Old 08-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
WHY would you buy a boat like THAT?!

I met our new dock neighbor across from me this weekend that owns a newer 38 sundancer. *He looked at me when I told him we just bought the boat and asked in the most shocked voice, "WHY would you buy a boat like THAT?" *Kind of left me chuckling and speechless...indeed...why DID I buy a boat like this? *Could it be her classic lines, her nice little efficient diesel, her cozy and beautiful teak interior, perhaps her rustic appeal, or maybe the fact that it is a unique little boat designed for longer cruising and has a timeless appeal?
Should I have just responded by saying, "I don't know but what on earth possessed you to buy a sea ray?!"

In the end I just told him we liked older boats and trawlers and left it at that.

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
RE: WHY would you buy a boat like THAT?!

HAHA....that is funny!!! Most people that have Sea Rays don't quite understand trawlers.

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: -

When you think about the price of a new boat, you realize how much boating you can do for even a fraction of that cost with an older boat. Also, the notion that new boats are trouble-free is a myth. New boats have the same systems and components, at least in function, as older boats. So all the stuff that's wearing out on an old boat is also wearing out on a new boat.

I have never written down any data, but I suspect that I see far more "older" boats being used in our 3,000+ boat marina on any given day than I do new boats.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products

One of my best buds has a Sea Ray, big thing, comfortable as you could make it. Flat screen tv's, all the works. He doesn't worry about checking oil, adding water to batts, all the stuff that most of us do. He's got a guy that comes out every couple weeks to take care of this (which sounds pretty good). In fact, it would take a skinny teenager to worm into the engine room to get at the stuff. I love riding with him cause at the end of the day he's ready to be at his dock so he goes fast, to the tune of 40gph for each engine. To each his own, its good to live in the U.S.A.
Mike
Baton Rouge
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'

When I saw that heading, I immediatley thought of this boat I saw this morning during my daily review of Craigslist

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1897977096.html
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #6

I have had a couple of Sea Rays, they were fine for their purpose, as is my present 'trawler type', I see a number of good reasons to own either depending on what your needs dictate.
Avista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

I agree- lots of boats for different purposes... No problem with that. The odd thing was the attitude that his style boat is only one worth owning, or at least coming across that way!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: San Leon, Texas
Vessel Name: Always On My Mind
Vessel Model: DeFever Downeast 40 - 1979

I think a ride in your trawler in 3-6 seas vs a ride? in his SeaRay would probably show him best why you bought it.
Roostor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:14 AM   #9
FF
Guru

New boats have the same systems and components, at least in function, as older boats.

And there are tons of "new" (at least this week) items to install, and sometimes a fun experience to get to talk to each other.

By time all the toys actually work, there outdated .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:53 AM   #10
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:
Could it be her classic lines, her nice little efficient diesel, her cozy and beautiful teak interior, perhaps her rustic appeal, or maybe the fact that it is a unique little boat designed for longer cruising and has a timeless appeal?
I have noticed that wherever I'm docked my tired old MT, and not the slick new 50' SeaRay is the boat that gets looked at by folks hanging around.* You'll see them walk down the docks to get a better angle and take a closer look.* They'll always came up to ask what kind of boat, what size, how old, etc, etc.

Why?* Like Tony said - "timeless appeal".* She looks like a boat is supposed to look.

BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:04 AM   #11
Guru

When I first got to my marina in June I realised I was the only trawler on my dock in the middle of shinny cabin cruisers. I was almost embarassed because the flybridge was full of stuff and tools, the boat was dirty and looked it's age. To my surprise most of my neighors came to greet me and compliment me on the boat. There are very few sedan like mine in my area. And when I told them I brought it from New York to Montreal on its own power for about $400 of fuel, their jaws droped. That's what they spend in a single weekend just to cruise around.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:08 AM   #12
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

This thread reminds me of what happened earlier this summer.* We were invited to a lake cabin of very good friends.* While taking a cruise with neighbors aboard his deck boat, the neighbor said, "Ron told me about your old boat".* The old boat is an '03 year model.* He also asked if the hull is wood.* I said, "no we just missed the wooden hull era".

It doesn't bother me.* My friend has cruised several hundred miles on my boats, but still doesn't understand them.* Who cares.* He still plays great guitar, and we have a great time.

Don Moon
on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 EX HT
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:14 AM   #13
TF Site Team

Don, it could be the styling of your boat that made hime think it was old or wooden. I have even had people think my boat was old and it is a 2004....it is just the classic styling that makes them think it is old.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:27 AM   #14
Guru

Right John.**The teak toe rail and covering boards also*add a touch of older or shall we say "classic" style.* I also have a fully restored*1978 Blackfin with teak trim and covering boards.* Both boats get alot of attention because that is not normal today.

While they look classic, they both cruise faster than most "modern" boats.* You can imagine the looks we get*from an*outboard or other fast cruising boat who won't answer radio or horn signals when he*looks back to see the bow of a 42 footer coming around.* Sometimes it's hard to decide if*the look is surprise or panic.* We will break back if they will.* It is hard to pass if you are not going faster than the overtaken boat.

Don*
Old 08-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #15
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

I love your boat!* the sabre 42 is on my "favorite boats list".
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #16
Guru

Thanks, Seahorse II.* I think the Gourmet Cruiser is a very sharp boat.

We don't have a trawler, but the way we use is like a fast one.* Not being fully retired, we don't have the time for slow cruises.* However, we do like to cover great distances.* We cruise from the Chesapeake to the Florida Keys including trips to the Bahamas.* The boat is set up well for anchoring for a few days at a time.* We can stretch the range to about 400 miles.* We are in SW Florida for the winter.* Then it is on to the Chesapeake in spring.* Weather permitting it will be mostly offshore until NC.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #17
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

The amazing thing about buying a new Searay, Carver, Luhrs product etc is the depreciation. Most trawlers have proven to be a much better investment. But being the second owner of a well cared for Searay, Carver etc can be a very wise $ move. Today, a 2007 or so Searay etc with less than 200 hours can easliy be bought for 40 to 50 cents on the dollar. Even in good times, depreciation on the eye candy boats was quite high. Some years ago I bought a 3 year old Searay for Lake Powell use. It had 57 hours and went for about 60 cents on the dollar. It had been for sale for two seasons.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #18
TF Site Team

WHY would you buy a boat like THAT?!

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:

The amazing thing about buying a new Searay, Carver, Luhrs product etc is the depreciation. Most trawlers have proven to be a much better investment. But being the second owner of a well cared for Searay, Carver etc can be a very wise $ move. Today, a 2007 or so Searay etc with less than 200 hours can easliy be bought for 40 to 50 cents on the dollar. Even in good times, depreciation on the eye candy boats was quite high. Some years ago I bought a 3 year old Searay for Lake Powell use. It had 57 hours and went for about 60 cents on the dollar. It had been for sale for two seasons.

Hey, I take offense to the Luhrs reference....j/k.

Anyway, there is reason for this and it is not because they are better boats or because they are better built. *It is because of their style. *Just like the Sabre above or the Grand Banks(or a Porsche 911 for that matter)....somebody can buy a 20 year old boat that looks just like the brand new model(we know there are changes but the LOOKS is what matters)....that adds value to the 20 year old boat....or Porsche 911. *Simple as that and the reason why Grand Banks hold their value so well.

PS...I do realize that Sabres and GBs(and Porsches for that matter) are built well also....there still has to be substance.

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 18th of August 2010 11:22:02 AM
Old 08-19-2010, 05:37 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

I can relate to the comment above. My Lotus is one of the earliest CHB 34 Sedans ever made I think (1975), yet she does everything the new Evolution Clipper 34 opposite me does. Price of mine $60k when bought + a lot of TLC + ~ $20k (max) spent refurbishing = now (broker's valuation), $120-140k - new model $420k.......if sold 3 yrs on.......? Guess.

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote