Old 05-31-2014, 02:36 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

The other group is the best boat on the market. People look at base. They look at the prices of the one with the fewest improvements, least electronics, and in the poorest condition. They often underestimate how much it will take to bring it to par. But you take the boat that's in the best condition, got updated equipment, is basically turnkey but priced considerably more than that base boat, it's difficult to get people to look. In fact, they may even miss it on search if they set a dollar limit. Perhaps that dollar limit was to leave enough for some significant work on it and they miss the one that wouldn't require it. But people look at 20 Grand Banks online in a specific size range and age range. They quickly eliminate the couple they see priced 20% over the others and never give it a chance.

So true.

The problem is that the higher priced, better equipped, better maintained boat is often a bargain compared to the lower priced boat.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:46 AM   #22
FF
Guru

But you take the boat that's in the best condition, got updated equipment, is basically turnkey but priced considerably more than that base boat, it's difficult to get people to look. In fact, they may even miss it on search if they set a dollar limit.

Most of the overpricing I have seen was due to the owner thinking his electrical toys were worth what he paid for them.

Paint sells the boat , which translated to folks are buying a dream , and they EXPECT the boat to be maintained .

Weather it is or not is only a turnoff to those that want to USE the boat.

For others the boat (not its use) is a hobby , so they delight in convincing themselves there purchasing a great bargain , that just needs a bit of work.

Both are boaters , but they basically have different hobbies, and look at the same boat very differently

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #23
Guru

This Chris has been on the market for over six years with no takers. This year, the owner went to that great marina in the sky and his widow is now stuck with the bills.
It's powered by two 454 Chevys which don't help matters, even though it is priced below comps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chris Craft 001 (1280x960).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	30259  
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #24
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
This Chris has been on the market for over six years with no takers. This year, the owner went to that great marina in the sky and his widow is now stuck with the bills.
It's powered by two 454 Chevys which don't help matters, even though it is priced below comps.
You couldn't give me that boat.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
A boat stays on the market that long, the cause is Owner Stubbornness. Sorry, but either the price is too high or it's not somewhere it's being marketed or anyone is aware of it. Either way, you change things. Lower price, different broker, whatever it takes. It may not appeal to people like the owner, perhaps older people. Might appeal to entry level, weekend warriors, Muppies. But not willing to pay the price.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #26
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Over the six years what price(s) have they been asking for that CC??

My take on that "old" Chris' value (considering engines/trans and rest of drive train in OK cond as well as interior not too bad off):

$22K - Top asking Dollar, few offers - if any
$15K - Maybe some person/family might become interested enough to make an offer
$12K - Probably would sell due to an offer
$9.5K - Many lookers and will likely sell
$7.5K - Gone!

If engines/trans and rest of drive train not OK:

$6K - would be a push
$3K - maybe a sale
$1K - Gone!

My $0.02 cents!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Over the six years what price(s) have they been asking for that CC??

My take on that "old" Chris' value (considering engines/trans and rest of drive train in OK cond as well as interior not too bad off):

$22K - Top asking Dollar, few offers - if any
$15K - Maybe some person/family might become interested enough to make an offer
$12K - Probably would sell due to an offer
$9.5K - Many lookers and will likely sell
$7.5K - Gone!

If engines/trans and rest of drive train not OK:

$6K - would be a push
$3K - maybe a sale
$1K - Gone!

My $0.02 cents!
Pretty accurate for may area too
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #28
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Here's another one that has been around for over 4 years that I know of, and the Marina claims more. It looks good here, but it needs a lot more than TLC, and it just lingers.

I liked this boat so much that I went in search for a good one, but there were only 8 built from what I hear, two twin Perkins and two single perkins...the hull by Morgan, I think. Heritage also had a West Indian.....probably the same boat. The Criss Craft West Indian has everything I'd want. 3 GPH at 7 knots is advertised. I love the layout....even has two heads. With decent canvas, I think she's a looker. 64 grand or a good offer could make it yours. I've seen it, and they'd do well to put 10 grand in the boat before even offering it in that price arena. Still, I'd love to have one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Criss Craft Indian Trawler.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	30261  

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #29
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Here's another one that has been around for over 4 years that I know of, and the Marina claims more. It looks good here, but it needs a lot more than TLC, and it just lingers.

I liked this boat so much that I went in search for a good one, but there were only 8 built from what I hear, two twin Perkins and two single perkins...the hull by Morgan, I think. The Criss Craft West Indian has everything I'd want. 3 GPH at 7 knots is advertised. I love the layout....even has two heads. With decent canvas, I think she's a looker. 64 grand or a good offer could make it yours. I've seen it, and they'd do well to put 10 grand in the boat before even offering it in that price arena.
Nice looking boat. As you incline... at $64K it needs to be top cond!
Old 06-02-2014, 04:14 AM   #30
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Sometimes it's any or all of the conditions already stated here, but often I have found it is the broker does not answer the phone or emails promptly. The buyer moves on to boat E and the opportunity is lost. I have on many occasions sold boats in weeks that had been listed for years. Yes a better more compelling ad helps but that isn't the whole story.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #31
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Ads create interest, but they don't sell boats.

A couple of weeks ago I was interested in an RV. There was an ad that interested me, and I drove 50 miles to the dealer to check it out. When I went into the show room I told them the unit that interested me. They said it was out back (with about 100 others). I found it, and had some questions. No one came around, so I went back into the show room where I was ignored. I'm sure they didn't miss me when I drove the 50 miles back home.

They probably figured that I couldn't afford it.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #32
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
I drove from Savannah to Titusville, FL to see a Labelle trawler last year, shiny navy blue hull, looked beautiful in the photos. When I got there - well, in my opinion it was ready to be chopped up with a chain saw and hauled to a landfill. I have never understood the point of putting photos in an ad from 10 years ago, long before the boat slid into derelict status. What a huge waste of time all around. Some brokers seem to do a lot of things that just don't make sense.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:06 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Ads create interest, but they don't sell boats.

A couple of weeks ago I was interested in an RV. There was an ad that interested me, and I drove 50 miles to the dealer to check it out. When I went into the show room I told them the unit that interested me. They said it was out back (with about 100 others). I found it, and had some questions. No one came around, so I went back into the show room where I was ignored. I'm sure they didn't miss me when I drove the 50 miles back home.

Know the feeling about car, trucks AND boats....

My favorite is my next door neighbor in Mobile, Al went to the truck dealership to buy a specific model truck. When he got there the sales guy badgered him TOOOO much about another truck and insisted he test drive it.

So he did..to the dealer across town and bought the kind of truck he wanted and drove the new truck back to the original dealer and went to the sales guy to return the keys.

When the salesman asked where's the truck he hadn't seen it pull in...my neighbor said at Bob's Chevy Dealership across town. When the sales guy stammered...my friend said...sometimes better to listen more and talk less. Mixing up your determined customers with the ones with no real particular model or brand in mind can be a big mistake...
Old 06-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #34
Veteran Member

City: NC-Fl
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43 MY
To me condition is everything. I dont know how many boats we toured that had a funky smell. If you combined poop, mold, and diesel, that would be the smell. The outside needs washing/waxing as well as canvas cleaned. If a person cant keep up the outside of the boat, he really cant keep up the engines. That tells me the story. Most boats on the market we saw were boats that the owners were tired of maintaining and couldnt afford them any longer or just lost interest and let the boat go. If a person still loves their boat and gives it the TLC it deserves, but they want something bigger, thats the higher priced ones on the market. The owner is still proud to own it and wont take a beating selling it. The other disinterested owner will take a severe beating and only get half of its real value. Trouble is people searching for a good deal on a boat think they can get the nice boat at the same price as the fire sale.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:41 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnawake View Post
To me condition is everything. I dont know how many boats we toured that had a funky smell. If you combined poop, mold, and diesel, that would be the smell. The outside needs washing/waxing as well as canvas cleaned. If a person cant keep up the outside of the boat, he really cant keep up the engines. That tells me the story. Most boats on the market we saw were boats that the owners were tired of maintaining and couldnt afford them any longer or just lost interest and let the boat go. If a person still loves their boat and gives it the TLC it deserves, but they want something bigger, thats the higher priced ones on the market. The owner is still proud to own it and wont take a beating selling it. The other disinterested owner will take a severe beating and only get half of its real value. Trouble is people searching for a good deal on a boat think they can get the nice boat at the same price as the fire sale.
I often see the complete opposite....a dock queen with detailers or owners cleaning every week and the systems rotting away below and the owners clueless about maintenance. The engine room is sparkling but outdated, never serviced,...etc...etc..

My boat had a rebuilt engine and was actively used...the rest of the boat was OK to move aboard but needed total refit down the road. It was the right price and exactly what I wanted for layout...I passed by many a Grand Banks, Defevers, etc in good condition (though higher in price a bit)...because I didn't like the layouts....other thought they were better deals but I am a full time liveaboard and sought out what I wanted for layouts without major structural remodeling.

The ideal boat to buy is well maintained, new systems, great layout, and very inexpensive...yep see them all the time on the market for a long time....
Old 06-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #36
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Ouch on the car dealership experience. When I first got into the business in Houston at a big Oldsmobile dealership (back when Oldsmobile was a big deal) we really beat people up and turned them over and over to different salespeople and managers until they bought or left mad. It was stressful for everyone involved-- if we had to turn them to another salesperson we lost half the deal, but if we didn't turn them over and let the customer leave we would get fired.

It was a good learning experience, but not the way I wanted to run my store I learned. It's a real balancing act to get the right amount of aggressiveness so everyone gets waited on quickly, but not too aggressive where you make a lot of folks mad. My dealership was in a small town so we had to temper our aggressiveness a little more I thought.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #37
Art
Guru

Regarding used boat sales...

Never underestimate the power that divorce or estate settlement has in lowering a well kept boat's price. For reasons, some people are simply ready to sell at nearly any offer by a purchaser simply to get rid of the boat and move on.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #38
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post

Next time, wear your "Moonstruck" T-shirt, Don. That ought to get their attention. What I can't figure is how they missed the bulging pockets of cash.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #39
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Our boat had been on the market for 4 years when we saw her. The owner had a great emotional attachment to the boat, and was determined to get the price he wanted

He dropped the price a couple of times during that 4 year period.

Our broker sat down with him and gave him the stark reality of the market- in 2012, he simply would not get the price he would have received in 2006/2007.

We got the boat.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #40
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Next time, wear your "Moonstruck" T-shirt, Don. That ought to get their attention. What I can't figure is how they missed the bulging pockets of cash.
Larry, I don't think they could get past the holes in my shoes to see anything else.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote