Whether to teak or not. That is the question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teak or not?

• I love teak. Want it on my boat. Yes Yes Yes

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I lean toward teak but not having it wouldn't make me not buy

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I'm completely neutral on teak. Can take it or leave it. I'm the Switzerland of Teak Opinion

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I lean away from teak but just because a boat has it doesn't mean I won't buy it.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I hate teak. Never ever ever ever want a boat with it. No No No

Votes: 15 25.9%

• Total voters

BandB

Guru
Wifey B:

On the list of requirements thread I see so much negative toward teak and have seen in other threads so polling to get the pulse of the constituency.

Ditto on no exterior wood.

It belongs in the interior.

Last edited:
After having 50ft teak decks on our last sailboat we wanted no exterior teak. Unfortunately we found a trawler that was perfect in every way, except she had teak decks. So we're still caring for teak decks....

But it is much easier to maintain the trawlers deck without all the hardware the sailboat has getting in the way.

teak as an enhancement both in and out.
out; on the cap rail and as a deck edge 'racing stripe'
in; teak and holly flooring and teak on some (not all) bulkheads and cabinetry.

Teak in. Stainless and gel coat out.

Wifey: Darn, I should have noted exterior....that's where the maintenance is. Honestly, we don't find it's that much to maintain though.

Greetings,
Ms. WB. Teak decks (glued NOT screwed) for sure. GREAT non skid. Looks marvelous. Not hard to maintain if done regularly. Ditch the exterior trim for sure but deck the deck in teak.

If we were still in Alaska I'd say no outside wood.

But here in Washington w covered moorage I like it.
But not decks. It's too yachty anyway.

Teak decks are great for bare feet. Unlike the covered side decks and cockpit my foredeck is painted non slip,in summer it gets too hot to walk on.
But I could do without the teak cappings, a PITA to maintain.

This is how I take care of exterior teak. :devil:

DSCN0880.jpg

Ted

Teak for me. It makes all the difference. Not that much work to maintain really. I'm doing some more today.. and the next ... and the next.

I'm surprised the No No No are in the lead at present. Those folks probably like hospitals as well - they are also full of boring acres of unadorned white finish and miles of SS. Very sterile. :hide:

Last edited:
Be careful....what can be said about people who love teak can fill volumes written by highly experienced boaters too.....

Personally, I think teak and wood in general should be respected. That means keeping it inside out of the elements. :)

MC7.jpg

Ted

Joy and I just discussed this prior to me posting . I voted for teak . She brought up a good point . If we can start with new teak and maintain it from the beginning it's a yes yes for us . Old teak that has been neglected and needing restored , it depends on how bad it is . But we are under cover and just doing some sissy boating compared to most of you . Being a wood worker if it's too far gone it's easier for me to replace and varnish before the hardware goes on . It helps that I can get a decent price on teak .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 46
Wifey B: I really expected far less support for teak. Shocked that it's been relatively balanced as I had the impression it was generally disliked here.

I suspect teak is liked, the work involved not so much. It helps if you have the time to spare and find the work a bit therapeutic

My cap rail is fiberglass. Wash and wax like the rest of the boat. No special care needed. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1455593141.258632.jpg

1.25-inch-diameter stainless steel makes for a fine grasp.

Nice rails Mark.

And nice scuppers, green fenders, green lines, yellow roof, chrome horns and running light blinders. The white fender lines look tacky though. I can say that as mine are white. You should switch to black cuse they stand out against the dark green. Just mumbling Mark.

Last edited:
Eric, the fenders and their lines are brought aboard when underway, so not so tacky.

Al depends upon how much $$$$ a person has to spend.

It seems the more $ the more shine a boat has.

Personally, I don't have the resources to pay a yard crew to maintain bright work. And I certainly don't have the time to do it myself.

No and limited. Oil is better than polyurethane. (Except on the teak and holly)

Back
Top Bottom