who builds new boats ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ctbarbarian

Veteran Member
Who builds new Trawlers in the 34 to 40ft range?

I've been lurking around and do not see anybody that
builds new boats.

What would be the largest boat trailerable within
reason?

Lots of new "trawlers" in that size range. In the PNW we have the tug builders...American Tug and Nordic Tug in your size range, and Ranger Tug a bit smaller (and trailerable). Mainship is now known as Marlow Pilot. Then there's Helmsman and North Pacific, both distributed by PNW based companies and built in Asia.

Beam is often the limiting factor in trailerability. Over 8'6" requires permits, over 10' requires a bunch more permits. A 10' beam is pretty limiting in terms of interior space.

American Tugs
Nordic Tugs
Ranger Tugs
Rosborough
Meridian
Mainship/Marlow Pilot
Kadey Krogen
Nordhavn
Sabre
Carver
Seahorse
Helmsman

That list is just a start as I'm sure that's only a small percentage.

Seahorse Marine builds the Coot in that size range but not exactly trailer friendly.

C-dory and Ranger Tugs build the largest trailerable boats IMO. Neither of which fit most folks "newer to the game" definition as "trawlers". Sea Ray are worth looking at in that size range for comparison. Although you did not ask price new is typically in the $10,000 per foot range. Enjoy the hunt.

I can't help much with the first question. Yes, many boat builders are no longer in business.

For your second question- depends on what reasonable means.

To trailer a boat with a normal tow vehicle like a 1/2 ton pickup or large SUV and do it with no over width permits then you are limited to about 24' and 8-1/2' beam and about 5,000 lbs displacement. Lots of builders make boats in this range: Rosborough, C Dory and Ranger Tugs.

If permits are ok and you have a full 1 ton or larger pickup, then 30' is possible. A Mainship Pilot 30 weighs about 12,000 lbs loaded and has a beam of about 11'. Or a Nordic Tug 26 is a little smaller at 8,000 lbs and 9' beam. The Mainship will take a triple axle trailer to move it and a total tow weight of about 15,000 lbs. That will definitely require a 1+ ton dualy to tow it safely. The Nordic Tug probably will have a tow weight of 10,000 lbs and can be pulled with a 3/4 ton pickup.

David

Lots of new boats out there. It all depends on the type of boat you are looking for. If I was in the market for a new trailerable boat I would be looking at the Ranger Tugs. They have a 31' that does have a fly bridge which may be nice if you are on the East Coast and they have a package that has AC with a generator.

The boats aren't inexpensive but if you are looking for a decent boat that can cruise efficiently, comfortably, and still be moved to different cruising grounds it would be a good option. I see a lot of them around the PNW and the owners all seem to be ridiculously happy with their boats.

Not to my knowledge.

I don't think they ever did produce. They bought and branded yachts from various Taiwanese and Chinese yacht builders up to the time the founder died and then pretty much fell apart. Lien Hwa and CHB were allegedly their usual suspects for manufacture.

I don't think they ever did produce. They bought and branded yachts from various Taiwanese and Chinese yacht builders up to the time the founder died and then pretty much fell apart. Lien Hwa and CHB were allegedly their usual suspects for manufacture.

I know they used many yards, but I don't think they are still in business was what I was saying.

One of our local builders builds boats in that size range. They aren't exactly trawlers, but can be run a trawler speeds.

Hinckley Yachts

There are several other builders that build to order, but they all build down east style boats.

Ellis Yachts, John Williams Company, Bass Harbor Boat.

All are a bit on the high price side.

The concept of trailer able and trawler don't mix well. Many trawlers are heavy and some deep draft. There are many light shallow planning and semiplaning boats that can be trailered some are referred to as pocket cruisers,trawlers or tugs. The OP has to decide what qualities he wants in a boat and what compromises he is willing to accept.

Our 26-foot Bounty New Moon is not new, not really a trawler, but is a heavy diesel-powered cruiser. She has traveled some 78,000 road miles by trailer, and 40,000 nm on the water, mostly on the Inside Passage. She cruises happily at 6 knots, or at 16-18.

TxSM7k42wBIgdANPMriPUYIVr9Atj-igYhSroetn5__bdZKlQ20tRdL8JsQUWx-S3zLYFnK4b7kFfQ=w2400-h1350-no

Loaded for a long summer cruise, she weighs nearly 12,000 lb on her triple-axle trailer. We tow her with a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel pickup. The combination works well, even in the mountains. I personally would not want to go wider or much heavier.

ORgYX5ANU_Hm-tN1EmY50huyyCtLWySpnKd3EyQu8KmlNDTlHI2NKyxTBz1So2A6dOCklKU8AAV5hg=w2400-h1350-no

Sea Sport Aleutian 2600 is built new, and roughly comparable.

As mentioned above, a 29-31-ish Ranger is towable with a 1-ton dually and permits.

P.S. New is nice, but meticulously maintained may be a fine choice.

Last edited:
Who builds new Trawlers in the 34 to 40ft range?

I've been lurking around and do not see anybody that
builds new boats.

What would be the largest boat trailerable within
reason?

In addition to the others already mentioned, Beneteau makes the 34 Swift Trawler

just my advise go beyond 30 ft and 15,000lb and 10 ft beam its like a commercial move not a recreational trailer situation. I would try to keep the boat under 10,000 lb and under 10ft beam. This often means you get closer to a camper boat than a trawler type boat. No problem with that unless someone aboard is expecting all the comforts of home. R Cooks 26 footer looks like a good upper limit compromise if you elect the trailer root.

Last edited:
just my advise go beyond 30 ft and 15,000lb and 10 ft beam its like a commercial move not a recreational trailer situation. I would try to keep the boat under 10,000 lb and under 10ft beam. This often means you get closer to a camper boat than a trawler type boat. No problem with that unless someone aboard is expecting all the comforts of home. R Cooks 26 footer looks like a good upper limit compromise if you elect the trailer root.

To me, there were two questions asked. First was 34-40'. Second was largest trailerable. I saw them as separate questions.

I wouldn't suggest trailering any 34-40' boat. That's transporting size, not trailering. Even if you own the transport rig, it's still a lot of work and permitting and licenses and perhaps pilot cars even. It's not like hooking up your 16' fishing boat behind your pickup truck.

American Tugs
Nordic Tugs
Ranger Tugs
Rosborough
Meridian
Mainship/Marlow Pilot
Kadey Krogen
Nordhavn
Sabre
Carver
Seahorse
Helmsman

That list is just a start as I'm sure that's only a small percentage.

Good list. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the smallest Krogen these days is a 44--unless they'll custom-build a 39. No Krogen is trailerable and the same holds true for Defevers--the smallest of which is a 45--still built by POCTA.

Good list. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the smallest Krogen these days is a 44--unless they'll custom-build a 39. No Krogen is trailerable and the same holds true for Defevers--the smallest of which is a 45--still built by POCTA.

I wasn't addressing trailerable at all. Saw that as a separate question. Smallest KK today is 44'. A lot of 39's still around.

Back
Top Bottom