Old 04-06-2016, 05:41 PM   #21
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Here are a couple of pages from one of my Dad's old books of boat plans. As far as I know he never did build any of them. I did build the 8' dinghy when I was about 17, some 50 yrs ago, I used it for fishing in the bayous. Lots of interesting information on how boats were being built in 1941, articles on "recanvasing old boats", building a steam box, riveting etc. The 18' Fast Cruiser uses inboard engine 5 to 20 HP, 17 mph with the 20 HP version
Attached Thumbnails
Build a Boat Pop Mech 1941.jpg   Build a Boat Pop Mech 1941 Index.jpg  
Old 04-06-2016, 05:51 PM   #22

City: Sandusky
Does getting ready to build a boat count? Here is a pic of the inside of the structure we put up to start the project. Sorry about being sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
P1090119.jpg  
vonovik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:23 AM   #23

City: Kasilof Alaska
HopCar,
I built from their plans. I have a number of their plans and I am pleased with all of them. Also their builders forum is really helpful and friendly. That make a huge difference.
David
DNT99611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:44 AM   #24
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonovik View Post
Does getting ready to build a boat count? Here is a pic of the inside of the structure we put up to start the project. Sorry about being sideways.
That's big; what are you going to build?
Old 04-07-2016, 06:47 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
That's big; what are you going to build?
Hello Peter,

We are planing a build very similar to Conall63's boat.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...est-25433.html

I have been following his blog for years and last spring took a trip to Ohio to to meet him and see the boat. Very impressive and what a genuinely nice guy.

Jim
Old 04-07-2016, 07:03 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Hello Peter,

We are planing a build very similar to Conall63's boat.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...est-25433.html

I have been following his blog for years and last spring took a trip to Ohio to to meet him and see the boat. Very impressive and what a genuinely nice guy.

Jim
Is that the Bruce Roberts TY43'?

Very pretty boat: Bruce is a very talented designer.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:11 AM   #27

"Is that the Bruce Roberts TY43?"

Yes it is. With Bruce's help we have made a few modifications.

Jim
Old 04-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
"Is that the Bruce Roberts TY43?"

Yes it is. With Bruce's help we have made a few modifications.

Jim
I built a 60' steel boat some years ago, so I've got an idea of the work load; I enjoyed every minute of it. Its surprising how quickly the frames and plating goes up , then its hours and hours of welding . very rewarding and none of that horrid epoxy gloop and plywood to deal with.

I'm looking for a smaller steel project of about 30-35' range, so I'll be looking forward to your build posts here on TF!
Old 04-07-2016, 10:36 AM   #29
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
You all know that I'm of the opinion that all anchors are too small, the wrong kind and you don't have enough chain.

All guns are too small, the wrong kind and you don't have enough ammunition.

I have a new rule that applies to boat builders.
Your clamps are too small, the wrong kind and you don't have enough.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
I built a 60' steel boat some years ago, so I've got an idea of the work load; I enjoyed every minute of it. Its surprising how quickly the frames and plating goes up , then its hours and hours of welding . very rewarding and none of that horrid epoxy gloop and plywood to deal with.

I'm looking for a smaller steel project of about 30-35' range, so I'll be looking forward to your build posts here on TF!
Peter,

I would love to see some photos of your build. Also looking at your figures of 30' to 35' project.....that would work out to be about 2/3 of my build which I would be willing to let you help me with. Just PM me when you want get picked up at the airport.

Jim
Old 04-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
You all know that I'm of the opinion that all anchors are too small, the wrong kind and you don't have enough chain.

All guns are too small, the wrong kind and you don't have enough ammunition.

I have a new rule that applies to boat builders.
Your clamps are too small, the wrong kind and you don't have enough.
HopCar,

Anchors I will not talk about.

I will disagree on all the gun stuff.

But the clamps, funny you should bring that up. Just the other day I was looking at my box of clamps thinking..... I need bigger clamps, more of a selection and just plain don't have enough.

So if we just give you the anchor plus the clamps that's 2/3. Weird how that number keeps coming up. So this is for you!

Jim
Old 04-08-2016, 10:22 AM   #32
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I built a kit boat in 1951 when I was 12. A 28lb canvas covered kayak made w spruce strips. It was a hard chine affair w a rather large open cockpit much like a "Folboat". It was a "Deadham" kit kayak. Probably had 2000 copper tacks to fasten the canvas. Aircraft "dope" and paint on the canvas. Paddled it a lot off the beach on Camano Is WA.

In college I designed a boat that was intended to be level running, fuel efficient and soft riding like the new (then) deep V hulls. Called it the Easy Rider re it's design intent before the movie of the same name.
Built her in the Queen Charlotte Islands in 1972. I was a shop teacher then and got permission to build the Rider in the school shop. I worked on design, engineering and work plans while my students and I assembled the Rider during "construction" class. Launched w a big boom truck over the side of a bridge. Gave each student a ride out on the waves of the bar where Masset Inlet meets Dixon Entrance.

The boat (28' X 9') was very smooth riding, (for a very light boat) seaworthy, and w almost magical directional stability. Very accurate course changes could be made w equally accurate returns. On very large waves running beam to seas sliding sideways instead of capsizing by chine tripping was an unexpected plus especially when my life was in danger .. and in this way it was once in bad weather in Dixon Entrance.

The Easy Rider was a great boat as I designed her but not of much for general use as she was very dependent on very light displacement. Put much weight in her and performance went south fast. As I ran her w a 55hp Johnson 3 cyl. OB she cruised at 12-13 knots. Took her to Juneau where I lived for a few years and a bit later ran her down to WA state as part of a move. Would rather not tell you how she came to an end.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71822.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #33
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I built dozens of kit boats when I was 10-12 years old. Battleships, destroyers, submarines, etc. My room was full of them and my mother refused to dust them.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #34
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
...Not from a kit but from scratch. I built an Amigo from Glen-L back in 1977. That boat already had 3 owners and keeps sailing on weekends.
Then came a Big Hunk dory in 1984. That one also fishes until today. All wooden boats with epoxy glue. reliable, easy to build and fun to cruise. My first scare in a boat of my own was in the Big Hunk called Sstressless. From 4:00 PM to 6 AM, 14 hours 35 miles offshore with a 90 hp Mariner that did not wanted to start, out of VHF reach, and very few fresh water, and visibility almost zero due to intense rain.
Mama sold the boat a month after!
Old 04-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #35

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
I never finished the sailing rig portion, but I built a V-10 from bateau.com.

This thread reminds me that I should finish it up and teach my daughter to sail in it

mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote