Old 03-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Where is your "home" port and tell us a little about it..

I see a lot of new "faces" on here and I thought how cool it would be to share why we like our home port. Include pictures if you can.
I hail from Biloxi Mississippi and we have several barrier islands, lots of rivers and marsh lands, tons of red necks and great weather 11.5 months out of the year.

This picture is one of the 1000's of oil rigs in the northern gom, gulf of mexico.

This is the Biloxi river and surrounding marshes.

We are cleaning a couple of days catch after fishing a tournament.

swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Gloucester, MA - Oldest fishing port in the country - 1632.

goodmorninggloucester.com

twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #3

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Send a message via Skype™ to mattkab
I love these threads.
We're in South Puget Sound, Washington State.
Here's a few picts:

Our boat tied up in her slip the first time:

My wife, daughter, and dog spotting porpoises:

View from the helm heading home:

Our old Bayliner anchored just a few yards offshore in south Puget Sound
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Houma, Louisiana,"Tropical Harbor" which is a "Dockominium" type development. about 20 condos each with a slip, about 18'X60'. Most of the condo owners don't have boats, some lease their slips. I live in Thibodaux, about 20 miles away. The harbor is up a canal about 1/4 mile from GICW mile 59, West of Harvey Lock, New Orleans.
Steve W.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gumbo slip 008.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	16874  
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
San Diego, CA
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SeaHorse Port.jpg
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	16878   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0174.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	16879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0192.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	16880   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07060.jpg
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	16881  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Krogen Manatee 36 "Bucky", & Larry & Eva in Key Biscayne, FL. Here is a sunrise at our last house and a sunset on the water.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sunset.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	16883   Click image for larger version

Name:	sunrise at dock.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	16884  
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Lake Simcoe was formed by glacial meltwater and is southern Ontario's largest interior lake.
Itís length is 48 klm and width is 29 klm, it's maximum depth is 136 ft.It's east and west sides are eskers(coarse gravel ridges ) and shores are drumlin hills formed by a mix of granite, sand and gravel deposits left by the retreating glaciers.

For more than 200 years Lake Simcoe was the most important waterway in the history of Ontario.Prior to 1793 they're were no roads, travel in Canada was either on the Great lakes, the St. Lawrence or the Ottawa and French rivers, but when John Graves Simcoe became Upper Canada's 1st Lieutenant Governor he wanted a shorter and safer route through to the interior.
By 1797 he had Yonge St. built to connect York to Holland Landing to connect to Lake Simcoe.
The North West company and others set up several fur trading posts around the Lake.
When the Americans invaded in 1812 this new route played a pivotal role in transporting troops and supplies to keep the country from falling into American hands.
By 1820 land grants were given to war veterans to settle around Lake Simcoe's shores.
Farming, fishing, logging, quarrying and draining swamps became the livelihoods of many of the settlers.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 009.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	16885  
Old 03-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Stuart
Vessel Name: Caretta
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Sedan
My home port is Pirates Cove in Port Salerno, FL. A nice little resort and marina just off the ICW. The people here are great, really friendly and helpful. Most here have Sport Fishers, but there are a few trawlers. I meet lots of folks that stop for a day or two, then continue on their journeys. It can get pretty busy, especially during the fishing tournaments, but the excitement on occasion keeps ya young! Between the Resort here and the Hinckley yard across the way, you get to see some pretty amazing boats come and go! ...and the gals that come back from photo shoots in the Bahamas...well ya just gotta love south Florida!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Caretta 4.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	16887   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1273sml.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	16888   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1271sml.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	16889  
MYMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #9

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
We're in Philadelphia, on the Delaware River. fresh water, close to home and within a couple hours cruise to the Cheaspeake for great cruising, the Delaware Bay for great fishing. A few minutes for Penns Landing and South Street for any kind of restaurant you can think of; Then 5 minutes to the Back Channel, drop the hook and it feels like you're a million miles away![ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	8-11 to 8-16-08 Chesapeake Trip 055.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	16890[/ATTACH]

John
390 Mainship
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Penns Landing 7-12 002.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	16886  
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
Guru

MYMT, A quick (maybe) off topic question. In your avatar you describe your MT as a "sedan". I used to think that meant no flybridge, but this is not the first time I`ve seen a boat with flybridge called a sedan. I`ve even seen boats with flybridges called "convertibles",and have no idea what that means. Any thoughts? Not critical,just curious.
I`m ok with this becoming a separate thread, though not sure it`s that important.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Our home port for our boat in Tsehum Harbour, Sidney BC Canada. On the edge of the Canadian Gulf Islands, just north of the American San Juan Islands in the Pacific Northwest (jokingly called "Gods Country" by those who boat here). For pictures please visit our website at www.rochepoint.ca. There are also photos north to Desolation Sound, our second favorite cruising ground when time from work allows.
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
We dock "Adagio" in Toms River NJ, at the heart of the Jersey Shore.

Toms River is really an arm of the Barnegat Bay, which is a highly used body of water, protected by a long barrier island.

Although the ICW starts at Bay Head New Jersey and travels down the whole lenght of Barnegat Bay, most cruising boats skip this run in favor of the outside route.

During the week quiet anchorages provide peaceful water views, but there are no dramatic vistas here.

Local Yacht Clubs provide sailing experiences that give the next generation a good feel for boating, in a safe and protected environment.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
My home port is Pirates Cove in Port Salerno, FL. A nice little resort and marina just off the ICW. The people here are great, really friendly and helpful. Most here have Sport Fishers, but there are a few trawlers. I meet lots of folks that stop for a day or two, then continue on their journeys. It can get pretty busy, especially during the fishing tournaments, but the excitement on occasion keeps ya young! Between the Resort here and the Hinckley yard across the way, you get to see some pretty amazing boats come and go! ...and the gals that come back from photo shoots in the Bahamas...well ya just gotta love south Florida!!
MYMT

The Manatee Pocket is a great place for boat "eye candy". We have stopped there many times waiting for a weather window. We usually stop at the Stuart Corinthian YC and fuel at Marina Cay. We are now just up the way at Ft. Pierce.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #14
Guru

Fort Pierce City Marina for the time being. 3rd boat on the right. Now, how did we get in there among all the sports fishermen?

Old 03-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
Guru

City: Pensacola
My home port is Pensacola, Florida. We are on the Emerald Coast and have the most beautiful sandy white beaches.
The Blue Heron is at Bahia Mar but in two months she will dock at our condo on the ICW.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-943414228.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	16891   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2523308328.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	16892  
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

City: -
Bellingham, Washington. While we live 100 miles south we can drive to Bellingham in 90 minutes. By keeping the boat up north we can get to the places we like to go in the San Juan Islands in two to three hours. This means we can use the boat on a year round basis on weekends. As opposed to keeping the boat farther south which would restrict our cruising in the islands to vacations. Our favorite cruising season is September through May. In the summer we go primarily to our island property where the surrounding shorelines are all private so there is no public boat traffic in the small bay.

The only downside to using a boat out of Bellingham is Bellingham Bay which depending on one's route is five to seven miles wide. The bay is shallow (90 to 100 feet), is open to the southwest's prevailing winds, and has a long fetch outside it. As a result, even on nice days if there is a wind a run across the bay can be a windshield-wipers-all-the-way run, particularly in a wet boat like a GB. Coming back the steep, closely spaced wind waves are often quartering which can keep one very busy at the helm.

The current GoogleEarth image is actually quite old and shows the long, heavily damaged G-dock still in place, hence all the empty slips. It and F-dock have since been replaced. F-dock is totally full now and the new G-dock is filling up fast. There is a several-year long waiting list for all but the smallest slips in the marina.

Name:	image-1242085417.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	16893
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Stuart
Vessel Name: Caretta
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Sedan
Brucek, the MT I have is advertised as a Sedan in the original brochure which I have. It's distinguished from the Double Cabin or Sundeck model configuration as it has no Aft stateroom. I suppose it could probably be a Sedan model with or without a flybridge.
And Moonstruck, I have read your posts many times and will be going to Jensen Beach later this spring. If you are there I'll stop in and say hi, as I hope you will if you come here. I'm easy to spot. Look for the trawler with lots of teak!
MYMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #18
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Port of Everett. Not too sexy, but keeps her pretty clean and the bright work bright!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Boathouse.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	16894  
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYMT View Post
And Moonstruck, I have read your posts many times and will be going to Jensen Beach later this spring. If you are there I'll stop in and say hi, as I hope you will if you come here. I'm easy to spot. Look for the trawler with lots of teak!
I would like that. If you do the Ft. Pierce Farmers Market on Saturday mornings, we are on the center dock next to the park. We plan to be down about the middle of next week for a few days. We hope to take a short cruise up to Vero Beach to hang out a few days. We had a 36 MT sedan style years ago. I think I can recognize your boat.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #20
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Simmons View Post
Port of Everett. Not too sexy, but keeps her pretty clean and the bright work bright!
Most visits to the Coot (two-thirds) we use as a second haunt/home without taking her out. Being in a metal shed isn't my idea of fun. Neither is plastic sheathing on a sofa.

Here in our Vallejo, CA marina berth: