Who's factory is it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimbo2015

Veteran Member
I read on Marlow Yachts web site that their boats are now cruising the oceans of the world. Along with all of our Grand Banks, Ocean Alexander and Selene owners

Does this mean they are all built in the same factory.:eek:

Just wondering does Marlow own the factory or just contracting their boats to built there.

I have a friend considering a Marlow 62 and figured I can get some info here to pass along.

He read the stuff on the lawsuit.

Anything else about this company he might want to know?

I believe Grand Banks are made in Singapore, Selene's in China and Ocean Alexander's in Taiwan. Sounds like marketing mumbo jumbo to me. :)

Marlow was a large Grand Banks dealer as well as Selene. I don't know about OA, but could have been a dealer for that also. They do have customers of all that get work done in their yard on Sneed Island.

I think moonstruck is correct. They are speaking to the other brand of boats that they have sold to their customers. Not that they built/build those boats.

Although GB's were built in Singapore, current builds are from Malaysia. They moved operations there a number of years ago.

Bill's right, Marlow was a big boat dealer and broker before he started having boats of his own built.

Grand Banks were originally built in Kowloon, Hong Kong. In the early 70s they acquired a new, larger yard in Singapore. For a few years they operated both yards sinultaneously before ending operations in Kowloon. More recently they opened a yard across the strait in Malaysia. For several years they operated both yards, with hulls being manufactured in Singapore and towed across the strait for completion in Malaysia. Finally, not all that long ago, they moved all operations to Malaysia.

I read on Marlow Yachts web site that their boats are now cruising the oceans of the world. Along with all of our Grand Banks, Ocean Alexander and Selene owners

Does this mean they are all built in the same factory.:eek:

Just wondering does Marlow own the factory or just contracting their boats to built there.

I have a friend considering a Marlow 62 and figured I can get some info here to pass along.

He read the stuff on the lawsuit.

Anything else about this company he might want to know?

Back to your original questions. No, they are not built in the same factory and there are no current connections. Marlow is built at Norsemen Shipyard. Not owned by Marlow. Like many situations in China, a long time relationship between builder and shipyard.

He's read the details of the lawsuit and then you ask if anything else he wants to know? Well, if he's talking a new boat and reading that doesn't scare him away there's nothing that will. The main thing then he'd want is to have everything reviewed by a good attorney and understand that you're buying from one entity that probably has no assets, they're buying from another (both owned by same people) and then they're having built by another.

Marlow has built good boats. Marlow has built awful boats. 62' is in the range of their better boats but David is always tinkering and so because one is good or bad doesn't mean the next will be the same. I would not accept a new boat from them or any builder without it being contingent on survey. As to a used boat, I'd be far more comfortable since you wouldn't be getting involved in a myriad of legal entities, you could sea trial the exact boat, and have it surveyed. The reasons people give for buying used instead of new, apply to Marlow in triplicate.

One thing to look at is how many of a design quickly hit the used market. For instance, all three 97's they built did, a reflection on the problems with the 97. I don't know how many 62's have been built but no used ones on the market so that's a good sign that no one got one and immediately decided to dump it.

I personally would never order a new boat from Marlow, but many people have over the years and quite a few have been happy with their purchase. I think some of the layouts and designs are extremely good. We found ourselves immediately attracted to Marlow. If it wasn't for what we then learned about the company, we would have purchased a 57 or 61 as a loop boat. The 62 is simply his reincarnation of the 61. If it delivers on it promises of a foot more beam, 4 inches less draft, 5% more speed, 10% more efficiency all with the same engines, then great. It does seem to me to gain all that though something had to be given up and they say not.

They built 3 62's & 6 66's to date they claim.:rolleyes:

Yes...not that I'd buy their claims, but at least none of those are on Yachtworld yet. Of the 97's, two of the three are still on the used market. The third was at one time. But Kakawi, the subject of the litigation, and Irish Rover are both listed.

It's a bit hard I'd imagine to sell a boat that's been subject of a suit regarding it's quality as Kakawi has been. Obviously, they'd now say "she has now had all warranty issues addressed". She may have. I don't know. I do know a lot of money was spent trying. The next owner may be getting a great deal and may not be promised certifications and range and other things it doesn't have, plus can purchase subject to survey.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom