Why join a yacht club?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been a yacht club member (Seattle Yacht Club) for 5 years. I didn’t join for the social activities, but rather for the great Outstations! It’s been really nice to know that I can just cruise up and a space will be found. My monthly dues include all outstation use. I also enjoy the reciprocal privileges (Nanaimo Yacht Club, thanks so much!). I do a lot of anchoring out, but it’s nice to dock at an outstation and use nice clean showers, barbecues, laundry facilities and other amenities.

Sponsors are required, but will be found for you if you don’t know anyone in the club. Sponsors introduce new members to club benefits, etc.

I particularly like the fact that youngsters can be members even without a member parent!

Forgive my ignorance, but what are outstations?
I have been a yacht club member (Seattle Yacht Club) for 5 years. I didn’t join for the social activities, but rather for the great Outstations! It’s been really nice to know that I can just cruise up and a space will be found. My monthly dues include all outstation use. I also enjoy the reciprocal privileges (Nanaimo Yacht Club, thanks so much!). I do a lot of anchoring out, but it’s nice to dock at an outstation and use nice clean showers, barbecues, laundry facilities and other amenities.

Sponsors are required, but will be found for you if you don’t know anyone in the club. Sponsors introduce new members to club benefits, etc.

I particularly like the fact that youngsters can be members even without a member parent!

“Outstations” are private yacht club facilities which are remote from the club’s main facility. Typically, Outstations have docks, sometimes buoys in addition to docks, laundry and showers, and other shore-side amenities. Some include large meeting areas with kitchens, some only have a small club room with books and games....

Some of SYC’s out stations are marina’s that SYC purchased and took private. SYC owns one island and part of 3 more islands with attached docks. Many of these outstations are located in remote high demand locations.

How much does it cost to join SYC and then what are the annual fees?

It is age related. It’s not a causal initiation fee. It is an excellent value. Once you join, you are handed the keys to $50,000,000 in assets that you share with 2500 others. Dues run about $200 a month. For my boat, I average $100 a night in guest moorage. What I save in guest moorage is equal to what I pay in dues.

Not all yacht clubs are the same...check them out...In North Vancouver, BC Canada we are very proud of our club who warmly welcome new members,if in our boating area please check us out:

Membership in the Burrard Yacht Club offers many benefits:

• Affordable Moorage: Very reasonable covered and open moorage rates.
  • Outstations and Reciprocals: Six outstations and over 80 reciprocal clubs provide many boating destinations.
  • Security: The moorage facilities are video monitored and regularly patrolled. Fire protection is installed throughout the floats.
  • Secure Free Parking: The large parking lot is video monitored, fenced and gated.
  • Tidal Grid: A tidal grid provides members with inexpensive access for annual out of water maintenance. Club staff provide zinc and bottom painting services upon request.
  • Workshop: A floating workshop provides all the power tools required for members' projects.
  • Laundry and Showers: Laundry and showers are available for members and visitors.
  • Discounts: Club members are eligible for discounts on marine supplies, vessel insurance and fuel.
  • Junior Programs: BYC encourages Junior participation with programs for social, sailing and racing activities.
  • Social Events: Monthly activities include organized weekends at outstations and Clubhouse events.
  • Location, Location, Location: The Club is located in Vancouver Harbour and is convenient for trips up protected Indian Arm as well as the Strait of Georgia cruising grounds.
For more information, please contact our membership chair at membership@burrardyachtclub.com.

Yacht Club Membership

All,
Reading through the many responses has been very interesting and informative.

We have been a member of the Royal Hamilton Yacht Club, first joining in 1972, left in 1982, joined Kingston Yacht Club, then rejoined RHYC in 1991. During our time at RHYC, I have served on a number of committees, including a a number of terms on the Board of Directors. Declaring this, noting some bias.

I have also been a very active sailor and currently in my 26th year as a certified international sailing judge. This has allowed me to visit a very large number of clubs over the years, both as a boater and as an invited guest.

This is what I have learned. The “exclusive” factor runs the entire spectrum: very large initiation fees and annual dues; to no initiation fees and self help clubs; and all points in between. One thing common - yacht clubs are a “fraternity” - marinas are a facility.

To steal a phrase from a well know company “Membership has its privileges!”

On our lake, for our boat, cruise 20 nights a year pays for your membership as your dockage is free at reciprocal clubs v/s $50:per night at a marina. Store your boat & mast at the club during the winter, saves another $1000.

Our very “new to us” trawler (Island Gypsy 32) winter storage savings will more than cover my annual dues when compared to the local marina.

That’s the financial side. The personal side is the friends we have made over the years. The help needed looking after the different boats we have owned over the 50 years cannot be discounted.

So - why join a club? I cannot see a downside. Your decision.

And whatever you decide - don’t forget to enjoy your time on your boat.

I don't know where you are cruising, but if Puget Sound is your area, I'd be happy to sponsor you at Totem Yacht Club in Tacoma. They are a relatively small, inexpensive club, not the least bit snooty! I searched out clubs on the internet looking for a club that had lots of cruises. They invited me to attend one of their meetings or cruises, which I did. (I would recommend attending a cruise as a guest, or one of the social activities before joining.) They were so welcoming and helpful to an "older" female captain and afterward I applied and joined. I thought I'd use the reciprocal moorages a lot more than I have, but since I am limited by how long I can stay out by family responsibilities, I am limited to one or two nights. I encourage you to check with clubs in your area. I don't think you'll regret it.

Last edited:
Guru: There are lots of advantages to a Yacht Club. We just joined Venice Yacht Club and couldn't be happier. We spent last night on our boat here because it is like being on vacation. So what are the advantages: I only pay for the electric I actually use, about $10 a month vs $30 the marina wanted to charge, we have a fuel dock with discount fuel and free pump out, quality restaurant and tiki bar which you can access with out a wait in season. Free overnight docking and use of facilities of over 30 yacht clubs in Florida. Friendly people who share their knowledge on reputable marine trades people. The list goes on, I think you get my point. Go to their website and then go to the property and check it out.

I am confused by the term outstation....can someone let me know what it is?
Thanks

Yacht clubs usually have a club house were visiting boats can tie up. This is called reciprocal privileges. Some yacht clubs have a second or more, clubhouse/s with docks that only club members can tie up to. This is Called an outstation.

In the case of SYC our first outstation is on an island only 10 miles from our club house. Our final outstation is on an island almost halfway between Seattle and Alaska.

Yacht clubs usually have a club house were visiting boats can tie up. This is called reciprocal privileges. Some yacht clubs have a second or more, clubhouse/s with docks that only club members can tie up to. This is Called an outstation.

In the case of SYC our first outstation is on an island only 10 miles from our club house. Our final outstation is on an island almost halfway between Seattle and Alaska.

Yup. SYC has the best collection of outstations that I've seen in the PNW and BC.

An outstation is dockspace owned or possibly leased by a yacht club at a location other than the main yacht club marina for use by its members

We have been members of the Edmonds Yacht Club since 1988. When I was searching for a club I had a few specific criteria. Number one was they had to welcome kids. Ours were 11, 7 and twin two year olds. The club had to have equal membership for captain and first mate and it had to be a cruising club. Edmonds Yacht Club fit that bill, and, at the time was one of the few that did. Sponsorship was never an issue, in fact we were invited to join several other clubs over the years. Growing up, my kids, and all of the youngsters in the club always had lots of “grand parents” keeping an eye on them and including them in activities. Many clubs set new members up with some mentors so that they are comfortable joining in all of those little things that make that club work. We happen to have a regular group that do a bunch of the cooking at events and can be a bit intimidating to get involved with. I tell anybody asking how to join them to go grab some plates or whatever and just join in.
I was recruited to become Rear Commodore in 1990 and we were careful to include the whole family in all of the inter club activities as possible. Our kids were always made to feel genuinely welcome at all of the events, if there was a schedule conflict, I was chastised by my counterparts for poor planning.
I tell people who are thinking about joining a yacht club or boating club that it’s a bit like looking for a church to join. Look for one that feels good to you. Why join? Despite the image of folks standing around in blue blazers with a cocktail, many are there for the network. The local navigation knowledge, maintenance knowledge, where and what others have purchased that is cool without it being a status symbol. Some clubs have their own docks and a very low moorage rate, some are strictly destination cruising and buddy boating. There are also the political issues that come to light that affect the boating community. Things like excise taxes on boats but not personal aircraft; having input on potential laws as they are developing instead of after the law is passed; environmental laws that are aimed directly at boaters that have no real benefit to anyone. As we say, the Legislature is in session, grab your wallet.
Then there are the reciprocal privileges. Docking for a day or two for the cost of plugging in to power is one thing. Having dinner at Lahaina Yacht Club (or most any club with a restaurant or bar) for half of the cost of the restaurants next door to it is a habit I’m happy to continue.

First, on the presumption that yacht/boat club memberships are declining, I would first look to most clubs and yes even the Boy Scout membership is dwindling. The cause could be a social phenonium called the electronic age.

In the past people went out to do things, meet new people, make friends. Today, the phone is the ever present 'friend' to a lot of people. Which means you don't have to go out.

Second, snotty would imply that people wore ascots, jackets and even socks, but you won't find that very often today.

Third, according to Boat US, most boats on the water are 26' or smaller. Usually those owners, trailer there boats, from home to the water and back home again so they don't need a slip or mooring ball. Those would be 2 items that a boater might need to find membership in a club with like minded individuals.

That is the reason most join yacht/boat clubs. Sharing with like minded people who need slips or mooring balls. Someone who owns a 40' boat doesn't have a lot to share with someone who owns a 26' trailerable boat.

It was mentioned in a few of the posts I read, that they had acquired a mooring or a slip at a fee that was less than a local marina, and that can be the case in a lot of clubs. Less expensive drink and food prices can also be a reason, but not always.

Reciprocity is another reason. I attended a club last night after attending the Annapolis Sailboat show, we have a trawler, which wouldn't preclude membership, but we live in the Philly area and the boat was just left in Kentucky (we are on the Great Loop) and we like the Sailboat show as there are more vendors and not just sailing equipment.

The drinks at the club were what would be called 'market value', no reduced pricing, as were the meals. This club not long ago had made additions and acquired local land which was 'market priced' additions. They need to be paid for, by the membership. What those type of expenses do is help to maintain the club which attracts the members.

Often those who couldn't join a club or fraternity start by downplaying that association. There are yacht/boat clubs that are so exclusive, just like, BTW, golf clubs, that membership would cost way more than was acceptable to most of us and usually those membership cost would be considered a 'business expense'.

IF you would like to join a yacht/boat club, do as was suggested, call 1 and talk to the person who answers, relaying that you might like to join. They know you don't have to join and yes most are looking for members, so it will be like 'going on a date'. You'll look at them, they will look at you and if you both like what you see they will offer you a membership. IF you don't like what you see try another club.

You will probably find, if you invest the time, that there are others, where you would join who are a lot like you and that will make participating, yes, you will be asked to participate, more fun.

I'd suggest if you are married that you make sure your mate/partner would like to be involved as well. That is, of course, unless you want a place to escape to, to get away from, that individual.

BTW, a yacht/boat club is a nice place to entertain. I've even had Coast Guard Auxiliary functions at my club.

So, throw off the attitude, it won't go well if you try to join, and have a good time.

We spent last night tied to a floating dock at the Norfolk Yacht and Country Club and ate in their restaurant. Fantastic food, great menu, soup and salad bar for $5 and excellent service. Prices were very low, like $5 to $8 less per item than in comparable places. We loved it until the bill arrived: there was an added 18% gratuity that did not go to the service staff directly, instead it supposedly was put into higher base wages. But individual tipping was encouraged.....
We tipped our usual amount and just considered the extra 18% to be part of the food cost. Would we go back? Sure, just because the food wasn’t really any cheaper than elsewhere it was still really good. And the slip was $1.50 a foot.

I confess that before we joined our club I had thoughts of Thurston Howell. It isn't that way at all. But that being said, some clubs are super laid back and others are more suited to at more "cultured" type of person. I often show up at our club in shorts and a t-shirt but I know there are clubs where that would be frowned upon. You won't know until you check it out for yourself.

I recommend you go to a club (or 2 or more) and get a feel for the atmosphere. Most clubs have something in place for potential new members to check it out. I know at our club we are open to folks stopping by every time the doors are open. In my opinion if you don't like the people at the club the recip. moorage isn't enough of a reason to join.

I love our club so much I volunteered to be an officer shortly after joining. It has truly enriched our lives and had I not checked it out in person I would still have the wrong impression about it. Check it out you have nothing to loose but an evening out.

Just my 2 cents.

Guru: There are lots of advantages to a Yacht Club. We just joined Venice Yacht Club and couldn't be happier. We spent last night on our boat here because it is like being on vacation. So what are the advantages: I only pay for the electric I actually use, about $10 a month vs $30 the marina wanted to charge, we have a fuel dock with discount fuel and free pump out, quality restaurant and tiki bar which you can access with out a wait in season. Free overnight docking and use of facilities of over 30 yacht clubs in Florida. Friendly people who share their knowledge on reputable marine trades people. The list goes on, I think you get my point. Go to their website and then go to the property and check it out.

Wifey B: Your club is one of my faves. Love it. We've docked there several times. Everyone has always been friendly and the marina is very well run.

One rule your club has that I love....(we were told about it by members and just looked it up to paste it correctly) :)

Slip Usage: Slips may not be used for "dead storage" of a boat. It is the policy of the Club that docks shall be occupied by active boats. Slips shall not be occupied by boats, which in the opinion of the Docking Committee, appear to indicate inactivity for any one or more of the following reasons: lack of proper maintenance; vessel not seaworthy; vessel not visited or used regularly by the owner(s).

Boats not used by the owner(s) for a period of 60 days or longer will be brought to the attention of the Docking Committee. For any Boat that has not been used for a period of 60 days, the Docking Committee will send a letter to the slip renter advising them that they are not abiding by Rule 11 and their failure to comply within the next 15 days will result in their monthly fee being increased to the local commercial rate of nearby marinas.

There will be a one month minimum charge retroactive to the original date of the violation. If the situation still exists 60 days after the first notification letter, the renter will be asked to remove the subject boat. It is the renter's responsibility to notify the Dockmaster each and every time the boat is taken out.

You guys want serious boaters. ;)

Wifey B: Your club is one of my faves. Love it. We've docked there several times. Everyone has always been friendly and the marina is very well run.

One rule your club has that I love....(we were told about it by members and just looked it up to paste it correctly) :)

Slip Usage: Slips may not be used for "dead storage" of a boat. It is the policy of the Club that docks shall be occupied by active boats. Slips shall not be occupied by boats, which in the opinion of the Docking Committee, appear to indicate inactivity for any one or more of the following reasons: lack of proper maintenance; vessel not seaworthy; vessel not visited or used regularly by the owner(s).

Boats not used by the owner(s) for a period of 60 days or longer will be brought to the attention of the Docking Committee. For any Boat that has not been used for a period of 60 days, the Docking Committee will send a letter to the slip renter advising them that they are not abiding by Rule 11 and their failure to comply within the next 15 days will result in their monthly fee being increased to the local commercial rate of nearby marinas.

There will be a one month minimum charge retroactive to the original date of the violation. If the situation still exists 60 days after the first notification letter, the renter will be asked to remove the subject boat. It is the renter's responsibility to notify the Dockmaster each and every time the boat is taken out.

You guys want serious boaters. ;)

Pray tell, how do they feel about live-aboards?

To paraphrase the great Groucho, why would I want to join a club that would have me for a member?
When asked, "Why do you want to join this yacht club?" I doubt the correct answer is, 'For the naked women and free booze and sex.' :)

Why Join a Yacht Club?

You should really explore the clubs in your area. Having twice been Commodore and dealing with the changing times, many clubs have lost their focus and purpose which is sharing socially in the sport of yachting, be it a trawler or a sleek sloop or a vintage ketch. Those clubs who have drifted away from their purpose have turned into social and drinking clubs and it doesn't take too many years until there are no boats left in the club. That's a sad day.

Those who require a sponsor or an invitation are more than happy to welcome more boats into the club. After all that is the whole purpose of membership. There is so much to learn from your fellow members to increase your skills and knowledge and there is nothing that beats that summer cruise out to another club and the warm welcome and new friends you make every time you go. If someone seems snobbish or standoffish, well, there are those kinds of people in the world too, but I would be willing to bet if you make the right inquiries, you will find open invitations to visit and welcoming members willing to introduce you to the club. Most every club has a web site and the club officers and contact information is listed. Remember that requiring a sponsor is a good thing, it helps to screen the problems out and keep the focus of the club on the whole reason the club was founded in the first place. You won't be sorry, and the reciprocal privileges when visiting new places are always a good time.

Pray tell, how do they feel about live-aboards?

To paraphrase the great Groucho, why would I want to join a club that would have me for a member?
When asked, "Why do you want to join this yacht club?" I doubt the correct answer is, 'For the naked women and free booze and sex.' :)

Wifey B: I don't want to join, just have enjoyed my visits there. Love Venice too. Actually love Venice, FL and Venice, Italy and even love Venice Beach, CA. Oh, and I also love the city known as the Venice of America. Everything Venice. :D

Obviously you're not interested! Had you walked into the clubhouse you would have had many opportunities to meet a few members that would have gladly sponsored you if you were friendly.

I have been part of two Yacht clubs, one had an initiation fee and a higher yearly fee and the second a rather cheap initiation fee and a cheap yearly fee. In both members complained about the fees. So the cost is no different to the members. Make sure your goals as a boater align and that you are open to being part of the club community. One club was very regional and if you were not from the community area it was hard to be apart of the larger group. The other club is more geared to sailing and we are power boaters, so trying to fit in is difficult still. We are now more resigned to stay part of the club just to access the reciprocals. We see the value in being part of a club but have not found a good fit.
Keep looking :)

Yacht Clubs Equals Your Time

ASD has belonged to a few clubs. The issue with us is the required time you have to give, along with $$.

At one club, each member is required to attend and be part of a work party at the yacht club. Failure to show costs you $60 per work party missed. You are required to attend at least 4 work parties along with annual dues and your shared cost for public areas, like dock lights.

Other clubs require you to perform board positions such as Commodore, Secretary etc.

Yacht Clubs require your time and participation. No worries if this is what you want.

We found that we are not around during the summer months when most activities occur. This was not acceptable to the club we belonged too, so we resigned a few weeks ago.

Bottom line question: How can a Yacht Club benefit you and your family's cruise schedule?

For the money we were dumping into our yacht club, it wasn't worth our time nor did it benefited ASD.

ASD has belonged to a few clubs. The issue with us is the required time you have to give, along with $$.

At one club, each member is required to attend and be part of a work party at the yacht club. Failure to show costs you $60 per work party missed. You are required to attend at least 4 work parties along with annual dues and your shared cost for public areas, like dock lights.

Other clubs require you to perform board positions such as Commodore, Secretary etc.

Yacht Clubs require your time and participation. No worries if this is what you want.

We found that we are not around during the summer months when most activities occur. This was not acceptable to the club we belonged too, so we resigned a few weeks ago.

Bottom line question: How can a Yacht Club benefit you and your family's cruise schedule?

For the money we were dumping into our yacht club, it wasn't worth our time nor did it benefited ASD.

Wifey B: Yacht clubs around us don't have such requirements. You pay your dues, you pay for your meals, and that's largely it. It's all fun and no work with staff paid to do all the work. Now, likely it costs more than the DIY clubs. We've not highly active but there are some members, between them and their kids, probably there 150 times a year. :)

The YC Sponsor requirement might be getting short shrift here. Most likely the By-Laws of the club require a sponsor for first contact. The Membership Chairman cannot do it all alone.

The Sponsor is needed for that first welcoming, the facilities tour, making introductions to other members, helping with the application process, explaining the activities, answering any questions, and on and on. They have a job to do that eases the process for all concerned and ends by presenting the applicant to the remaining membership for induction. All the above is mostly for the advantage of the applicant and should not be considered "snooty" at all. It is intended to be informative for the visitor. It often requires more than one meeting to get it all done, especially if one wants it done properly.

Finally, not all Sponsors are identical; some will do a great job and some will do it only halfway. "It takes two to Tango"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom