Old 10-30-2017, 04:57 PM   #21
Guru

City: West Coast
This past weekend, my boat was out of its slip and moored elsewhere. I noticed a list (port side was about 2" higher than starboard side). The dinghy was down, but it rides on the center line. The main fuel tanks had equal amounts of fuel, and the other tanks are all on the center line. A 200 pound person moving from one side of the boat to the other is barely perceptible, so it would have to be a lot of weight. And yet, I hadn't moved anything and could not find any explanation. The next day, the list was still there, but diminished to only about 1" difference. Putting the dinghy back on board did not change the list. Now, back in the slip, the list is completely gone. All I can figure is that the list was the result of wind / current putting asymmetrical force on my keel or stabilizer fins (and it is entirely possible that the fins were not centered).

MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:14 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
I am new to big boating but assume if the water gets too low, the boat could list because it would be aground a little. Tonight, the winds were really bad and the tide seems to be lower than the last low tide and the boat seems to be listing much more.
Being on the bottom can definitely cause a list!

Old 10-30-2017, 06:27 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: North Carolina
Vessel Name: Into the Mystic
Vessel Model: Silverton 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Being on the bottom can definitely cause a list!

Wow!
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:27 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
This past weekend, my boat was out of its slip and moored elsewhere. I noticed a list (port side was about 2" higher than starboard side). The dinghy was down, but it rides on the center line. The main fuel tanks had equal amounts of fuel, and the other tanks are all on the center line. A 200 pound person moving from one side of the boat to the other is barely perceptible, so it would have to be a lot of weight. And yet, I hadn't moved anything and could not find any explanation. The next day, the list was still there, but diminished to only about 1" difference. Putting the dinghy back on board did not change the list. Now, back in the slip, the list is completely gone. All I can figure is that the list was the result of wind / current putting asymmetrical force on my keel or stabilizer fins (and it is entirely possible that the fins were not centered).

This makes me feel better. We plan to move it Wednesday so hopefully that will solve our problem.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #25

Check fuel tank equalizer line. If clogged one tank may be fuller.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:18 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions. I read them all and learned a lot. We are now in Southport and the list is gone. I suppose it had something to do with the slip we were in.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:40 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Central Florida
Vessel Name: Cocoa Beach
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Tradewinds 43'
Saddle Tank Sizes?

We have a similar issue from time to time. Two saddle tanks feed to a center tank from which all engines are fed. The two saddle tanks however, according to the design prints, are not of equal size. There is a 40 gallon difference between the two. So, with both valves open, feeding the center tank, fuel can very slowly seek a level to an opposite side. We see this occasionally when underway for an extended period when taking wind or swell to beam. We have a good amount of FreeBoard on our Marine Trader Tradewinds 43'. I can equalize manually by closing the valve on the opposite side of the "list," as it will lighten the load and correct. Food for Thought.

Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote