Why all the red lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The International Code of Signals (ICS) is an international system of signals and codes for use by vessels to communicate important messages regarding safety of navigation and related matters. Signals can be sent by flaghoist, signal lamp ("blinker"), flag semaphore, radiotelegraphy, and radiotelephony. The International Code is the most recent evolution of a wide variety of maritime flag signalling systems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Code_of_Signals

Used to see it a lot on vessels for all kinds of messaging...by the time I got out of the USCG...not so much.

Last edited:
The doubled ones are interesting. I'm thinking greater intensity though it could simply be backup.

There is so little vertical separation between the stacked lights it would appear from anly distance to be one light and not two therefore I vote on "back-up" or redundant lights.

The double lights are just built in redundancy, required for commercial (Charter) vessels. They also have a full alarm panel in the pilothouse to indicate when one of those lights goes out.

Yup, redundancy. It's nice to just flip a switch to an auxiliary bulb when a nav light goes out. Nobody wants to climb up a mast in the middle of the night to change a bulb. The sidelights on the tug I work on don't have this, so when a bulb burns out, somebody has to climb up on top of the pilothouse, 90' up, where there are no railings, to change it. It's a real pain.

the original post says all red and all around...not sure where that relates to redundancy of a red nav light...just for aground and NUC....and how often do you need redundancy in those compared to the white and green nav lights?

psneeld said:
the original post says all red and all around...
She's still sitting in Victoria Harbour and I will be there one day next week so will have another look and do a more thorough inventory.

Binoculars might catch their attention.:eek:

It would appear that the side lights are on the side in the first pic. Not on the mast.

There are various reasons to carry all around red lights aboard larger vessels. They're supposed to be shown while fueling or transferring dangerous cargo, not under command, aground, restricted by their draft, restricted in their ability to maneuver, engaged in pilotage activity, or fishing commercially.

The all round red light has many uses.

The double lights are just built in redundancy, required for commercial (Charter) vessels. They also have a full alarm panel in the pilothouse to indicate when one of those lights goes out.

Can you cite in the COLREGS were redundancy is a requirement?

I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of that.

attachment.php

That graphic is easy! Restricted in Ability to Maneuver (Red / White / Red). Two side lights (red and green) of course. Two forward masthead lights = Towing. Double red and green show which side the obstruction is on, and which side is safe to pass.

At night, with nothing visible but these lights, I'd know in an instant exactly what was dead ahead of me. Some sort of dredge or other RAM at work. I'd give way (unless I was NUC) and pass on the green side.

In real life, it can be a little more difficult, looking at a different angle, with shore lights and work lights in the picture, but you can still figure out what's going on if you know your lights:
4339-albums438-picture2746.jpg

I though the double masthead lights indicate it's over a certain length?

But I would agree with the summary.

I though the double masthead lights indicate it's over a certain length?

But I would agree with the summary.
trip whites are tows over 200m, 2 in a row is just towing with tow vessel less than 50m

plus the dredge lights above probably don't signify towing...they are just a forward and aft masthead denoting greater than 50m in length and underway....would be silly to display towing lights on an active dredge as it aint going anywhere fast and is already RAM.... page 94 USCG NAVRULES ...

Last edited:
I think that it just goes to show that if you could afford that vessel than someone will sell you a bunch of lights you do not need an are not required to have but look really cool.

plus the dredge lights above probably don't signify towing...they are just a forward and aft masthead denoting greater than 50m in length and underway

Better answer, thanks! I was somehow thinking the aft light might not be visible, but of course per the rules it has to be.

Got to keep up on these navrules questions, my test is coming up!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom