Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-16-2018, 07:52 AM   #1
Guru
 
Pgitug's Avatar
 
City: Punta Gorda, fl
Country: Usa
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,033
Why We Went From Sail To Trawler

In 2005 we purchased our brand new 42 Hunter Deck Salon. Lots of storage. Two huge births. Two heads with showers. 6.7 knots using 3/4 gal of diesel per hour. Gen set using 1/2 gal per hour.
We really enjoyed the boat each year leaving Florida in June and spending the summers up the east coast to the Long Island area or up the Hudson. Martha’s Vineyard, Newport and the like.
Then in 2013 we got “Stuck” on the ICW several places due to high water. Our mast would not clear the fixed 65’ bridges. Rising sea levels made keeping our sailboat impractical. And no, we don’t like blue water sailing in the dark.
So now we have an air draft of 13’. Life is good.
THEN:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	72164
NOW:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1423.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	72165
Now the only problem we have is:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2512.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	72166
__________________
Advertisement

Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:31 AM   #2
Guru
 
Donna's Avatar
 
City: Palm Coast
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 730
Great thread! Glad I opened it first!
__________________

Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #3
TF Site Team
 
Pack Mule's Avatar
 
City: Paris,TN
Country: USA
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,547
That just goes to show you , you can have a LOT more fun on a trawler .
Beautiful baby , great thread and the Tug looks pretty good as well .
__________________
Marty
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:31 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Montenido's Avatar
 
City: La Paz, BCS
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ansedonia
Vessel Model: Californian/Carver 52CPMY
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 244
We ended up on a trawler because we went aboard my friend's trawler while we were anchored in our sailboat. After a cocktail or two, my wife looked all around her and said, "oh yes, we are getting one of these". Within the year we sold our sailboat and bought our first motor boat/trawler. We are now on our second big motor boat, so it looks like we are in it to stay. When my sailing friends come on board, they start to see the advantages of going to the dark side.

Cheers, Bill
__________________
"There is simply nothing more worth while than messing around in boats."
Montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,435
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
In 2005 we purchased our brand new 42 Hunter Deck Salon. Lots of storage. Two huge births. Two heads with showers. 6.7 knots using 3/4 gal of diesel per hour. Gen set using 1/2 gal per hour.
We really enjoyed the boat each year leaving Florida in June and spending the summers up the east coast to the Long Island area or up the Hudson. Martha’s Vineyard, Newport and the like.
Then in 2013 we got “Stuck” on the ICW several places due to high water. Our mast would not clear the fixed 65’ bridges. Rising sea levels made keeping our sailboat impractical. And no, we don’t like blue water sailing in the dark.
So now we have an air draft of 13’. Life is good.
THEN:
Attachment 72164
NOW:
Attachment 72165
Now the only problem we have is:
Attachment 72166
Terrific post and very entertaining!
__________________
Codger2

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #6
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Country: US
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
Now the only problem we have is:
Attachment 72166
What a great photo! So glad to know that pondering the shape of one’s stomach isn’t just for grownups.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,058
I've always liked sailing as a one day hobby. At the end of the day I just want more creature comforts. Very different from when I was under 40.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #8
Guru
 
HiDHo's Avatar
 
City: Scottsboro, Al.
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 758
We made the move to trawlers after 25 years of sailing. What really covinced us was due to comitments we where heading north on the south Florida icw into a cold nor'easter having just crossed over from the Bahamas. We where wearing fleece and foul weather gear hunkered behind our dodger watching trawlers heading south sipping hot drinks and waving at use and shouting we are heading the wrong way..That plus our age was telling us our sailing days where ending.
We moved to a Monk36 for 5 years and the last 11 years on the Manatee.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member
 
City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 70
We dont have a trawler ....yet. Last two boats were sail, one 44' ketch and a 36' sloop. Lots of room on the 44. Very reasonable room on the 36. But because my wife cant work the fore deck anymore and I dont trust her at the helm in rough weather, we are looking at a Mainship 34 after a year without a boat. We are both in our 80s so baring some medical breakthrough I think it will be trawlers for the next 110 years. (I plan on seeing my 191st birthday on Mars)
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:38 PM   #10
Guru
 
Donna's Avatar
 
City: Palm Coast
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
We dont have a trawler ....yet. Last two boats were sail, one 44' ketch and a 36' sloop. Lots of room on the 44. Very reasonable room on the 36. But because my wife cant work the fore deck anymore and I dont trust her at the helm in rough weather, we are looking at a Mainship 34 after a year without a boat. We are both in our 80s so baring some medical breakthrough I think it will be trawlers for the next 110 years. (I plan on seeing my 191st birthday on Mars)
I love your spirit! Don’t under estimate the mrs. at the helm in rough water!
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member
 
City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I love your spirit! Don’t under estimate the mrs. at the helm in rough water!
That comment was in reference to her at the helm AND ME ON THE FORE DECK. As long as I am inside, I wouldnt worry....LOL She took more than one 2 hour shift in a gale crossing from Tampa to St Marks Light and hit every buoy on time.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #12
Member
 
City: Palisades NY
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Savage
Vessel Model: C&C 34+
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 14
You swapped sailboat for a fat kid? OK, just kidding. Great looking child and I agree with the move. Am about to do the same thing. Did NYC to Key West a bunch of times. The ditch was not an option. Daft of 7.5'. Offshore is not for everyone. Good choice and good luck. selling the 'draft' and going trawler soon.


Alan
2savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:01 PM   #13
Guru
 
Mule's Avatar
 
City: Fort Pierce
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,831
Well, I am a trawler guy. Still, if doomsday arrives I will pass on the 2.5 Million Daskew here in the yard and commandeer one of the seaworthy sail boats. Waterworld would makes the procrument of Diesel sketchie. There are a couple of Aluminum European 43 to 47 foot rigs whose owners are in Scandinavia, doubt they will mind or even Notice the absence under Waterworld circumstances.

Short of that, I will stay with what I have and stay a Trawler Guy.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member
 
City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
There are a couple of Aluminum European 43 to 47 foot rigs whose owners are in Scandinavia, doubt they will mind or even Notice the absence under Waterworld circumstances.

Short of that, I will stay with what I have and stay a Trawler Guy.
Well, if the SHTF comes about, my AK-47 will get me a boat, water, food, anything I want.....LOL
__________________

jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012