpled in the "back seat". It was cold and a little icy so we couldn't get on it, but it did everything it was supposed to do. Wally gave it thumbs up.
If you've gotten this far you know the car was dirty and wet from sitting outside for a few months.
The next day, after sitting in my garage all night I pulled it out to wash and detail. It wasn't until I started buffing the wax off when I noticed the almost imperceptible dimples. Everywhere. Tiny as they were, they were there. Sleet damage or light hail. The more I buffed the worse they looked. I lost $10K that day.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #47
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
From personal experience, for example: not to get too specific but there's a boat for sale in Titusville, FL. Been for sale for a long time, low price, navy blue hull (I'm a sucker for a dark blue hull). It's been listed on the 'net forever and I looked at the listing for over a year. The photos show a mirror-shiny hull, looks like it's been buffed and waxed yesterday, great shape. Earlier this year I just happened to be in northern Florida so I thought what the heck, I'll take a detour and finally see that boat in person. Seagulls were nesting on the flybridge. Plywood in some of the portlight/window openings. Boy was that an annoying waste of time and gas. I don't even know why sellers do that kind of thing -- even with an eBay purchase, 99% of the time it's not as if anybody is going to hand over the cashier's check without ever having seen the boat at all -- only to find a family of raccoons living in the upholstery. It's such a waste of time for both the buyer and the seller himself too.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #48
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I know why so few trawlers are divorce sales...

Thats because the guy becomes a liveaboard!

My wife asked me one day, just out of the blue... (and yes she was happy that day).

"If I kicked you out, it wouldn't bother you much would it?"

I was honest and told her that except for missing her, no it would not bother me at all. I'd just move onto the boat.
Well now Kevin, what if she had said: "I'm leaving, and taking the boat" Would that have bothered you much?
Old 09-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
From personal experience, for example: not to get too specific but there's a boat for sale in Titusville, FL. Been for sale for a long time, low price, navy blue hull (I'm a sucker for a dark blue hull). It's been listed on the 'net forever and I looked at the listing for over a year. The photos show a mirror-shiny hull, looks like it's been buffed and waxed yesterday, great shape. Earlier this year I just happened to be in northern Florida so I thought what the heck, I'll take a detour and finally see that boat in person. Seagulls were nesting on the flybridge. Plywood in some of the portlight/window openings. Boy was that an annoying waste of time and gas. I don't even know why sellers do that kind of thing -- even with an eBay purchase, 99% of the time it's not as if anybody is going to hand over the cashier's check without ever having seen the boat at all -- only to find a family of raccoons living in the upholstery. It's such a waste of time for both the buyer and the seller himself too.
Like an old sales boss I once had used to preach: Qualify! Qualify! Qualify!
Old 09-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #50
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Once went to a yard to look at a boat with my broker. Another boat was in the middle of a beautiful varnish job. When I asked about that boat I was told "they are putting lipstick on a pig." I never forgot that line and its not so hidden advice.

Howard
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:21 AM   #51
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Once went to a yard to look at a boat with my broker. Another boat was in the middle of a beautiful varnish job. When I asked about that boat I was told "they are putting lipstick on a pig." I never forgot that line and its not so hidden advice.
I had a 50' wooden Tolly moored next to me 10 years ago that was freaking gorgeous. Everything was either polished brass or literally gold-plated. My mechanic said he'd done the engine maintenance and made some comment about how a hooker looks late in the evening after quite a few drinks. It ended up selling to someone in Australia for north of $250K.

I hadn't contributed to this thread because I didn't think I had much to add, but the Porsche anecdote roped me in. I can't remember a time when I didn't think I knew everything I needed to know about boats, and the idea that I would ask an Internet group for advice about buying a boat is mind-boggling. But when I went to buy a Boxster a few years back I went to Squire Tomasi because that's where my friends who raced Porsches went. So I guess my advice is, when you don't really know what you are doing, find the absolute best person to advise you and make it worth their while. Squire ended up becoming a friend.
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:23 AM   #52
Veteran Member

City: NC-Fl
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43 MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
>However, if you find a person who lives on their boat, most all systems will be in working order and looking good as well as running good. The salon will smell like Coffee in the morning, bread at noon and cookies in the evening. It will be turn key, ready to go cruising. The price will reflect it with an extra 50K.

Many liveaboards havent moved from the slip , or run the engine in 1/2 a decade.<

Because there is the >chance< the engine might be used , manana (not today , maybe tomorrow) most of these dock queens refuse to do DA Book, Out of Service for over 30 days procedure and always pay the price.

A Dock Queen , deduct $50K from the rational price.

Lived aboard for over 22 years ,saw them all.

What makes a great liveaboard has little to do with cruising in terms of equipment .

With the power hose 24/7 refrigeration , lights , heat will serldom be chosen for operation underway , just low cost.

If a cottage on the water is the goal a good liveaboard would be a good low cost choice, if putting away into the sunset is the dream, make a list of what will need to be replaced to make an useful cruiser .

The answer is seldom keep the house junk and run a noisemaker 365 days a year.
Point well taken. Now that you said it, I do know of a few dock queens. Stay away from that kinda boat. So find a livaboard that actually goes cruising. Trouble is catching up to a full time cruiser. They are always on the move.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:45 AM   #53
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
As for the boats that were someone's dream, but end up never leaving the dock-some sage advice from our outstanding young Seahawk QB, (in an ad, don't remember who for!), "Dreams don't just come true, they are made to come true". Too many either forget, or never learn, you work just as hard on your dreams as anything else.

THD is offline   Reply With Quote