Old 01-05-2019, 05:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: La Clayette
Where's the best place to sell a trawler?

Hi Guys,
We've had our Diesel Duck on the market for a little while now but because she's laid up in Europe, she's attracted little interest. (Europeans are not into trawlers - yet). So if we were to bring her across to the East coast, where would the ideal location be and can anybody recommend a broker who would do more than just add her to a listings page.
For info: we once had her listed with an agent in Florida but that was an un-mitigated disaster, so once bitten. I'm a bit wary of Florida, big place that it is.
Looking forward to your comments.

P.S. Destiny Website – Diary - for anybody interested right now.

Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:00 AM   #2

City: New York
Jeff Merrill seems like an active guy, no personal experience but I have heard good things about him..I love your boat, if you are serious about bringing it over, the timing might work out..PM me, Gene.

Genecop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:06 AM   #3

City: New York
Also the script is difficult to read, I missed the asking price,,
Genecop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Stockbridge,Vt - Punta Gorda,Fla.
Vessel Name: Satori
Vessel Model: 1984 34 Mainship
With a 6 foot draft, Florida might not be the best place to market her...
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:41 AM   #5
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny View Post
Hi Guys,
We've had our Diesel Duck on the market for a little while now but because she's laid up in Europe, she's attracted little interest. (Europeans are not into trawlers - yet). So if we were to bring her across to the East coast, where would the ideal location be and can anybody recommend a broker who would do more than just add her to a listings page.
For info: we once had her listed with an agent in Florida but that was an un-mitigated disaster, so once bitten. I'm a bit wary of Florida, big place that it is.

P.S. Destiny Website – Diary - for anybody interested right now.
I really don't think the markets are that different at a significant level

First off, you have VAT paid, which is worth 20% of you're asking price.
Even if it was no cost to get it to east coast , you can not recoup that 20%.

Second, it's no walk in the park to get it across the ocean.

Third, it's more likely, you would find a non-European buyer, who wants it in Europe for a while before they bring it home.

Lastly, the market is the market.
It's just as likely to sit in North America for a.m extended time even after you took a big financial hit.

My advice would be to be patient, advertise it and market it on Yachtworld and look for an American buyer who wants to spend time in Europe.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:55 AM   #6

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny View Post
Hi Guys,

P.S. Destiny Website Diary - for anybody interested right now.
Advertise it here!!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:57 AM   #7
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
I think where you move the boat to should be based as much on the broker that you select than anything else.

Trawlers are listed everywhere up and down the east coast but Florida, surprisingly has the most listings on Yachtworld for "trawlers" than any other state- 300 vs 100 for Maryland (Annapolis- the sailing capital of the US) and 65 for S Carolina (Charleston).

So a Florida broker and a Florida location might be best. Ask for broker recommendations here as well as research brokers and their listings on Yachtworld to find one who knows trawlers.

But the Diesel Duck is a cult boat and anyone seriously interested would travel anywhere on the east coast to look at yours, so concentrate on the broker first and go with his location.

Edit: The previous postings note the 20% VAT advantage for a European sale. That is a big, big plus that would be lost to anyone who wanted to keep the boat in the US if you moved it here. If I were an American who was in the market for a trawler that I could base in Europe, I would travel to wherever to see it.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #8
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Seems more like a west coast boat maybe, because of the deep draft?

I second the recommendation for Jeff Merrill. He seems to like and understand the Duck boats and has a few listed.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genecop View Post
Also the script is difficult to read, I missed the asking price,,
Asking price is 295K but would accept more.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:05 AM   #10
Guru

City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genecop View Post
Jeff Merrill seems like an active guy, no personal experience but I have heard good things about him..I love your boat, if you are serious about bringing it over, the timing might work out..PM me, Gene.
+1 for Jeff, long time friend and very active on the trawler sales. JMYS.com and he will help you. Has sold a couple DDs,
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:54 AM   #11
FF
Guru

I would list in the NE USA .

There are more boats listed in FL because as God's Waiting Room it is a graveyard for used boats.

There are fewer listings in Annapolis as more get sold to the high paid gov employees that are younger and have good credit ratings.

A few adventurous folks have made a retirement living by purchasing nice but cosmetically filthy boats and running one North every year.

I estimate the difference in selling (not asking) price to be about 25% less in FL.

A look in Soundings for the NE , and Florida Mariner should show the price difference.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:40 AM   #12

City: Montreal
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: Shopping for one ;-)
Hi,

I think you should at least change your font style on your ad. It's virtually impossible to read. She's a beauty though :-)
RichardM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:55 AM   #13
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
If seriously thinking of bringing to NA, you might consider getting the electrics changed from 50 to 60 HZ before you market it. Also, the picture may be distorted but the exhaust elbow water addition point seems on the uphill side. After 4000 hours it may be worth changing out next time you service the raw water cooling system.

Nice boat, well equipped and for those considering a proven blue water vessel it should be a contender. Heating and AC systems (if any) were hard to find though due to script.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Hi,

I think you should at least change your font style on your ad. It's virtually impossible to read. She's a beauty though :-)
I'm apologise for the font -it's something new that appears to change the font on iPads and iPhones but is normal (and readable) on PC's and macbooks. The entire website seems to suffer from the same affliction and I'll have to address the problem when I return from travelling. If you have the option take a look on a PC and let me know if there is still a problem.

http://www.boatshop24.com/en/seahors...ilboat/1286342 might help
Old 01-06-2019, 10:56 AM   #15
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
It is quite readable on a Windows 10 PC. I suspect the problem on an iPad is how the iPad processes the font that is set up on your website. If you can change it on your website to a traditional font like Arial or similar then it would be processed normally on an iPad.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:57 AM   #16
Guru

City: Port Angeles, WA
Vessel Name: Irene
I have noticed that steel boats, in North America, seem to be slow sellers. For example, the beautiful Vripak (I believe) formerly at Bradford; the gorgeous DD that Jeff Merril has listed; and a very sharp Kristen formerly at AAA Yachtfinders in Washington.

I agree that it is a great and capable boat, there is simply a limited group looking in that area. I believe that moving her to North America will incur significant expense, with no appreciable change in traffic.

Best Wishes
Old 01-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #17

City: PDX
Vessel Name: Lady Anne
Vessel Model: GB 52 Europa
Steel boats are well accepted in Northern Europe, less so in the US. VAT paid is a big plus and your electrical system is set up for 220V/50Hz. Conversion to 120V/60Hz can be a significant cost. All said, I'd think selling it in Europe would be your best bet.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:20 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsholz View Post
Steel boats are well accepted in Northern Europe, less so in the US. VAT paid is a big plus and your electrical system is set up for 220V/50Hz. Conversion to 120V/60Hz can be a significant cost. All said, I'd think selling it in Europe would be your best bet.
She was originally 120V/60Hz and I converted her to 220V - easy to swap back.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:19 AM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
While it may be my imagination, I seem to see more steel boats in the mid Atlantic and North, the Great Lakes, and I would imagine the PNW. Would definitely want to pick an area where they are more common. Another consideration for USA market is how it is equipped with heat and air conditioning. Having air conditioning and the required size generator would be a must to sell it in the Southern USA.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:31 PM   #20

City: Houston
Please find a way to get it on Yachtworld. Ive been shopping Ducks for 6 months and had no idea your boat existed. Just speaking for myself as US boater I would leave it in Europe but upgrade your marketing. Its perfect to buy and cruise the Med for awhile before returning to the US.
Good luck

Gbeckner is offline   Reply With Quote