why we have a trawler and NOT a sailboat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We went from Isla Mujeres Mexico to Kemah Texas. My friends were coming back from cruising the western Caribbean all the way down to Panama. The boat was a 46' Seamaster Perry design built by Lien Hwa. Very capable boat with a large engine for a sailboat that size and fuel tankage enough to cross even if we had no wind. One of the coolest things about that boat is the aft cockpit in addition to the center cockpit is great for fishing. The boat is now for sale if you look on Little Yacht's site as my friends are now seeing the country via RV.

Kevin

Hey cool! I saw that boat on YW the other day. I'll check it out. That aft cockpit is definitely interesting.

So I see on the web this boat is referred to a as motorsailer. Everyone seems to criticize the sailing characteristics of a motorsailer. What was your experience?

Last edited:
....So I see on the web this boat is referred to a as motorsailer. Everyone seems to criticize the sailing characteristics of a motorsailer. What was your experience?

Motor sailors are just what they are. Light air they are slow but bring on the weather and they can shine. Lena and I were 1/2 of a delivery crew from Hobart to Auckland on a 50' custom motor sailor. In an area where less time at sea is good, we could sail or motor comfortably at 7.5+ knots and motor sail at just below hull speed. We had the owners stateroom. It was as big if not bigger than any master on 50' trawler I've been on. In an area where there aren't any bridges to clear and big distances between cursing areas, it was the best of both worlds.

Larry,

Wow. You and Lena sure have some interesting experiences! I am so looking forward to doing some interesting cruising. I'm sure we won't do anything as adventurous as y'all did, but I want to do SOMETHING interesting.

One issue with many of these motorsailers I have seen is the draft is is usually close to 6'. If my highest probability cruise destination is the Bahamas (and maybe the Caribbean) that would be a pain, as you have reminded me before.

Since I'm dreaming, and since my wife doesn't like excessive heeling, I saw this on YW the other day. It's a Leopard 47 with upgraded 100hp Yanmars and shaft drives with real props. Could this be considered a "low draft", Bahamas friendly motorsailer? Engine access is also pretty good one these. It looks very updated, but also very expensive unfortunately. Would you cross an ocean in a cat like this?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2003/Leopard-47-3037264/Fort-Pierce/FL/United-States#.WG0cOIZOKEc

Motorsailers to me are like cars that can fly. Can do both, but can't do either particularly well. Boom has to be high, so center of wind force on sail is pretty high. Means more keel which means more draft. Pilot house means hindered access to sail controls. Still, like any boat it is a whole bucket of compromises. I could see myself in a motorsailer at some point.

Cats are interesting. Speed under sail is really impressive. Lack of heel is nice. Interior space is hard to lay out. Lots of interior volume, but some strange shapes makes it hard to utilize. Also get the same issue as the motorsailer, high boom to get headroom while standing on the deck between the hulls. And they LOVE to absolutely bury the engines.

And there are safety issues with cats. If you get caught in a storm, if it gets flipped it stays flipped. A monohull should survive a knockdown and go back upright. Always freaked me out looking at those escape hatches on the bottom!!

Cats also hard to find dockage. You end up needing an expensive double wide slip.

But man is that speed nice!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom