Old 03-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #41

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Originally Posted by Sceptic View Post
I have never come across a boat surveyor I thought was worth employing, regardless of who was paying him or her.

While I am not now, or likely ever again to be in the boat buying market, I surveyed the little DeFever myself before making a offer to the seller.

I spoke with the underwriters at BoatUS, a managing general agency For CIGNA, and they issued port risk insurance.

3 years later I submitted 40,000 USD of invoices for materials I had bought, and they issued a full all risk yacht policy from Brownsville TX to Eastport ME, with normal berthing behind our house in Central Fl. No surveyor involved.

Flame away.

No flame; Boat US will pay per the policy wording should there be a claim. I'd be taking a very close look at the policy before you have a loss.

The usual requirement for an All Risk, Agreed Value policy is that yacht underwriting requires a survey when a vessel is older that 10 years old and over 27' in length. The survey is commissioned by the buyer, and almost always requires a haulout.

Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Good points Marin and Walt. I have had some folks say I don't need surveys, but if I want to protect myself as a buyer, then I get the surveys done.
Couldn't agree more.

Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote