Old 02-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
We didn't really know what we were looking for other than a mobile beach house. When we boarded Skinny Dippin' the first time, I fell in love. No matter where I sat, I was comfortable. I hollered across the dock to a couple sitting on the aft deck of a 44' Symbol, "Does this boat make my butt look big???" They said no, so I guess it was just a good fit.

Tom was happy the one I fell in love with had simple systems. 1 Engine, 1 head, 1 AC unit. I think he would have bought me the moon if it would have floated us down the ICW.

Like Pineapple Girl....unless we find a winning Lotto ticket, Skinny Dippin' really can take us just about anywhere we want to go. If we did win, (a big one), a Krogen Express is high on the list, Grand Banks Aluetian, you get the picture. We'll have Skinny Dippin' for a good while.

Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I wanted a boat with almost nothing at all working...I wanted to be able to replace just about everything with stuff from Home Depot and Walmart so I could bug the livin' crap out of some of the trawler forum posters....

Actually the decision was to find a boat that emerging from near bankruptcy (note cheap enough to buy with limited cash) that would satisfy me as a liveaboard cruiser (had to find something quick) that would take me into my just pre-nursing home years.

It had to be easy to maintain, single handle, have enough room to bring along a friend () and her big dog as it turns out, no kitchen in the living room and had to remain afloat for at least 24 hour intervals without intervention...

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Perla was happy to select the stone-counter's colors as well as for the cushion covers and curtains. She likes the boat because "it isn't too close to the water," that is, the Coot has high/secure railings and an enclosed pilothouse (and motorboats don't usually lean 30-45 degrees as sailboats frequently do.)

Old 02-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
We want to explore by water all the amazing country we've been exploring by air.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Scout
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Penny wanted walk around decks, so we have walk around decks. The rest was just an accident of luck, cause we love our boat!
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #26
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Why did I buy my boat?

It told me too.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #27
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
We ultimately wanted a comfortable small boat to explore the delta with. Started looking for something with a saltier rugged look but fell in love with wood express cruisers. Finally fell in love with an Owens that told us both "Buy me".

If and when we move up we promised ourselves about 8 to 10 more feet, for now complete bliss.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:15 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
I was in love with the trawler style, after two trailer yachts, and a diesel cruiser which we had in hire, which worked well in that capacity, but had little character in my view. I also favoured a tri, or aft cabin type, for the extra and separate accommodation. My wife liked the style, but wanted the indoor - outdoor living a rear cockpit allowed. So, we kept waiting and looking, until one came up practically on our doorstep. The rest, as they say, is history, and she was right.....
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #29
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Upon the expanse of open water, my Admiral experiences a bliss far beyond anything I can comprehend, but that I can sometimes manage to somewhat "live" through her. It seems that Bucky found us and agreed to support that incomprehensible bliss into our retirement in July of this year.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #30
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
We had a 33' express cruiser and loved most of the stuff about the boat but didn't like being "down in the cave" all the time. We wanted
~~something bigger to spend a few months aboard during the summer
~~2 or 3 staterooms
~~2 heads

I wanted
~~diesels
~~covered flybridge
~~covered cockpit (we added that after we bought it)
~~old electronics because I wanted to upgrade them myself
~~air conditioning
~~a genset big enough to power everything on the boat with an adequate reserve power
~~no wood on the exterior of the boat
~~minimal wood inside
~~everything (except electronics) working so I didn't have to start replacing stuff

My wife wanted
~~a decent size galley with decent size refrig and freezer

~~
Old 02-09-2013, 02:22 AM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Santa Barbara, California
Vessel Name: Fleur De Lys
Vessel Model: 1988 Nova 36 Sundeck
We wanted an appartment in so cal to escape the harsh N cal winters and so the wife could paint with some artists in Laguna beach. The boat was way cheaper, faster, the rent is less, and the ocean view better the what we saw for 5X the $. The walk around queen helpped, plus lots of room for surfboards, being a good coastal crusier with reasonable range and the PO had dumpped a bunch of money into it befor deciding to sell. Having had it for just over a year now and looking at other boats, i denfently could not replace it for what i payed
Third-Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:24 AM   #32
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
My wants changed slightly over the year I spent looking for a boat, but in the end I was looking for:

- something that would handle 4-6 feet of choppy swell
- displacement hull
- good all round visibility
- a boat that is fishable
- back up engine (or sail)
- nice lines
- affordable to buy, run and maintain

My wife wanted:
- sleep & feed 4 comfortably for up to a week
- something that wouldn't sink
- affordable to buy

We'll soon see if our newly purchased boat meets all of our objectives.
Our last boat - a much loved 50 year old 18ft plywood runaboat - struggled with both of our first objectives; although we did try on the odd occasion.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #33

City: Manila
Vessel Name: Carabao
Vessel Model: Home built power tri
Why did you buy your boat?
I have changed a bit but started with a basic design brief:

This boat will have to operate in open ocean low latitude conditions.
Range at cruise speed 3000 miles
Cruise speed of 400 miles per day
top speed 20 knts
Max 160hp
integral fuel tanks
Cat one safety gear
short handable
5 tons of cargo
Cheap to build
cheap to run
Boatgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #34
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
...and motorboats don't usually lean 30-45 degrees as sailboats frequently do.
I'm amazed as I read this how many things were not on my "official" list, but were in my "always keep in mind" list. The thing about sailboats heeling was a show-stopper for my wife, too.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #35
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Because the DeFever 48 was on my list of two dream boats that would ever be in my price range (Krogen Whaleback being the other). I wanted a little ship that could cross oceans thereby making the normal stuff quite comfortable. I love the space of the aft cabins but the covered decks and style of the "Europa" sedans. We now have both. Another need was the three staterooms, galley up and two heads. Full size shower. Finally a standup engine room was a must.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #36
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
My wants changed slightly over the year I spent looking for a boat, but in the end I was looking for:

- something that would handle 4-6 feet of choppy swell

We'll soon see if our newly purchased boat meets all of our objectives.
Our last boat - a much loved 50 year old 18ft plywood runaboat - struggled with both of our first objectives; although we did try on the odd occasion.
4-6' chop in a 30'? I don't see how that's going to work?
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #37
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
We decided to step up in comfort from sea kayaking.

Last summer we drove 1,200 km and almost bought a sensibly sized first boat; a 23' trailerable diesel pocket trawler. The deal fell through at the last second because while on the hoist we discovered it weighed almost twice as much as was stated in a Pacific Yachting magazine article written in the early 80's. (The surveyor figured it was a combination of the writer using the hull weight, plus somebody putting extra weight in the keel.)

We had bought a better trailer for it, but it wasn't strong enough. We hit the slope of rationalization at full speed and started crunching the numbers...selling new trailer for a loss...buying a stronger trailer...buying a stronger truck...plus the cost to bring the boat up to snuff. We ended up walking away from the deal, but the sting was lessened by a feeling that the Karmic Forces had a better boat waiting for us that we didn't know about yet.

When we got home we went and finally looked at a Sundowner Tug which had been for sale locally for three years. We'd never gone to see it because it was a much bigger boat than we felt comfortable getting, and it was a slam-dunk the price would have been way out of our league...until that trip down the slippery slope of rationalization!

We got along with the PO's son and PO's wife really well. The sea trial was perfect. We settled on a partnership where the son, who's a millwright and knows the boat inside and out, will stay on through the years and teach us everything we need to know from the batteries on up.

So, now we have our retirement boat 13 years early
Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #38

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
[QUOTE=JD;133194]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
------------------

I have a question.

So who is it you got upset that you were banished to the dink? Or was it that after setting the whisker pole in that 6 ktn breeze you were so happy that the wing and wing went on for more than five minutes you just had to have a picture.
It was me in the dink out of sheer boredom.
You must know what it's like to run downwind in a light breeze and have the apparent wind regularly go to zero so the windvane quits.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #39
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
4-6' chop in a 30'? I don't see how that's going to work?
Either do I , but I'll soon let you know. I may have to scale down my expectations, but I think the boat will probably handle more than I will.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #40
Scraping Paint

City: -
If the original question is why did we buy the boat we did, not just why did we buy a boat period, then I'd have to say we simply bought a boat that we felt would meet our needs in the most sensible way. But GB is not on our list of favorite boats. In fact we feel they are fairly ugly and unbalanced, so we certainly didn't buy it for aesthetic reasons.

The pluses are they are very well built, particularly the first year of fiberglass; previous owners tend to take very good care of them so even an old one is more than likely in far better shape than many other makes the same age; they have great visibility from the main cabin (one of the reasons we ruled out a sailboat which in some ways would have made more sense for us), and they have a spacious (for this kind of boat) walk-around main deck which for us is an absolute requirement in a boat of this type.

And the deciding factor was that older GBs are damn near free in comparison to the boats we prefer. So the cost to get into this kind of boating would be minimal for us, yet we would still get a very good boat.

While we had never even considered a GB in our discussions about getting into this kind of boating in years past, when we decided to see what this kind of boating was about we decided to charter a boat first. A good friend of ours who at the time was in the marine diesel/generator manufacturing industry had a friend who owned a charter company in Bellingham. This company specialized in Grand Banks. So we chartered one because of the connection to the company, not because of the kind of boats they had, and while we were not particularly enamored with GB we loved the experience.

When we decided to commit to the "sport" and buy a boat of our own, it made sense to get a GB for the reasons I listed above plus we were now somewhat familiar with them from chartering and we had excellent contacts in the GB market so the search and buying process would be quick. We had and have no time for shopping for boats, poring over ads, walking docks, etc. We also don't have the interest in doing any of this and still don't.

So it was a fairly objective decision, not a subjective or emotional one in terms of the type of boat we got.

By sticking with GB and working with people we already knew and who were very experienced with the brand with connections in the market throughout the country-- plus our ace-in-the-hole friend in the marine diesel business-- it was a very fast process. The time between when we made the actual decision to buy a boat and when we put an offer on a boat was a little less than an hour.

Fourteen-plus years later we are still using the boat year round, going up to it almost every weekend, and enjoying the hell out of operating and maintaining it. We still don't much care for GBs aesthetically but this one has served us well in every respect except speed, and we may be doing something about that in the not-too-distant future, we'll see. So we've never had any regrets or "I wish we'd done this instead" moments since we bought the boat.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote