Old 11-29-2016, 06:40 AM   #1

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
Hazardous Barnacles in Florida?

We're talking to a yard in FL about hauling for zincs, etc. They said we have to pay for a diver to survey the bottom first because it is a FL law that barnacles must be treated as hazardous waste once out of the water. It's OK to scrape them off in the slip. They said this is to protect us from a bill for $thousands if we have a significant build up. They have asked every agency for the rational and no one seems to know. Has anyone else heard of this?
Old 11-29-2016, 06:50 AM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
We're talking to a yard in FL about hauling for zincs, etc. They said we have to pay for a diver to survey the bottom first because it is a FL law that barnacles must be treated as hazardous waste once out of the water. It's OK to scrape them off in the slip. They said this is to protect us from a bill for $thousands if we have a significant build up. They have asked every agency for the rational and no one seems to know. Has anyone else heard of this?
Have had many a haul out - the last this past February.

Never heard of such a thing. I would call another yard and ask them.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:55 AM   #3

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
Have hauled in ft Lauderdale ( playboy marine) and when in the sling they power wash the hull. If you have alot of barnacles,growth they may charge you for scraping the bottom. All water from the wash is run thru a cleaning machine as they don't want it to go into the water per environment is laws. Never heard of hazardous barnacles,but if your bottom is covered with them then maybe a diver is called for.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:16 AM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Can only think of 2 things...

One, they will be mixed with bottom paint and thus hazardous because of the unknown paint variety (yes you know msybe, but they dont).

Or two.....they start decomposing and are full of marine micro organisms that could be nothing all the way up to flesh eating bacteria (stretch, but you know.... )......if it were this, I would think it would be called bio hazard and cost even more.

Bottom line, haven't heard of it, but a bunch of new regs are affecting marinas all over and the time lines for going into effect sometimes are affected only by marina changes or operations.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:38 AM   #5
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
You might just call another marina and see if they will haul the boat without an inspection by a diver.

I would think scraping the barnacles off over a tarp and collecting them would be more friendly to the environment.

And lastly, if you have to pay a diver, why not just have him replace the anodes and leave the boat in the water?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:44 AM   #6
Guru

Maybe like dredge spoils.

Oil and other things stirred up by dredging is not considered a spill.....it's already in the water. (Of course unless that obscure law was changed and not advertised like the original one)

So as long as it came from the water and goes right back in...no harm no foul.

But I would definitely call around as others have pointed out as my home marina does things and does't do things that other marinas claim are "law".

As with all things....always exceptions.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #7
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Lived in FL most of my life and never heard of such a law. It doesn't seem to pass the smell test as thousands and thousands of boats are lifted out of the water and placed on racks almost daily. Now it may be possible that a local jurisdiction passed such a law but I doubt it. It is probably marina policy to protect the life of the lift harness. Barnacles can get quite large and sharp but hasn't your boat been in transit?
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:19 AM   #8

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
Moved here in 2000, never heard of any such rule. Sounds like a scam
. John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #9
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
The diver is he attached to the yard ? Son of the owner? I've become a little cynical as I age about this type of stuff. I'd definitely be checking other yards for their rules.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:34 AM   #10
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
It's been the law here in California for years. Maybe it doesn't make a lot of sense, but excessive fouling growth must be handled and disposed of as hazardous waste by the yard. If they suspect a boat to be very foul, the yard will frequently advise a boat owner to have his hull cleaned prior to a haulout.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #11
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
It's been the law here in California for years. Maybe it doesn't make a lot of sense, but excessive fouling growth must be handled and disposed of as hazardous waste by the yard. If they suspect a boat to be very foul, the yard will frequently advise a boat owner to have his hull cleaned prior to a haulout.
Lawmakers have all the answers, don't they.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Maybe a back door law for marinas.....meaning there is no law for scraping the banacles off...but the law make kick in that they can't be treated as garbage or placed in a dumpster for overland transport.

That may be the resistance at one or some marinas and not others who just shovel them back i or the dumpster companies/landfills in their areas don't look too closely.

The company I work for occasionally is a hazmat transporter and the guy who has the state certificate for hazmat transporting lost his hair a long time ago pulling it out....
Old 11-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #13
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Lawmakers have all the answers, don't they.
The ones in Hotel CA do. Where else would they think of regulating cow farts???

California regulates cow farts | New York Post
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:35 AM   #14
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
What he said. ^
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #15
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
The diver is he attached to the yard ? Son of the owner? I've become a little cynical as I age about this type of stuff. I'd definitely be checking other yards for their rules.

Personally I think the yard was doing you a favor.

Hire a diver for $50-$100 to clean your bottom first, or we have might have to charge you a lot more in environmental fees.

They could have suggested nothing and pocket the fee.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:19 PM   #16
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I had oysters on the bottom last haul and some people at the marine were distraught.
Basically I was being cruel for leaving them on the gravel under the boat.
So after I scraped them off, I threw them back into the water, where they will die since they lost their attachment and will sink into the mud. This however pleased several boat owners at the marina. I kid you not.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I had oysters on the bottom last haul and some people at the marine were distraught.
Basically I was being cruel for leaving them on the gravel under the boat.
So after I scraped them off, I threw them back into the water, where they will die since they lost their attachment and will sink into the mud. This however pleased several boat owners at the marina. I kid you not.
Another reason to clean the bottom before hauling as you could have actually been ticketed in that situation.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #18

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
It funny to me that the yards make you put a tarp under the boat if you sand,scrap or do any bottom work. Then when done you take that tarp full of toxic stuff and put it in the same dumpster that all trash goes into.! The truck comes and takes it to the landfill or incinerator. So much for environmental responsibility???!.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:16 PM   #19

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
How bad is the growth? When was the bottom last cleaned?
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:43 PM   #20

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
in futur they will class you part of marine park if you have to much life under your boat and he will be forbidden to clean you bottom !!!!

we walk on head on this planet
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote