Old 01-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #21
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Thanks for the catch...I mean the guys that use oversize lines are really......oh...I'll leave it to the imagination...
Hehehe it's amazing how seemingly innocent a comment is until some smartar$e uses the quote option and deletes sections lol

Nothing like a bit of friendly banter :-D. Good to see you can have a laugh mate! Too many serious people on here ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #22
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
...but I have suggested in some marinas that each boat uses the cleats behind the neighboring boats so the lines don't have to be crossed and the lines are angled enough to keep the boat in their slip. Works just as well and the swim platforms are clear and the outboard guys don't have rubbing on their motors.

Then some clown comes along and refuses to tie up that way and ruins it sometimes for everyone else.
I'm confused here. Doesn't take much sometime. If we do what you are suggesting the boat on my left's starboard aft line would use the cleat behind my boat and my port stern line would go to his starboard dock cleat. Both boats are in their slips stern to. This causes a bit of a problem as the lines have to cross over the finger dock between our two boats. Creating a tripping hazard.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I'm confused here. Doesn't take much sometime. If we do what you are suggesting the boat on my left's starboard aft line would use the cleat behind my boat and my port stern line would go to his starboard dock cleat. Both boats are in their slips stern to. This causes a bit of a problem as the lines have to cross over the finger dock between our two boats. Creating a tripping hazard.
If there's a finger dock...there should be a cleat right under your stern cleat...if not install one...if the marina says no...they are jerks.

The short line should keep you in place easily. If it is not a floating dock then I would have to see your whole setup to make another recommendation.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
psneeld wrote:

"If there's a finger dock...there should be a cleat right under your stern cleat...if not install one...if the marina says no...they are jerks"

Generally speaking, forgiveness is easier to get than permission.
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:50 AM   #25

City: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
In my marina with floating docks and little/no wake, boats have their lines directly tied to the docks. Besides, Coot's "stern" cleats aren't on the quarter so crossing the lines isn't practical.
I have installed Seahorse cleats on the stern. No problems at all

Sent from my iPad using Trawler
Harvest Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #26
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
To overcome the short, vertical lines at the stern problem, I had cleats welded to the lower extremities of my davit assemblies, so then a line can be run horizontally to the bull rail. When a wash comes by, the line is long enough and the angle is fair, so there is no jerking. If we are boarding from the swimgrid, I put this line further aft on the bull rail to allow inimpeded access.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #27
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
When I moved my boat into a slip at the marina where she is now, I noticed that all of the other boats in slips had crossed stern lines. That is, the line from the starboard piling went to the cleat on the port side of the boat, and the line from the port piling went to the cleat on the starboard side of the boat. I did my lines like that also, so as not to be different, but do not see why it is any advantage over going port to port and starboard to starboard. Can anyone educate me on why it is better? (Yeah, I know -- this is not some sort of earthshaking issue. But color me curious).

John
TheOP isn't talking about floats or docks. He talks of a piling on either side of his stern. So I'm thinking there must be some small tidal change or other changing of water levels that make "crossing the stern lines" a good or necessary practice to make the lines long enough so as not to become too tight.

So he must be talking about a European bow in and stern tied off type of moorage. From what I've seen stern in may be more popular but that (it would seem) would require deep water near/at the seawall. I think it may be that simple and we've gone of in more complicated directions.

Can/will the original poster confirm this?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #28
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvest Eagle View Post
I have installed Seahorse cleats on the stern. No problems at all
I had the Coot's builder install an extra cleat on each side between the stern and "standard" midship cleats. I've found them handy.