Old 09-23-2014, 11:43 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
I never cease to be amazed at how many boats sit almost completely idle at our marina all season. I've watched one with the same big cobweb on the mooring lines for five months. I don't get it. Okay, I can even understand dock queens that never leave the slip, if you really want what amounts to a floating cabin on the water - but some of the owners never visit their boats all season - boats where none of our dock neighbors, including some of those who practically live aboard in the summer, have ever seen the owners, ever. What a waste of disposible income.

kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:53 PM   #22
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Just for S&G - I wonder what %age of "pleasure" boats are actually cared for on a regular basis and used at least occasionally as compared to the ones that simply sit idle and waste away. I bet in many U.S. locations the unused/uncared for well outnumber the used??

Talk about $$$$ to burn! Do other nations also experience such wasteful practices regarding boats?

Hummmm...

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:57 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
What a waste of disposible income.
The most tragic loss isn't the wasted dollars on the unused boat. It's the life impact. These are people who are not finding any recreational or family time. Life is passing them by. Worse than what is happening to the boat is what is happening to the owner.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:17 AM   #24
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
I have seen the answer myself after trying to move my 6'5" frame around in my 3'5" engine room. Any one want to buy a boat with an ER for pigmys?
Bill Bishop had a great post on that issue this week!
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:26 AM   #25
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
The most tragic loss isn't the wasted dollars on the unused boat. It's the life impact. These are people who are not finding any recreational or family time. Life is passing them by. Worse than what is happening to the boat is what is happening to the owner.

True - Sign of the times. Obviously you have a heart! Congratulations...
Old 09-24-2014, 12:30 AM   #26
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Bill Bishop had a great post on that issue this week!

All toooo True!! lol
Old 09-24-2014, 12:42 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Every boat in the harbor represents someones dreams.

Sailboats outnumber trawlers and cruisers in my harbor probably 2 or 3 to one.

I'd say that almost every large sailboat represents someones dreams of sailing off into the sunset.

Most sail boats never leave their slip.

Dreams that never came true.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:00 AM   #28
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
We have a storage unit in a big storage complex. It's filled with old cars that never move, cars I'm sure people think they'll restore someday but eventually squirrels build nests in the seats, and snow melts into the dashboards in the spring. A parking space in that storage yard costs $10 a month, big deal. Never-used bigger boats on the other hand cost thousands to store, launch, slip fees, winterize, re-launch - for no reason. We all have hobbies that grow dust because we're too pressed for time, but bigger boats are in a different league in my mind - they're a constant, significant financial drain just to own, whether you use them or not. That's what I don't get. My unfinished woodworking projects don't cost me anything, sitting on a corner of the shop for years, but those big boats cost so much we better darn well use it every chance we get or else unload the money drain.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:19 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
When my boat goes on sale shortly, if asked, my answer will be simple and truthful.
Much as we have loved our boat and enjoyed her, we love our eldest son and his wife and our two cute grandkids over in London more, and unfortunately, if we are to see anything much of them, the travelling has to take precedence over the sailing. Not quite sure how I'll cope the rest of the time mind you.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:09 AM   #30
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I know why so few trawlers are divorce sales...

Thats because the guy becomes a liveaboard!

My wife asked me one day, just out of the blue... (and yes she was happy that day).

"If I kicked you out, it wouldn't bother you much would it?"

I was honest and told her that except for missing her, no it would not bother me at all. I'd just move onto the boat.
That's an Alaskan for you :-)
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #31
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:

I'd say that almost every large sailboat represents someones dreams of sailing off into the sunset.

Methinks that is because most sailboat owners have health problems!

Our neighbor took us out on his fairly new 40' Catalina a year or so ago. After seeing all the work involved to get under sail and participating in hoisting and lowering the sails, my wife, who previously had raced sailboats confessed she was physically struggling with the sail. Up to then, we were seriously considering buying a similar size sailboat. Well, we ended buying a trawler this spring. Our neighbor now has his boat for sail because it is too much work for the two of them. We have been using the trawler whenever weather permits. No health problems.....yet ... but learning to dock a single engine Taiwanese Tub Classic almost sent me to the psych ward. Since I am too large for the ER, we will probably become check writers.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Methinks that is because most sailboat owners have health problems!

Our neighbor took us out on his fairly new 40' Catalina a year or so ago. After seeing all the work involved to get under sail and participating in hoisting and lowering the sails, my wife, who previously had raced sailboats confessed she was physically struggling with the sail. Up to then, we were seriously considering buying a similar size sailboat. Well, we ended buying a trawler this spring. Our neighbor now has his boat for sail because it is too much work for the two of them. We have been using the trawler whenever weather permits. No health problems.....yet ... but learning to dock a single engine Taiwanese Tub Classic almost sent me to the psych ward. Since I am too large for the ER, we will probably become check writers.
I think there's health problems and then also just that it becomes too much work. Whether it's aging or just getting tired of doing it. When one is first working on the boat they purchase, that's part of the fun of it. But later that is just work that stands in the way of fun. I use to know people near me who had homes in the city and lake cottages. They'd soon find that every weekend they got to the lake was spent doing lawn work, repairing docks, doing maintenance to the house and little time on the water. Well, same thing with boats times many. We don't sail for just that reason. It's more work than we want to do. And that has nothing to do with health or age, just basically lazy I guess. And we'd never have the patience or skills to restore an old boat. Some people don't go into boating with any perspective of what it is really like. Then the reality hits them.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #33
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Pray tell, why is it so many boat owners have health problems? .............
Let's remember that the OP is looking at trawlers. Young people usually go for speed, middle aged people may go for a sport cruiser or sailboat. It's generally the older folks who buy trawlers. Older people generally have more health issues and more serious health issues. Issues that may keep them from enjoying their boats.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Let's remember that the OP is looking at trawlers. Young people usually go for speed, middle aged people may go for a sport cruiser or sailboat. It's generally the older folks who buy trawlers. Older people generally have more health issues and more serious health issues. Issues that may keep them from enjoying their boats.
And a large portion of the population continues to work until they have health problems.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:37 AM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Pittsburgh Pa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Not only Trawlers, but higher end Trawlers in good condition, updated and cared for. I'm looking at vessels to $160K+. Many of these boats sold for today's equivelant of $500K or more in the late 80s. It's pretty easy to weed out the obvious dogs through photos. When I see a quality brand boat like a Hatt or GB or Tolly with 4 pictures of peeling bright work and mold around the windows I pass. Boats with 80 to 100 pics of impeccable cleanliness and apparent maintenance get a second and maybe third look.
Iknowimcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #36
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iknowimcrazy View Post
Not only Trawlers, but higher end Trawlers in good condition, updated and cared for. I'm looking at vessels to $160K+. Many of these boats sold for today's equivelant of $500K or more in the late 80s. It's pretty easy to weed out the obvious dogs through photos. When I see a quality brand boat like a Hatt or GB or Tolly with 4 pictures of peeling bright work and mold around the windows I pass. Boats with 80 to 100 pics of impeccable cleanliness and apparent maintenance get a second and maybe third look.
Be careful- it's not hard to spruce up a boat for sale, and give the appearance of owner care......hiding the turd beneath.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #37
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Exactly

Quote:

Exactly, and those boats represents the chance of still living the dream. I think people are holding on to the dream, paying monthly moorage and boat payments. Hope of someday escaping the grind and humdrum of life. When I had my boat in Alameda, my boat was the only regularly used boat in a harbor of 400 boats. In fact it was referred to as the boat that leaves the harbor. I would guess that 80% of these boats were sailboats. Harbored in one of the best sailing venues in the world.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #38
Veteran Member

City: NC-Fl
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43 MY
That would make me really mad if the boat looked clean in the pictures, then when you went to see it in person is was all dirty and unkept. I looked at a ski boat one time that the owner said "like new condition". When i drove 2 hrs to see it, it had 12" of winter leaves all inside. It didnt have a boat cover all winter. I asked the guy why he said "new condition" and he said all you need to do is vacuum the leaves out and wash it and it will be like new. I was so mad, I just walked away. I also went to a boat show with all kinds of used boats (no mega yachts) just smaller 30-50ft kinds. Even though most looked good on the outside, they had a moldy, potty, diesel smell. I could tell they were neglected. Deals like that are easy to come by on Yacht World at a great price. However, if you find a person who lives on their boat, most all systems will be in working order and looking good as well as running good. The salon will smell like Coffee in the morning, bread at noon and cookies in the evening. It will be turn key, ready to go cruising. The price will reflect it with an extra 50K.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #39
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Many boats listed for sale actually use the pictures of the boat from when the current owner originally bought it or when the boat was pristine. Alway confirm with the broker if the pictures were taken recently, and if so, how recently.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #40
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Before you travel "any significant" distance to look at a boat have the broker/owner email you high resolution pictures with that days local newspaper in it. Date on the newspaper doesn't lie.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote