Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #1
Guru
 
HeadMistress's Avatar


 
City: AR
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,624
Why AMVETS sell poppies on Memorial Day

John McCrae was serving as a Major and a military doctor and was second in command of the 1st Brigade Canadian Field Artillery. The brigade had arrived there in the early hours of 23 April 1915. It is believed that the death of his friend, Alexis Helmer, was the inspiration for McCrae's poem “In Flanders Fields”.

The Flanders American War Cemetery and the largest British Commonwealth War Cemetery in the world are in Flanders, Belgium and hold the graves of fallen WWI and WWII solders. The reference to the red poppies that grew over the graves of fallen soldiers resulted in the remembrance poppy becoming one of the world's most recognized memorial symbols for soldiers who have died in conflict. The poem and poppy are prominent Remembrance Day symbols throughout the Commonwealth of Nations, particularly in Canada, where "In Flanders Fields" is one of the nation's best-known literary works. The poem is also widely known in the United States, where it is associated with Veterans Day and Memorial Day.

IN FLANDERS FIELDS

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.


Have a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend, while taking time to remember why we observe it.

--Peggie
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
© 2019 Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since '87.
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors"
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:55 PM   #2
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,936
It is actually comemorated on November 11th in the UK and around the Commonwealth. (Armistice Day).

It started in 1921 when the Royal British Legion veterans support organization was founded.

The memorial at The Tower Of London a few years ago was pretty amazing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tower2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	89089  
__________________

menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
Guru
 
Steve's Avatar
 
City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,839
It was one of the many very good poems we memorized in 6th-8th grade.
__________________
Steve W.
http://mvgumbo.blogspot.com/
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:50 AM   #4
Guru
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
John McCrae was serving as a Major and a military doctor and was second in command of the 1st Brigade Canadian Field Artillery. The brigade had arrived there in the early hours of 23 April 1915. It is believed that the death of his friend, Alexis Helmer, was the inspiration for McCrae's poem “In Flanders Fields”.

The Flanders American War Cemetery and the largest British Commonwealth War Cemetery in the world are in Flanders, Belgium and hold the graves of fallen WWI and WWII solders. The reference to the red poppies that grew over the graves of fallen soldiers resulted in the remembrance poppy becoming one of the world's most recognized memorial symbols for soldiers who have died in conflict. The poem and poppy are prominent Remembrance Day symbols throughout the Commonwealth of Nations, particularly in Canada, where "In Flanders Fields" is one of the nation's best-known literary works. The poem is also widely known in the United States, where it is associated with Veterans Day and Memorial Day.

IN FLANDERS FIELDS

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.


Have a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend, while taking time to remember why we observe it.

--Peggie
We just completed the Great Loop. We took the Lake Champlain route through the Chambly Canal. We spent the night in a number of small towns on this canal and other very small towns along the way further on. Walking the local streets we nearly always found the memorial to the fallen and often a Canadian Legion hall. Now, mind you, these are small towns. What struck me in looking at the memorials was the incredible number of the names of the fallen relative to the size of the population. Yes, many Americans perished in WW1 but I think most Americans do not realize how profound (comparatively) the loss of life was for Canada, Britain, Australia, New Zealand.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:58 AM   #5
Guru
 
HeadMistress's Avatar


 
City: AR
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,624
It is actually comemorated on November 11th in the UK and around the Commonwealth. (Armistice Day).

Now called Rememberance Day in the Commonwealth... Armistice Day was renamed Veterans Day here in the US in 1954 after President Eisenhower noted that the United States had been engaged in two wars since Armistice Day was first observed.



--Peggie
__________________
© 2019 Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since '87.
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors"
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:59 AM   #6
Guru
 
Crusty Chief's Avatar
 
City: Las Vegas/Portland
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,337
Thanks Peggie for reminding us all. As a Vietnam and Gulf war vet, it wasn't always a warm welcome home. I for one am proud of the way we greet our vets today, from all nations, lets hope it doesn’t fade.

Cheers to those that didn’t come home!
__________________
John & Tracey
Pairadice S4714
http://mvpairadice.blogspot.com/
" I can explain, but I can't make you understand"
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
firehoser75's Avatar
 
City: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 216
Thanks Peggy. Good to get everyone thinking about why we have these "holidays" and the great sacrifices that were made.

God Bless all who serve(d) to protect us, especially those in the military.
__________________
Tom
Nanaimo, BC
firehoser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:49 AM   #8
Guru
 
City: NC
Country: US
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
...Walking the local streets we nearly always found the memorial to the fallen and often a Canadian Legion hall. Now, mind you, these are small towns. What struck me in looking at the memorials was the incredible number of the names of the fallen relative to the size of the population. Yes, many Americans perished in WW1 but I think most Americans do not realize how profound (comparatively) the loss of life was for Canada, Britain, Australia, New Zealand.
We noticed the same in the small towns we visited in Scotland. There is a HUGE memorial in Campbeltown, Scotland. Small town but huge memorial. I think the town lost four times as many men in WWI than in WWII.

The big tower in the photo is the memorial in a very nice park at the end of the loch.

Later,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GSC_0484.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	89112  
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Express Cruiser 1969
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 246
I lived 9 years in the States, 2 in Madison Wis and 7 in Chicago, and I don't really remember poppies, this residency was in the mid to early 70's. Being Canadian, from a military family and having served in the military and a son currently in the military, I'm acutely aware of Remembrance Day. And I attended a number of Memorial day events, but I don't remember the poppies there.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:35 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
City: Great Lakes
Country: USA
Vessel Model: OA 440
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 333
Thanks for posting that Peggie. Very thoughtful.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:29 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
bgillroy's Avatar
 
City: Marathon, FL & On Loop
Country: usa
Vessel Name: Maka Honu
Vessel Model: Ta Yang, 42 Tayana PH Trawler 1976
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 187
Thanks Peggy for reminder and your expert guidance on our marine heads worked out super.
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #12
Guru
 
HeadMistress's Avatar


 
City: AR
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
I lived 9 years in the States, 2 in Madison Wis and 7 in Chicago, and I don't really remember poppies... And I attended a number of Memorial day events, but I don't remember the poppies there.

Poppies have never been a ubiquitous symbol of WWI. But on Veterans Day (November 11, originally "Armistice Day" renamed just as the Commonwealth has renamed it Remembrance Day) and Memorial Day weekends you'll see AMVET members selling small paper poppies outside just about every supermarket, mall and other high traffic sites.


AMVETS (American Veterans) has one of America’s leading veterans service organizations for more than 75 years with a proud history of assisting veterans and sponsoring numerous programs that serve them. The poppy sales are one of their fund raising efforts.


--Peggie
__________________

__________________
© 2019 Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since '87.
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors"
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012