Who has a black or dark hull?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, looks really nice. While the comments re darker colours fading are valid, it applies more to original gel-coats then 2 pack paint finishes, so I don't think it will be all that much of an issue. I once owned a yacht painted 2 pack red, and it outlasted the original gel-coat red by many years before showing any fading.

I just found a white hull (same model) of my boat and put the photos side x side for a comparison.

What do you think guys? Forget about fading, maintenance, paint or gel-coat. I want to know which one LOOKS better. Don't worry about your answer. This is a "marketing" question. :thumbsup:* :thumbsdown:

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Sunday 26th of June 2011 05:40:17 PM

Up close I like the blue if it's in perfect condition like yours Walt but otherwise I prefer the white. Actually I like off white, beige or any color that's real light and bright. From a distance all the dark hull yachts look like old fish boats, tug boats or other work boats. Another element here is that w a white house and dark hull the boat looks longer and lower and that almost always looks better. The 10" dark part of the top of the hull on Willy help it look longer and lower in the same way. I think the 2 tone treatment always gives the vehicle a deluxe look too.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Sunday 26th of June 2011 06:31:49 PM

nomadwilly wrote:
...*From a distance all the dark hull yachts look like old fish boats, tug boats or other work boats. ...
*Isn't that the idea?* In my marina, most every boat is white with some blue canvas: very popular but so boring!

img_53776_0_d24b0de3e879d7c6aab159d2e98f3874.jpg

img_53776_1_64d9cbfaa78727a654be1a3e1e236251.jpg

-- Edited by markpierce on Sunday 26th of June 2011 07:10:11 PM

SeaHorse II wrote:
I just found a white hull (same model) of my boat and put the photos side x side for a comparison.
*Walt, it is plain to see your dark-hulled boat is much more beautiful!

SeaHorse II wrote:

What do you think guys? Forget about fading, maintenance, paint or gel-coat. I want to know which one LOOKS better. Don't worry about your answer. This is a "marketing" question. :thumbsup:* :thumbsdown:

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Sunday 26th of June 2011 05:40:17 PM
*Walt, it is no contest.* Hands down it is the dark hull, and that is a totally unbiased opinion.* So that should settle it!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Moonstruck wrote:
*Walt, it is no contest.* Hands down it is the dark hull, and that is a totally unbiased opinion.* So that should settle it!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
******* Thanks Don & Mark....I knew I could count on you two for a completely "objective"

******* opinion. I must say, however, that I really like the paint job on "Willy."* Why?

******* As mark said...it's not boring! In fact it's unique!

****** Now I know that "everyone" on this Forum loves their boat but I am biased towards

****** dark hulls and boats that are unique in their look.

****** Commence with the brick throwing!* :peace:

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Sunday 26th of June 2011 08:03:54 PM

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Sunday 26th of June 2011 08:08:39 PM

Attachments

• coot.jpg
    coot.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 51
  • moonstruck.jpg
    moonstruck.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 68
  • willy.jpg
    willy.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 49
Love the white Gourmet Cruiser. Purity of color in motion. :smile:

No, Walt & Mark, you are right, all white is boring, and when I had Lotus's hull re-sprayed late last year, I agonised over going for a colour, but as the 2iC and I could not agree on which colour, and would have been a bit more expensive, requiring an extra coat to cover the white, added to the heat & fading issue, and she was already white, I took the line of least resistance....but...blood red would look nice...or maybe dark green...or navy blue...or maybe Nordhavn grey ...?...I dunno...

-- Edited by Peter B on Sunday 26th of June 2011 09:42:43 PM

dwhatty wrote:
******* LOL....* Right on! LOL...* I thought you would respond before this!* LOL...* in fact, I made a bet with my wife on the position you would take and loss 5 bucks. LOL

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Sunday 26th of June 2011 10:53:12 PM

Here's two dark hulls. Thec one on the right is for sale for 95K. It needs some stripes or something to break up all that blue. Many comercial boats have dark hulls like these in Petersburg.

Attachments

• sth71649.jpg
    sth71649.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 46
  • sth71647.jpg
    sth71647.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 55
SeaHorse II wrote:dwhatty wrote:
******* LOL....* Right on! LOL...* I thought you would respond before this!* LOL...* in fact, I made a bet with my wife on the position you would take and loss 5 bucks. LOL

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Sunday 26th of June 2011 10:53:12 PM

*Happy to be so predictable and win you a bet. Would have responded earlieir but I've spent the last two days getting intimate with our bow thruster (gear oil leak into bilge, replaced shaft seal), replacing galley sink hose (burst; limited access + contortions=frustration), generator not producing DC battery charging (?) and then miles of driving to help my wife out with a late night fund raiser for her tree hugger group.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom