Old 12-27-2018, 09:37 AM   #21
Guru

City: Northport
We liked the Palm Coast canal options ourselves until we checked the SLOSH maps.

http://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Map...935fad&entry=1
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:51 AM   #22
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
The Chesapeake is special for boating, but $300K for decent waterfront property isn't all that easy to find.

Rules of thumb (approximate, and assuming existing house):
- non-waterfront = $X
- non-waterfront with seasonal waterview = $1.2X
- non-waterfront with waterview = $1.5X
- non-waterfront but with neighborhood dock privileges = $1.7X
(except some of the old "vacation" neighborhoods can be more viable assuming you're willing to bulldoze whatever's on the property and start over)
- waterfront (shallow, or unprotected Bay) = $2X
- waterfront with protected deep water = $2.3-2.5X

And then there's maintenance, dredge permits, etc.

Takes a long time to amortize the additional cost of good waterfront, when compared to the cost of a slip in a marina. Some marinas are more expensive than others, of course...

But then sometimes the guy on the boat next door in a marina may know a thing or two about whatever it is you need to service, repair, or replace on any given day.

Not a recommendation, but we've chosen to commute to a relatively (?) inexpensive boatyard/marina... as little as 10 minutes away depending on traffic. Limited amenities, but decent dockage. Even where our home is, it's within the "protected area" -- which means special rules for drainage, run-off, permeable/non-permeable surfaces, forestry management (can't just cut down a tree...) and so forth.

-Chris
Old 12-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: A lot around Palm Coast as prices drop once you leave South Florida and Donna's marina is great.

Ranger's pricing is very helpful and his comment on house and marina. The OP is likely to have to compromise. Might be on location but might be on living arrangement. Even in FLL (Fort Lauderdale for those who don't know my shorthand), you can live 15 minutes from your boat at the marina surprisingly inexpensively. Condos for under $200k, small houses not much more. Yes, Florida actually has nice smaller homes. NC you wouldn't dare build 2 BR's but here a lot of nice ones. If you're boating a lot, then condos start to make a lot of sense or for your first year or so in a new location, makes a lot of sense to just rent.

You might figure out your ideal location without the finances and then see how close you can come at the amount you're able to spend.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #24
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Ranger's factors sound reasonable for the Chesapeake. But here is some current data for homes in Oriental, NC. These are some of the least expensive, waterfront properties with deep water ICW access on the east coast. In that area non water front property won't be 2.5x cheaper. Global warming may explain that , although neither home got water in it in Irene or Florence but the single family home below is probably vulnerable.

I like this second floor condo:

1,000 SF 2 BR waterfront condo in the heart of Oriental with its own dock for $225,000.

3 BR, 1,800 SF house on protected creek with private dock for $315,000:

DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #25
Guru

City: gulf coast
We looked at a lot of places. West FL, especially St. Pete area is close to everything a big city offers and has a great airport and historically has lower storm probability. Easy access to great cruising as well.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:12 PM   #26

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieFromNJ View Post
My dream along with the boat would be to buy land with a bulkhead and water to accommodate a 5 ft draft then build a small ranch on the property. Total budget for land and home about $300k. Ideally would like to cruise the entire eastern seaboard from Florida to Canada with jaunts to the Bahamas. North during summer and south during cooler weather.
300k will not cut it
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlord View Post
Cape Coral, FL. Just west of Ft Myers, we have over 400 miles of canals, many with Gulf access, no bridges. Canal front houses can be had for under 500k with docks and lifts. Condos on the the water at 150-300k

We moved here 4 years ago from Buffalo and love it. Our trawler stays up north and we use that as our summer home from May to September.
No depth to that 400 miles of canals
Old 12-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
We looked at a lot of places. West FL, especially St. Pete area is close to everything a big city offers and has a great airport and historically has lower storm probability. Easy access to great cruising as well.
Frequency map is here...
https://www.noaa.gov/stories/what-ar...ll-hit-my-home
The SLOSH map link is posted above.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
Frequency map is here...
https://www.noaa.gov/stories/what-ar...ll-hit-my-home
The SLOSH map link is posted above.
Tampa /St Pete has 7 months of over 90degrees with high humidity per year. Last year it rained 92 straight days in summer months plus over 90...all the time. Do you like mold??
Old 12-27-2018, 06:48 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Tampa /St Pete has 7 months of over 90degrees with high humidity per year. Last year it rained 92 straight days in summer months plus over 90...all the time. Do you like mold??
I guess you did not notice I was not suggesting that location.
Where would you suggest Geoleo?
Old 12-27-2018, 06:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
I guess you did not notice I was not suggesting that location.
Where would you suggest Geoleo?
Actually I live and keep my boat in the area ( I rent docks from house owners or apartment owners- never marinas --which cramp my maintenance style). Been doing it for 14 years and 4 boats. It was just warning about the long summer heat-- its great if you can take it--- hardly anyone out on the water in the heat either as the water gets to 88-90 degrees. Plus there is a do it yourself yard in St Pete where you can get a lot done. ENJOY!!! PS Homes and Condos have increased about 110% in past 10 years.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:47 PM   #32
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Consider the costs associated with waterfront home while you are out cruising. You still get to pay while you’re gone. Being a landlord while away sucks unless you have someone very reliable.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:40 PM   #33
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Some nice canal homes just North of the Okeechobee waterway at Stuart.

I have considered renting dock space behind a house, buying a house with a dock and renting the house, or buying a canal lot to keep my boat at. Each time I come away with the concern of how protected will my boat be when I'm away from home. Currently I spend about $7K between summer and winter marinas that are very protected including night watchmen patrolling the marinas. Finally came to the conclusion that night time security and marina employees walking the docks during the day was a very nice feature I couldn't replicate at a private dock.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:51 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Some nice canal homes just North of the Okeechobee waterway at Stuart.

I have considered renting dock space behind a house, buying a house with a dock and renting the house, or buying a canal lot to keep my boat at. Each time I come away with the concern of how protected will my boat be when I'm away from home. Currently I spend about $7K between summer and winter marinas that are very protected including night watchmen patrolling the marinas. Finally came to the conclusion that night time security and marina employees walking the docks during the day was a very nice feature I couldn't replicate at a private dock.

Ted
The big issue in our area with keeping a boat at a private dock is that most of those are behind homes also being rented as vacation homes so people around that you have to walk through to get to your boat and also vacationers around who may go to your boat.

While Oriental is inexpensive as pointed out above, it's also remote and it's cold in winter. Only the OP can decide where he wants to be. I hope that comes first and then he figures out dollars wise how to make it work best. I like having good boating year round. Others like a full change of seasons.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:02 AM   #35
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Rules of thumb (approximate, and assuming existing house):
- non-waterfront = $X
- non-waterfront with seasonal waterview = $1.2X
- non-waterfront with waterview = $1.5X
- non-waterfront but with neighborhood dock privileges = $1.7X
(except some of the old "vacation" neighborhoods can be more viable assuming you're willing to bulldoze whatever's on the property and start over)
- waterfront (shallow, or unprotected Bay) = $2X
- waterfront with protected deep water = $2.3-2.5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Ranger's pricing is very helpful and his comment on house and marina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Ranger's factors sound reasonable for the Chesapeake.

I don't want to be misleading; my post was meant to be more illustrative than perfectly accurate. The general drift is just that prices rise every time "water" enters a real estate listing around here. And the actual factors today may not be what they seemed to be when we were last seriously shopping.

Since it's raining here today -- yet again -- we've yet again entered into that "non-waterfront with seasonal waterview" category: our back yard is a feeder that drains into the creek a few hundred feet away.

-Chris
Old 12-28-2018, 09:40 AM   #36
Guru

City: gulf coast
When looking where to keep a boat consider how far the dock will be from where you want to cruise. Some areas along the ICW are many miles from an inlet and even then where do you go? Travelling the same ICW route for hours every time you want to use the boat gets old fast.
Keeping the boat near cruising areas and driving to it may be better. If you intend to just leave the boat at the dock and take long trips without local cruising then distance from places to go doesn't matter as much.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:57 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMaggie View Post
Don't know if this is what you're looking for... We plan on listing in the spring with sotheby ... you can check it out on Google Earth ... I have about 12 ft at dead low tide ... very protected Creek ... concrete boat landing in the yard ..About a mile and a half off the intercoastal... 19Dirt rd, Seabrook SC 29940
Happy New Year
Wayne
And are you really going to sell it for $300k or less? That was his budget.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:19 PM   #38

City: SC
No sorry didn't realize your price range... and I will be deleting my reply sorry I didn't mean to be soliciting
MissMaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:50 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMaggie View Post
No sorry didn't realize your price range... and I will be deleting my reply sorry I didn't mean to be soliciting
Well, your property would appear to have met all but his price requirement. I'm guessing you'll list for 200-250% of that though.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:25 PM   #40

City: SC
Yep....
MissMaggie is offline   Reply With Quote