Why we boat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I take satisfaction in doing what work I do, especially to the degree it familiarizes me with the boat's systems, and when I can remedy something that happens "out there".

I couldn't have have said it better myself, and didn't.

I find your boat one of the more interesting boats on the forum Jeff.

I found this photo in an old book called "Dawdling on the Delta". A local marina had a rental fleet of them.

Wow, looks like an old breeding ground for Land N Sea boats.

I understand one of the big selling points was that the boat is unsinkable. There's foam in the roof, walls and upper hull. I saw a picture of one that had been cut in half lengthwise to expose the foam filled areas. It's still on a lot in Morgan Hill (south of San Hose) I'm told...along with the hull molds.

We do two kinds of boating, "big boat" (something you can eat and sleep on and take long distances) and "small boat" (whatever the dinghy is).

We big boat to go to places you can only go to by boat, and anchor out. Such as the last few days. Sometimes we see the big boat merely as the delivery vehicle for the small boat, kind of like the 747 used to transport the space shuttle. Anyway, if we couldn't do all that, we wouldn't own a big boat or rent one either.

A few times, we've been anchored out in some great spot, near some near-derelict Sea Ray or sailboat, where the captain of same has made some comment like "man, I hardly feel worthy compared to your boat". I always say, "I'd rather be on your boat right now than 99% of all the boats ... you got the same view we do... you're boating, they're tied to the dock!"

I only work on the boat so we can go boating. Working on your boat for the pleasure of restoring or just the satisfaction of the work is a perfectly legitimate hobby, like some folks restore cars they don't drive, or old tractors or furniture or you name it. Just not my bag. I take satisfaction in doing what work I do, especially to the degree it familiarizes me with the boat's systems, and when I can remedy something that happens "out there". What's that old definition of cruising? "Working on your boat in exotic places.." Fortunately preparation and attention to seaworthiness can keep that to a minimum. But it's getting to and enjoying those out of the way places that is the great pleasure.

I totally agree!!!!

Also, while cruising may be working on your boat in exotic places....Yachting is having SOMEONE ELSE work on your boat in exotic places!!!:socool::socool::lol::lol:

I think I boat because I feel more alive out there then anywhere else. It's all there, adventure, discovery, freedom, danger, peace, beauty. It is playing in my tree house 45 years ago.

I'm at peace on the boat hurricanes or sunsets.

ForumRunner_20130123_001120.jpg

ForumRunner_20130123_001206.jpg

ForumRunner_20130123_001348.jpg

Well, Daddyo, one thing about weathering out a hurricane at anchor, is that anything less now would be a bit ho hum...although I'm sure you still never take stuff for granted, and always keep your situational awareness fine tuned.

Daddyo: Whew....gotta take some time with those photos, each one with a mood of their own. (Big breath).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom