Old 03-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #61
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
We're perched on the edge of Paradise on the north coast of BC, Canada, in the little city of Kitimat. Kitamaat is the Tsimshian name for the Haisla community here, and translates to People of the Snow.

Here's a photo of Zain in one of our 'over 3 feet in a day' snowfalls. Those globs in the sky are snowflakes which are so big that when they land on your tongue they don't melt, so you have to chew them. Below is our local marina.
Attached Thumbnails
Zain & Snowflakes.jpg   MK snow.jpg  
Old 03-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #62
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
I am always surprised at the photos our members post from Alaska, where boats seem to stay in the water year 'round,with docks covered in snow. Yet, everyone in the Northeast hauls their boats with the first snowflake. Is this a function of different water temps, just customary ways of doing things.. or is ther another explanation?
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post

Let's see, 7.2NM in 45 minutes is ?? nmph. Ummmm....fast trawler!
Hmm I'm coming up w 6 miles but granted I'm using low tech- paper chart. Maybe we had the current with us AND we didn't have to wait for the bridge on the 45 minute runs.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #64
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoss View Post
I am always surprised at the photos our members post from Alaska, where boats seem to stay in the water year 'round,with docks covered in snow. Yet, everyone in the Northeast hauls their boats with the first snowflake. Is this a function of different water temps, just customary ways of doing things.. or is ther another explanation?
Good question AR

50' 60's 70's... When in NY and Maine owning wood boats we pulled each year due to ice formation that could cut too deeply into the waterline area. While working in boat yards during my teens I recall a couple boats that stayed in and had severe ice damage at waterline. Alaska - waterline ice damage??? Makes me wonder too why/how they keep boats in all year...
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #65
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Here we were in Thorne Bay in one of those big dump wet snows. The first year we were there I think.

Boaters on the north coast generally leave their boats in the water for several reasons.
1. There are limited marine haulout facilities in most places.
2. The water is fairly warm and the bilge stays much warmer even when the harbor is frozen.
3. Considerable expense can come to pass for a little heat from electricity in the water but hauled out it's many times more expensive and electrons are twice as much as down south.
4. The winter is mild enough so one's boat can be kept active. We kept Willy ready to cruise most all the time. When ice permitted we ferried people around in the bay.
5. In 60 to 80 mph winds a boat is probably safer in the harbor than up in the air on jack stands.

Later this year the ice around the boat was 3" thick. No water gap around the hull. It was strange to step aboard to a solid boat. Never heard of ice damage to wood boats and we had a number of them. Frequently Willy had to sorta wade through ice chunks but we never played ice breaker. Guys w aluminum skiffs did though and I think some got damaged. In Washington Marina's attempt to keep people from getting underway when there is ice.
Attached Thumbnails
all to 12-15-09 326 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #66
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Eric's got it nailed. Another factor might be that we live in small towns where the marina is only a few minutes away
Old 03-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #67
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
I am based in Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia.
Google Maps

Marina is near the mouth of the Mooloola river so access to the ocean is good.
No real bar to cross and 95% of the time it is a doddle to get in and out.
12 hour steam and you are in behind Fraser Island the biggest sand Island in the world
"Fraser Island stretches over 123 kilometres in length and 22 kilometres at its widest point. With an area of 184 000 hectares it is the largest sand island in the world.

Fraser Island's World Heritage listing ranks it with Australia's Uluru, Kakadu and the Great Barrier Reef. Fraser Island is a precious part of Australia's natural and cultural heritage, it is protected for all to appreciate and enjoy.
Fraser island is a place of exceptional beauty, with its long uninterrupted white beaches flanked by strikingly coloured sand cliffs, and over 100 freshwater lakes, some tea-coloured and others clear and blue all ringed by white sandy beaches. Ancient rainforests grow in sand along the banks of fast-flowing, crystal-clear creeks.
Fraser Island is the only place in the world where tall rainforests are found growing on sand dunes at elevations of over 200 metres. The low "wallum" heaths on the island are of particular evolutionary and ecological significance, and provide magnificent wildflower displays in spring and summer.
The immense sand blows and cliffs of coloured sands are part of the longest and most complete age sequence of coastal dune systems in the world and they are still evolving.
They are a continuous record of climatic and sea level changes over the last 700 000 years. The highest dunes on the island reach up to 240 metres above sea level.
The Great Sandy Strait, separating Fraser Island from the mainland, is listed by the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance (Ramsar Convention).
The wetlands include: rare patterned ferns; mangrove colonies; sea-grass beds; and up to 40,000 migratory shorebirds. Rare, vulnerable or endangered species include dugongs, turtles, Illidge's ant-blue butterflies and eastern curlews.

The great Sandy Strait on the western shore is a cruising ground in itseld and a migration point for the Humpback whales on their north and sout migration each year.
Another 12 hour steam and one is into the Great Barrier Reef, still exploring this after 17 years of doing it.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #68
Scraping Paint

City: -
The weather in SE Alaska is more or less what it is in Washington and BC albeit a little colder and even wetter. So it's pretty easy to keep a boat in the water year round there.

I'm not familiar with the winter situation farther north in places like Cordova, Seward, etc. But with heat on the boat and dilligence regarding snow accumulation and ice around the boat I would imagine that keeping a boat in the water year round up there is not that big a deal.

Our marina can get a skim of ice on it if we get a stretch of several days of freezing temperatures. This is due the everpresent layer of fresh water on the surface of the head end of Bellingham Bay. The port has never tried to stop anyone from taking their boat out when this happens--- it doesn't damage the marina--- but it's a good idea to try to avoid taking a boat, particularly a fiberglass boat, though the ice. It doesn't take much ice to start carving grooves in the gelcoat of a boat underway through it.

The big aluminum seine boats and crabbers crunch their way through no problem. So once one or two of them have broken through it going to and from the fuel dock or the fish processors or ice machines it's pretty easy to get in and out of the marina if you can get to the cleared channel from your slip.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:24 AM   #69
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Eric,
In your shot of the Swinomish Canal I noticed an old timer called the Black Raven 11. It used to be moored not too far from me. It's nice to see it still afloat and looking pretty good. Wondered what happened to it.
I didn't really know the guy but it was his families boat which he used while he had this one restored. Glendevon Tugboat Restoration
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #70
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
The south end is just north of Padilla Bay.
Eric-- Regarding the Swinomish Channel, I think you'll find that actually the north end is just south of Padilla Bay. Or more correctly the north end enters Padilla Bay.

The south end of the Swinomish Channel enters the top end of Skagit Bay.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #71
Veteran Member

City: Kent Narrows, MD
Vessel Name: Doctail
Vessel Model: Fu Hwa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnma View Post
Hey Ruthless! Kent Narrows, huh? Does the background of my avatar look familiar?
John
Looks like you are waiting for the bridge to open
Ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #72
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Here's a video cruising guide we made for our home port:

(Edit: I hate it when the automatic thumbnail generated is something basically ugly - like a propane tank - when there are so many beautiful shots in the video. Arrgghhh!)

((Second edit: I really hate it when commercials are automatically inserted on my videos - but that's the price we pay for this free feature. But it's even worse when the commercial plays but the video won't?? Is the video playing for anyone else?))
Attached Files
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #73
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marin,
ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

Between here and Juneau there's just toooooo many bodies of water to keep track of. Just wrote it down w/o think'in. If ya post a lot you're bound to make mistakes.

C lectric,
Iv'e noticed a Black Raven II there and wondered about it's history. Thanks for the link. I see the wood boat festivals entry. May make use of it .. w your permission of course. Thanks in advance.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #74
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Florida?????
Thousands of sharks seen migrating along the Florida coast | Mail Online
Old 03-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #75
Guru

Interestin', what some boaters accept as normal weather conditions, other boaters would consider horrendous. When we came to California 45 years ago, we went down to the marina and they had small craft warnings out. Coming from New York's Long Island, it looked like just another day.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #76
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Home Port Linwood, Ks. boat is 250 miles away on the Illinois side of the upper Mississippi River mm 283 ldb. Once the water warms up people will anchor in 3.5' to 4' deep water & smaller boats will beach on sandbars & wade around in the water. Set up grills on the sandbars to cook & have coolers full of cold drinks. Some will set up a canopy for shade or tents and stay all weekend. Everything from 14' jonboats, runabouts, pontoons, to 50' houseboats & cruisers, and the fish fries are great.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #77
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
Is the video playing for anyone else?))
Great video, Darren. It is viewable here without commercials. Looks like a slice of heaven on a sunny day.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #78
Guru

Thanks, Al! When I checked it only played a commercial... Glad to know it's actually working.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #79
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
Glad to know it's actually working.
It's working, alright! Can't believe I've cruised right by the place. Do Wa. State ferries stop there?
Old 03-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #80
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
It's working, alright! Can't believe I've cruised right by the place. Do Wa. State ferries stop there?
SeaHorse - No ferries here in Port Ludlow, but the Port Townsend-Coupeville ferry is just 13 miles north. That and there is a seaplane dock here in the marina that Kenmore frequents along with private planes...