Old 09-13-2015, 03:14 PM   #41
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
My wife came down the next morning and we took off across the gulf for a 5 day excursion.
Kevin;
Just where do you go "across the Gulf?"
Looked at the satellite of your marina and can almost see you on the bridge. Interesting port; what is Liquid Adventures...lol.

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Seward, AK
Vessel Model: Custom 45' Steel Trawler
Marin, Thank You for the photos! My great grandfather was a fisherman during this time. I will always remember the smell of coal tar on his old scow. It was certainly FD.

Trying not to hijack the thread, but for those interested in the shrimp thing, you can see some posts on the boat facebook page. Search for MV Norskip. There are more pics and videos there.

And, yes, they are Ladner pots.

AKFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #43
Scraping Paint

City: -
Where are the trawlers in the PNW? Poulsbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
[Sad to say, from an old timer's perspective, words are becoming less meaningful as "progress" speeds up, acronyms take over and neophytes occupy the driver's seat, kitchen and bathroom.

It's frustrating isn't it? I'm glad I live in the region now and I and my wife and I have had some amazing adventures up and down this coast and intend to have a lot more. But as I've learned about the history of the area, both from my own interests and as a result of some of the books I've written and meeting and talking to long-time residents of Seattle and the BC raincoast, I feel that the absolute coolest time to have lived in the PNW/BC/SE Alaska area was in the early and mid 1900s. Seattle was a fascinating city during that time and the BC raincoast was truly fantastic.

Simply from the transportation systems alone, it was a grand time.

First two photos, Union Steamship Lines, second two photos, the Milwaukee Road's Olympian Hiawatha, last two photos, Boeing 314 Clipper and 377 Stratoliner (the very first plane I ever flew on when we moved to Hawaii).

And no, I have no idea why the system duplicated the first two shots at the end......

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442172983.219626.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	44474Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442172998.059557.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	44475Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442173014.091666.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	44476Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442173029.800366.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	44477Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442173046.374526.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	44478Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442173061.177697.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	44479
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442172801.956941.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	44470   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442172818.450555.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	44471  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:57 PM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKFish View Post
...for those interested in the shrimp thing, you can see some posts on the boat facebook page.
Pity.
I don't do Facebook.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
First two photos, Union Steamship Line...
Damn it all Marin, cut it out; I have to get out of the basement for a while.

I'll drop by later with a line or two on the Catala and my first encounter with a Cee Bee
Old 09-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #46
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Kevin;
Just where do you go "across the Gulf?"
Looked at the satellite of your marina and can almost see you on the bridge. Interesting port; what is Liquid Adventures...lol.
"Across the gulf" in terms of what I do is taking off from Seward, clearing cape Resurrection then traveling 35-50 miles eastward across the northern part of the Gulf of Alaska.

From there we either dink around the protected waters of Prince William Sound, or if the weather is nice enough to comfortably sit in the cockpit and fish, we do that out in the gulf itself. Anchoring for the evening is always somewhere protected of course.

Coming back is the exact same thing but reversed.

The prevailing winds in this area are south to south east, which exposes us to a pretty much full on beam sea with unlimited fetch.

Unlike AK fish's tolerance for seas, we typically make a no go decision if the seas are over 8' as measured by the cape clear bouy. If the wind is up and the seas are stacked close we'll generally choose not to make the crossing, but some times we'll go anyway and just deal with it. This year I added a freezer to the boat for example to allow us not to be pressured to return to port with our catch. Now we just vacuum pack them and freeze them on board.

The the methods we use are based on our hull form. Since we are in a constant beam sea we often use the throttle to push the aft of the boat down, and dampen the roll.

The things we have learned on our journeys in Alaska are the exact same things we will use when we eventually take our boat south again. Hop from port to port, use the boats power and speed to our advantage.

To be honest when we end up cruising without schedules in warmer climates we will become less tolerant of sea states. Right now with our short season in Alaska we have to tolerate larger seas or we'd miss out on boating trips. When we have no schedule we can be more conservative. For the next few years I still work for a living, abet not on a m-f regular work week.

BTW, a full leave Seward and go south gulf crossing is 320 NM straight line from Seward to Yakutat. Of that you can hole up in Hinchinbrook entrance with only a 30 mile detour then cross from there to Yakutat which is 210 NM

My boat has the fuel capacity to make reasonable choices. I can go for example at displacement speed to Hinchinbrook, then cruise at 15 knots across to Yakutat. Or I could do the whole trip straight line at displacement speed. If I chose the fast cruise option then no overnight journeys are required.

Theoreticslly with our 600NM range we could straight line Seward to Elfin Cove then fuel up there or even Juneau, but I see no reason to do that. Yakutat is a decent little town with a good harbor.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:57 AM   #47
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Last Saturday and Sunday the MTOA had a get together in Langley on Whidbey Island. Trawlers galore!
Old 09-15-2015, 08:11 PM   #48

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
Last Saturday and Sunday the MTOA had a get together in Langley on Whidbey Island. Trawlers galore!
Really? Had not heard anything about it......

Marty.....................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:56 PM   #49
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
From the website:

Our next planned event is the Rendezvous at Langley (southeast side of Whidbey Island) September 11-13, 2015. Bill and Jill Brown are hosting this. They are lining up speakers with topics of interest to our group and other fun things to do. It would help them in planning if you could let them know if you will definitely, probably, probably not or definitely not be joining us, and whether it would be by boat on land. Bill's email is: bbrown99@whidbey.com
Old 09-16-2015, 11:48 PM   #50
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post

Funny, I pulled into Langley Sunday, not thinking I would need a reservation, and they were full on their new breakwater dock with the MTOA boats. Fortunately, they had an open end tie in the old part of the marina.

drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote