Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #161
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
So what? How many people in 1930 knew how to fix their alarm clock or wristwatch? How many people in 1880 knew how to repair a steam engine or make candles?

What difference does this make to anyone?
I found it enlightening in many south east Asian countries that everything seemed repairable and rampant consumerism and wastage hasn't taken hold yet.

It sure taught me some things, for example I have brought back from the dead twice in the last 5 years a LCD monitor that had a 50c part dead inside.
Bit of googling and half hour to fix and a screen not in landfill and a new one not having to be bought.

Its great not having to find money to pay people to do relatively simple tasks.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:38 PM   #162
Guru

Quote:
Or she spends her time studying her chosen field, becomes a master and makes enough money to hire anyone she wants to do anything she wants.

I’m pretty sure that the owners of the 100’ to 400’ yachts at Rybovich and all the jets at the airport don’t know how to fix them either and why should they? Given a choice of being a hired captain or being that captains employer, I think I’d rather be the boss. If I’m earning upwards of $50k a month, is it sensible to spend time fixing things myself to save a technicians wage when I make 50 times that per hour? Maybe it’s better to just stay in the office for another couple of hours and hire a dozen people to do the dirty work while I play. Now, if fixing the lawnmower is relaxation therapy, that a different story.........
Im so glad the the 1% will be ok
Old 12-19-2018, 04:25 PM   #163
Guru

Took a millennial family out for a ride on our boat in January. The father got all enthused about buying a boat and what he would do with it. Knowin' he would be a "check-writer" I tried to impress upon him the maintenance costs. He said he would write it all off against his business. He went ahead and bought a boat and started writin' checks. The boat has not moved since he bought it. Bein' a sore subject, I'm not gonna ask why...but his wife just shakes her head when I see her.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:39 PM   #164
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Im so glad the the 1% will be ok
Much of the 1% are new money, a generation old, earned by the creator of a business. The point being that few of our newly minted millionaires bothered to learn how to fix a refrigerator or build their own house. If anything they spent their time fixing software and algorithms not cars and motorbikes. And they seem to be none the worse off for it.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #165
Guru

Quote:
Much of the 1% are new money, a generation old, earned by the creator of a business. The point being that few of our newly minted millionaires bothered to learn how to fix a refrigerator or build their own house. If anything they spent their time fixing software and algorithms not cars and motorbikes. And they seem to be none the worse off for it.
Until their bitcoin turns to shite , oh wait
Or their business goes belly up and they lose the lot
Or any one of a million different things and they find them selves not as well off and not able to boil an egg let alone change a lightbulb or tapwasher.

Roosters turned into featherdusters, seen it happen plenty of times and no reason to think this crop of roosters are any better at surviving than the previous lot.
At least the previous lot most likely had some basic life skills, some a lot more than others.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:14 AM   #166
FF
Guru

Cost might be a concern. Yachting mag has a write up on a R tug entry level cruising boat

27? ft long and narrow enough for a trailer , big outboard on back.

The new owner is not expected to have experience to outfit the boat so "everything" is included.

Purchase price $200,000 plus tax and delivery.

That's big bucks to someone with a kollege loan paying off his degree in Etruscan Pottery
Old 12-20-2018, 07:48 AM   #167
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Cost might be a concern. Yachting mag has a write up on a R tug entry level cruising boat

The new owner is not expected to have experience to outfit the boat so "everything" is included.

That's big bucks to someone with a kollege loan paying off his degree in Etruscan Pottery
Yeah, “kollege” is such as waste. Just creates generations of coddled parasites with frivolous interests who can’t operate a can opener and contribute nothing to society.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #168
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Until their bitcoin turns to shite , oh wait
Or their business goes belly up and they lose the lot
Or any one of a million different things and they find them selves not as well off and not able to boil an egg let alone change a lightbulb or tapwasher.

Roosters turned into featherdusters, seen it happen plenty of times and no reason to think this crop of roosters are any better at surviving than the previous lot.
At least the previous lot most likely had some basic life skills, some a lot more than others.
Or they sell their crypto at the top of the market, take their business public through an IPO banking hundreds of millions and keep earning more money in any one of a million ways and they find themselves hiring cooks, gardeners and staff.

See, I can play pretend too. My scenario is just as likely as yours.........
Old 12-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #169
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

I am curious what you encouraged your kids or families kids (millennials) to pursue in life?
Was it a college degree?
Which college degree(s) did you encourage?
Old 12-20-2018, 01:00 PM   #170
Guru

Quote:
Or they sell their crypto at the top of the market, take their business public through an IPO banking hundreds of millions and keep earning more money in any one of a million ways and they find themselves hiring cooks, gardeners and staff.

See, I can play pretend too. My scenario is just as likely as yours.........
Statistically my pretend scenarios hold more weight.
There is a reason its a 1%, most fail.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:40 PM   #171
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
A couple of members sure seem to have a lot of resentment against well educated, successful, and even wealthy people. It's sad that something has happened in your life to fill you with such prejudice against a group rather than the ability to look at them each individually, just as it's sad to see others stereotype millennials. There are both good and bad among any group of people one might choose.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #172
Guru

There does seem to be a surprising amount of envy, jealousy and outright resentment of others success here which I did not expect. It’s as if some people think another’s gain is someone else’s loss which is not how the world works. It is NOT a zero sum game.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:04 AM   #173
Veteran Member

City: Cape Canaveral FL
I happened too be in our local marine repair / dealer shop here in FL
Don't recall how we got on the topic but it was similar too this thread .
Speaking with the owner of shop he stated few young people are buying boats , most customers are older retired men or mobile repair guys buying parts .
He did state , The younger customers fathers own boats.

At fishing club , many couples , mostly older , retired .

When I have an issue boat or marina related ,
I say too myself why do I put myself thru this bull_ _ _ _ ?
Held hostage by costly marinas, constant rate increases ,
Costly marina fuel
Every employee has their hand out for tips ,
Repair people that are awful . Expensive, rip offs ,
Rules , regulations on the water ,
Sheriff Patrol constantly checking boats

When I am on land few days , I need too get back too marina, boat, ocean
My kids & grandkids marina all the time , they love it
I don't have too take boat out , they love dropping a line at dock, game room, pool, talking too other boaters
When the world caves in my 48 year old son he calls me , DAD lets get away on boat few days

If we don't teach and expose our kids they wont know any better

Marinas will become like golf clubs , CONDOS

I HAVE A SICKNESS , ADDICTED TOO THE OCEAN
Closed Thread