Old 05-19-2017, 08:16 AM   #21
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
You mean Ted Lang?
Yup Ted Lang hull. The guy who built my boat got the Lang hull and built the remaining himself. I think I am the only one that have a Lang boat with aft cabin

L.

Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #22
FF
Guru

"Why don't members put the year, make and model of their boats in their profiles? I think it is helpful in putting their comments in perspective."

Because many have been boating for decades , 6 in my case.

Do you really need a list of every boat I have owned , built or rebuilt in 60 years to evaluate a posting?

What you get on any board is an opinion , decide for yourself if its valid.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:23 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Big story being Ted Lang boat building and sales. From Freeport LI, NY... to Maine... To Canada... and Back. My dad was lead purchasing agent for one sequence and I worked in one of Ted's boat building factories. Not all of the Lang story is pretty, some portions seem OK. Started in 1940's and ended some time in the 90's. From what I know!

I knew Ted from when I was in grade school through my early 20's.
Oh very interesting, I search for information on Ted Lang boats and was not able to find much. One other guy here on the forum own a Lang (johnnypipes) but except for the hull mine is different.
I am very proud to own kind of a piece of history and try to keep/make it great.

L.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Mine is one of I think only three hulls . The builder built a few 36 footers and several 26 ft (I think) tugs . The builder is Andre Bilodeau . He wrote a couple books on foam core construction. The title of one is :
"Building Your Hull With Bead and Cove Foam System Using Core Cell Foam "
Old 05-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Mine is one of I think only three hulls . The builder built a few 36 footers and several 26 ft (I think) tugs . The builder is Andre Bilodeau . He wrote a couple books on foam core construction. The title of one is :
"Building Your Hull With Bead and Cove Foam System Using Core Cell Foam "
The name sound like coming from Quebec, Bilodeau is a very common name up here.

L.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:54 AM   #26

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
My thought is because if you put city, country, vessel year, make, model and name, you can now identify exactly who I am. some folks like to maintain a certain level of anonymity.

You might not like my opinion. I might not want you walking do the dock to continue having your 'discussion' with me when I'm with my family.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:04 AM   #27

City: New Tazewell
Vessel Name: Saoirse
Vessel Model: 1983 Nauticat 44 Ketch
I'm "between boats" but will update the profile with my last one...
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:11 AM   #28
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. S. I'm with you! I don't think what vessel I may or may not have has any bearing on my posts other than I DO have some familiarity with equipment I may or may not have on board similar to others...Maybe or maybe not.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #29
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Yup Ted Lang hull. The guy who built my boat got the Lang hull and built the remaining himself. I think I am the only one that have a Lang boat with aft cabin

L.
Lou - Thought I somehow recognized that hull as a Lang. Thing I could not get clear in my head was the superstructure design, aft cabin especially. Thanks for info.

Do you know where the guy who built your boat found the hull? Was it in Canada or Maine?

Back in 1950's / 60's "Ted Lang" yacht sales [not boat builders] was on Woodcleft Canal, Freeport, LI, NY. 1965 dad purchased a 38' sport fisher, raised deck boat off Ted's yard. We spent the next few years making it cherry and adding an enclosed salon as well as repowering with a Perkins diesel. That boat was a woody with keel laid 1951 at Brooklyn Navy Yard. She was a beauty!

Ted moved operations to near Rockland Maine in 1970. He began a BIG boat manufacturing plant. 26' to 70'. Mostly fiberglass and some large woodys. Economy fell on hard times. Ted suddenly closed shop and disappeared... with most of the equipment and some of the boats. I heard he showed up in Canada and started boat building again?? Then I heard in the 80's he'd closed Canada operations and started building again in the Carolinas or a state near by.

Yours is the only one of three Lang hulls/boats I've seen or heard of in years. I worked for Ted building fiberglass boats when first out of HS.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Lou - Thought I somehow recognized that hull as a Lang. Thing I could not get clear in my head was the superstructure design, aft cabin especially. Thanks for info.

Do you know where the guy who built your boat found the hull? Was it in Canada or Maine?

Back in 1950's / 60's "Ted Lang" yacht sales [not boat builders] was on Woodcleft Canal, Freeport, LI, NY. 1965 dad purchased a 38' sport fisher, raised deck boat off Ted's yard. We spent the next few years making it cherry and adding an enclosed salon as well as repowering with a Perkins diesel. That boat was a woody with keel laid 1951 at Brooklyn Navy Yard. She was a beauty!

Ted moved operations to near Rockland Maine in 1970. He began a BIG boat manufacturing plant. 26' to 70'. Mostly fiberglass and some large woodys. Economy fell on hard times. Ted suddenly closed shop and disappeared... with most of the equipment and some of the boats. I heard he showed up in Canada and started boat building again?? Then I heard in the 80's he'd closed Canada operations and started building again in the Carolinas or a state near by.

Yours is the only one of three Lang hulls/boats I've seen or heard of in years. I worked for Ted building fiberglass boats when first out of HS.
Art, unfortunately I do not know where the builder got the hull. I tried to get trace to the guy but was not able to find him.
He built the boat in 1994 than sold it 2 years after to the PO who was barely using it. It stayed some years on the hard as the PO was living in Europe for a while than got back to water and finally last year sold to me.

L.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #31
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieFromNJ View Post
Why don't members put the year, make and model of their boats in their profiles?
We are embarrassed by how old our boats are.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #32
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Thought I done that, long ago.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Monroe Twp
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: TBD
This site is about sharing experience and knowledge to help each other. Knowing the boat age and model does put comments in perspective especially comments regarding bought design and seaworthiness. Iv'e read comments like "I have no problem crossing from point A to Point B" or I would never take my boat from point A to Point B" or "my boat performs well in following seas or beam seas". Then of course the question is "what boat do you have", the profile may or may not tell you and you would have to ask. Just my thought and obvious you don't need to complete you profile if you don't want to.
NewbieFromNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #34
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
This site is about sharing experience and knowledge to help each other. Knowing the boat age and model does put comments in perspective especially comments regarding bought design and seaworthiness. Iv'e read comments like "I have no problem crossing from point A to Point B" or I would never take my boat from point A to Point B" or "my boat performs well in following seas or beam seas". Then of course the question is "what boat do you have", the profile may or may not tell you and you would have to ask. Just my thought and obvious you don't need to complete you profile if you don't want to.
Wifey B: We don't list our boats. They're pretty much irrelevant. We have said what we're using as our loop boat. However, we don't own a trawler as such, we just do a lot of trawler things. We're very careful though to tailor advice to the boat the one asking owns. That's the important boat. If someone says they own a 12' rowboat and asks about crossing to the Bahamas, I'm going to say although we go to the Bahamas all the time. We may not own certain boats but know a lot about them. Hubby's more knowledgeable than me on different boats, but then there are things I'm the expert on. I do understand your point but responses do have to be based on the boat owned by the one asking.

Then much of what is discussed here is not at all boat dependent. One talks about how beautiful Vancouver is. Well, it's just as beautiful however you get there and every type boat goes there.

Then we might just happen to own a boat or boats totally irrelevant to discussions here. For instance, I like to go fast. I still want something faster. I don't know what though. But it needs to go more than 50 knots.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Monroe Twp
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: We don't list our boats. They're pretty much irrelevant. We have said what we're using as our loop boat. However, we don't own a trawler as such, we just do a lot of trawler things. We're very careful though to tailor advice to the boat the one asking owns. That's the important boat. If someone says they own a 12' rowboat and asks about crossing to the Bahamas, I'm going to say although we go to the Bahamas all the time. We may not own certain boats but know a lot about them. Hubby's more knowledgeable than me on different boats, but then there are things I'm the expert on. I do understand your point but responses do have to be based on the boat owned by the one asking.

Then much of what is discussed here is not at all boat dependent. One talks about how beautiful Vancouver is. Well, it's just as beautiful however you get there and every type boat goes there.

Then we might just happen to own a boat or boats totally irrelevant to discussions here. For instance, I like to go fast. I still want something faster. I don't know what though. But it needs to go more than 50 knots.

Appreciate all the responses, as s unexperienced boater I cannot debate with experienced boaters and am only trying to educate myself and still feel knowing the boat behind the response is helpful. Thanks to all, let's close this out. I'm good, forward I go. Kevin
ps I'm honored to get a response form wifeyb. My first.....I think
NewbieFromNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: 1988 Albin 40 Sundeck trawler
Why not?

I read with interest this thread, and about half-way through I started to wonder if I had the year of Encore listed in my profile. I clicked on a few links and found that I was one of the 'offenders'. I edited the profile to now reflect the year as well as the make and model of our trawler. (Fingers crossed that it will show up when I post this). I'm not ashamed of the year of our boat, I don't know why anyone would be, we're all quite fortunate to be able to 'simply mess around in boats'.
VJameslanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:03 PM   #37
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Appreciate all the responses, as s unexperienced boater I cannot debate with experienced boaters and am only trying to educate myself and still feel knowing the boat behind the response is helpful. Thanks to all, let's close this out. I'm good, forward I go. Kevin
ps I'm honored to get a response form wifeyb. My first.....I think
Wifey B: Ahhhhhhhhhhhh
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #38
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 43
I really don't want to put out too much information about my boat, the guy I stole it from might see it and come after me.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:48 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
I really don't want to put out too much information about my boat, the guy I stole it from might see it and come after me.
That was you!!!!
Old 05-19-2017, 08:54 PM   #40
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 43
Lou

Too late, I'm not giving it back.

Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote