D. 8 25.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
The Skipper Dudes Captain Test

These are Questions from the USCG exam for a Captains license.

No fare looking up the answer.

The first question is from rules of the road Inland only.

1. You are navigating a narrow channel and must remain in the channel for safe operation. Another vessel is crossing the channel ahead of you from your starboard and you doubt weather your vessel will pass safely. Which statement is TRUE?

A. You must stop your vessel, since the other vessel is the stand-on.

B. You must sound one short blast of the whistle and turn to starboard.

C. You must sound the danger signal.

D. You must stop your engines and you may sound the danger signal.

OK so this and all questions will be with a poll If you have any background on the answer please post so we can discuss it

I will try and post a new question daily or when discussion has ended for the question.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
How narrow is the channel?
How far ahead of you is the other vessel? 1/4 mile? 100'?
How large is the other vessel (Might is right)?
"You must stop your engines"...What if you have single?
Good thing I'm not a captain...
Old 02-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
At the risk of sounding cynical, I'd bet the Miami answer to that question is a continent apart from the PNW answer.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #4

City: Saanich BC
Vessel Name: Therapi
Vessel Model: 1998 Bayliner 4087
Interesting: Unless your, US inland rules differ greatly from the International rule #9 - A vessel shall not cross a narrow channel or fairway if such crossing impedes the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within such channel or fairway. The latter vessel may use the sound signal perscribed in Rule #34 (d) if in doubt as to the intention of the crossing vessel.
Rule #34 (d) When vessels in sight of one another are approaching each other and from any cause either vessel fails to understand the intentions or actions of the other, or is in doubt whether sufficient action is being taken by the other to avoid collision, the vessel in doubt shall immediately indicate such doubt by giviing at least five short and rapid blasts on the whistle. Such signal may be supplemented by a light signal of at least five short and rapid flashed.
The question of width of the narrow channel is redundent as the stand-on vessel for what ever reason is restricted in some way. The issue is that you never argue with a Miami bus. Size regardless of rules rules.
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Guru

[QUOTE=Cyclone;131933]Interesting: Unless your, US inland rules differ greatly from the International rule #9 -

These are not my questions.

These questions come from the list of questions given in a USCG test for A captains lisence.

There are number of captain license available.
Uninspected, inspected, 6 pack. The list gos on.
There are 9000 questions in the data base for the license exam.

I thought that if posted as poll it would give everyone the ability to participate.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
There lays the body of Michael O’ Day. He died defending his right of way. Mike was right, dead right, as he cruised along. But... he’s just as dead as if he’d been wrong!

My apologies, skipperdude. Couldn’t help but to add this ageless saying representing life over rules... at least in the last second of decision!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
Guru

No apologies needed my friend.

I was hoping for things like this.
Helps you remember associated things.
Like red over red. The captain is dead

So far C is in the lead.

Cyclone's commets are points well taken.

No one has indicated B

SD
Old 02-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
C...clear as day in the rules.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Good lord...
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Good lord...
Yep...had him, Moses and Noah all in my first captain's licensing class....you'll never guess who failed!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #11
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Must = C
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #12
KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post
These are Questions from the USCG exam for a Captains license.

No fare looking up the answer.

The first question is from rules of the road Inland only.

1. You are navigating a narrow channel and must remain in the channel for safe operation. Another vessel is crossing the channel ahead of you from your starboard and you doubt weather your vessel will pass safely. Which statement is TRUE?

A. You must stop your vessel, since the other vessel is the stand-on.

B. You must sound one short blast of the whistle and turn to starboard.

C. You must sound the danger signal.

D. You must stop your engines and you may sound the danger signal.

OK so this and all questions will be with a poll If you have any background on the answer please post so we can discuss it

I will try and post a new question daily or when discussion has ended for the question.
The answer is C.

(d) A vessel shall not cross a narrow passage or fairway if such crossing impedes the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within such channel or fairway. The latter vessel may use the sound signal prescribed in Rule 34(d) if in doubt as to the intention of the crossing vessel. KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #13

City: Washington
I vote for D. All vessels are obligated to avoid a collision under rule 8. As you cannot alter course due to the confines of the channel, the only course of action is rule 8e. "If necessary to avoid a collision or allow more time to assess the situation, a vessel shall slacken her speed or take way all the way off by stopping or reversing her means of propulsion."

If this action does not eliminate the likelihood of collision, rule 34 may be the next step as there are no other options available to you.

That's my take on it.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:27 AM   #14
KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
This was on the USCG test that I took (verbatim)

7. INLAND ONLY: Your vessel must stay within a narrow channel to be navigated safely. Another vessel is crossing your course from starboard to port. You do NOT think she will pass safely. You __________

A. may sound the danger signal

B. must sound the danger signal

C. should sound one short blast to indicate that you are holding course and speed

D. are required to back down

The answer is C (at least the USCG says it's C).

Inland Rule 9 (D)

Rule 9 - Narrow Channels
(a) (i) A vessel proceeding along the course of a narrow channel or fairway shall keep as near to the outer limit of the channel or fairway which lies on her starboard side as is safe and practicable.
(ii) Notwithstanding paragraph (a)(i) and Rule 14(a), a power-driven vessel operating in narrow channels or fairways on the Great Lakes, Western Rivers, or waters specified by the Secretary, and proceeding downbound with a following current shall have the right-of-way over an upbound vessel, shall propose the manner and place of passage, and shall initiate the maneuvering signals prescribed by Rule 34(a)(i), as appropriate. The vessel proceeding upbound against the current shall hold as necessary to permit safe passing.

(b) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway.

(c) A vessel engaged in fishing shall not impede the passage of any other vessel navigating within a narrow channel or fairway.

(d) A vessel shall not cross a narrow passage or fairway if such crossing impedes the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within such channel or fairway. The latter vessel may use the sound signal prescribed in Rule 34(d) if in doubt as to the intention of the crossing vessel. KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #15
Guru

The correct answer is C.

The study guide does not define the answer but leaves it up to you to determine the reason the answer is C.

So if you know the exact response please indicate it such as rule and quote.
In this instance I think that has been done.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #16
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr SD. I didn't mean to pee in your cereal. COLREG's are in place primarily to provide everyone basic "rules of the road". As a secondary, to allow blame or fault to be assessed. The reason I questioned your question is that every situation has to be assessed in a cold critical manner by those involved to prevent a collision at that time. I am not familiar enough with every reg. to quote chapter and verse but I feel I know enough to keep myself out of trouble. If your situation happened to me, MY primary goal would be to prevent a collision OR damage to my vessel at all costs.
If faced with the scenario you presented, the first thing I would probably do is stop, if I could, and try to figure out what the heck the other vessel was doing or what it's intentions were regardless of who had the "right of way". Arguing who has the right of way after the fact of a collision does not lessen damage. If I felt a collision was imminent, then I would sound the five whistles. These two reactions on my part might occur in very quick succession.
Are my actions "proper" wrt COLREGs? I'm not sure but I NEVER want to hit anything or anybody EVER.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #17
Guru

The tricks about the USCG questions are to read carefully and pick out the must, may should, shall etc...that usually can be traced back to a quote in the actual rule that applies.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #18
Guru

The trouble with exact interpretation of the rules is they are written for 1000 foot ships and 10 foot boats...what we can do with ours and not cause a big deal is easy...not so with the ships...they HAVE to be more careful on how they apply the rules.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #19
Guru

13 people responded to the pole with the correct answer.

I don't know how to start a new poll on the same thread so I think I will need to start a new thread.

psneedl is right on with his response.

SD