View Poll Results: Teak or not?
I love teak. Want it on my boat. Yes Yes Yes 11 18.97%
I lean toward teak but not having it wouldn't make me not buy 12 20.69%
I'm completely neutral on teak. Can take it or leave it. I'm the Switzerland of Teak Opinion 4 6.90%
I lean away from teak but just because a boat has it doesn't mean I won't buy it. 16 27.59%
I hate teak. Never ever ever ever want a boat with it. No No No 15 25.86%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #41
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
And periodic cleaning of teak decking, for example, isn't the same as dealing with brightwork...

-Chris

Old 02-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #42
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Fair enough.

Not sure how old the boat is that you are maintaining, but clearly the work required increases as the teak deck ages. Most here aren't starting with a new teak deck and their experience is with 10 to 30 year old teak and possibly poorly done applications. Failure of the application may take more than a decade to materialize.

Ted
Wifey B: Our oldest are only 3.5 years old. However, I've been on the same boat that was 12-14 years old and the teak looked great and wasn't requiring a lot of extra maintenance. We did talk to those maintaining the charters before we bought. I'm thinking there are many factors including original application, how cared for over the years, and how treated. If buying used, I would very much judge on an individual basis. There are definitely more teak decks with issues although a lot of decks period with issues of water and deterioration. We saw a GB with teak sitting at a marina with at least six inches of water in it and it was dirty dirty dirty water so methinks had been there a while. No freaking way one would want to touch it.

I'm also basing my views on a limited number of boat brands using a limited number of teak suppliers. The vast majority of US built boats use Teakdecking Systems. Their decks are all pre-manufactured by Teakdecking so no laying of individual planks and stuff. The European boats seem similarly done. I don't know anything about Asian builders' applications or teak suppliers. But I think that's another change maybe vs. old is the whole way of manufacturing and laying.

So, I think teak maybe comes with a humongous caveat. Not inherently a problem but often is for a number of reasons.

Now, my poor little brain is hurting from all this serious crap. Back to having fun and maybe buying some art.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:20 PM   #43
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
And periodic cleaning of teak decking, for example, isn't the same as dealing with brightwork...

-Chris
Wifey B: I agree there. We've got no teak rails or gunwales. Hearing you guys, I'm glad. We have teak tables but they're just like dealing with any table and they're protected.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:01 PM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Assumed the poll related to exterior teak. Inside teak is fine. The new boat market has clearly shifted away from exterior teak.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:14 PM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
30 year old teak decks scare me, but I certainly would consider a boat with a new teak deck, especially if it was layed without using 1000 screws.
Ah yes, the death of 1000 screws. Beware the leaking teak deck. Left to itself it can kill your boat, it has to be fixed.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #46
Guru

City: Trenton
In general, I'm for it.

alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote