Old 11-27-2008, 04:12 AM   #21
FF
Guru

RE: Where are the trawlering sites?

The T & T Forum is completely ruled by PC.

It didn't take very long for the BOARD NAZI to ban me , wonder why?

FF

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Walt,

He's just looking at your beautiful boat noticeing it dosn't look like a GB, NT, CHB or similar. Don't be too hard on him Walt, some guys think that to be a trawler the boat needs fwd slanting windows and a smoke stack.

Eric Henning

Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:44 PM   #23

I am the newbee I have been in boating 30years but never bigger then 20ft. This forum has given me alot of insite and a laugh now and then, what you decuss here does make a difference KEEP IT UP!!!!!
bolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

I really feel bad that Bill says I don't have a trawler. I always wanted a trawler and now I'm told that I have a "trawler yacht!" Why do some people want to hurt other people like that? My wife and I just pulled in from a short cruise off the San Diego coast and had our Thanksgiving meal at "Red Sails." We gave thanks for our little boat even though she didn't make the "trawler" grade.

Gosh sakes Bill....you sure are mean!
<grin>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn1197.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	811  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: -

Walt--- You can very easily fix all this. Get a good side photo of your boat. Then Photoshop in a net drum in your cockpit and a pair of otter trawl posts on the stern. Add in a boom for hoisting the net aboard, paste a trawl "door" on the outside of the hull on each side of the cockpit and voila, you have a genuine trawler. Make that your avatar photo and no one will hassle you again about whether or not your boat is a trawler.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:22 PM   #26

City: Clyde
Vessel Name: Lucky Find III
Vessel Model: PT -Europa Style Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to albaris

Although not just a trawler site, I think BoaterEd* is a great boating site, no matter what type of boat you own. With over a thousand active memebrs, we all can't be wrong.

I agree with most that the PassageMaker site is extremely slow.

Two other good sites are Curiser's Forums , mainly sailing but a lot of good stuff on destinations, living aboard, etc. and
the Marine Trawlers Owners Association site, but you have to join them to get into the groups (forums) and it costs about $95.00 your first year, and I think $60.00 after that.

-- Edited by albaris at 20:36, 2008-11-28
albaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:53 AM   #27
FF
Guru

The grand old SSCA site is good info for wannabe voyagers , but rag bag's dominate.

The same questions on anchors , refrigeration , heat, battery service etc are common to marine motorists.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:27 AM   #28

City: camberley/ birdham pool marina
Vessel Name: VALIANT
Vessel Model: Eurobanker 28
And what about classic style vessels like the Eurobanker lake sedan 28 1978 , or classic Grandbanks vessels .
troutbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:47 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbridge View Post
And what about classic style vessels like the Eurobanker lake sedan 28 1978 , or classic Grandbanks vessels .
Wow, you sure dredged up an old thread here. Actually, all of the above you mention is catered for on here. Maybe not called the same name, like Eurobanker, but there will be similar vessels of similar or virtually identical design, as many Taiwanese built boats are just variations on the same theme, and there are lots of Grand Banks owners on here. There are also design specific groups represented at the end of the forum, under the title "Trawler Builders Forums', found here...

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/#trawler-forum\

Scroll down to the bottom of the forum and find which group most fits your vessel. To me it looks like a Taiwanese build. In fact it looks very much like the boat called the Clipper (CHB) 30, here in Aus, which is the slightly shorter version of my own boat, and like this example called 'Ship Shape', but I may well be wrong.

https://yachthub.com/list/boats-for-...ybridge/188144
Old 09-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #30

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
I mainly read the "General Discussion because our Albin-25 is

quite a lot smaller than most of the "trawlers" represented here. Perhaps it merely comes down to my choices of which threads to read, but I really don't recall when I've seen a "political" discussion here.

BTW, I have a sailing friend who like to refer to my Albin as a "mini-trawler". I tell him my boat, built in 1976, predates the term "mini-trawler by years and years and a more correct term in "Scandinavian-style motor cruiser".
Moby Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:03 PM   #31
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
While some threads on this forum are purely political like the current one about North Korea, others can't really be discussed without bringing up politics. Examples would be threads concerning boat taxes and discussions on dumping holding tanks.

Something some people don't seem to be aware of is, you don't have to respond to (or even read) every single post. Read the ones that interest you and respond if you have questions or something useful to add.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:09 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Something some people don't seem to be aware of is, you don't have to respond to (or even read) every single post. Read the ones that interest you and respond if you have questions or something useful to add.

This should continually scroll across the top of every internet page that allows commentary. Or, it should be common sense; but that never works out.
chriscritchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:52 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Biloxi
As a participant on Trawler Forum for the last 8 months I have learn so much from the discussions that are posted. I have posted a couple questions and each time found the answer amongst the several responses, usually I am just reading in the background learning all kinds of stuff that I haven't yet experienced. Everywhere you turn now a days you will run into politics or PC, the nice thing is on this site when I skip over those posts i usually find a subject that is relevant regarding the life I live with our trawler, (or not a trawler, Sundowner tug ). I greatly appreciate the knowledge I have gained from the members of this site! Thank y'all !!
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:01 PM   #34
TF Site Team

Harking back to the Op's original heading and post, the irony is, this forum was only started because the Passage Maker one deteriorated so badly once the Bill Parletore, the original owner of the mag and forum sold out, and the new owners did not have the personal interest or knowledge to run a good forum. it floundered around, the software was chopped and changed, folk lost touch with past posts, etc, and most regulars drifted away. That was when John Baker and a mate, (Doug Cole, I think), started the original Trawler Forum, which grew so much cost became a factor, so it was taken/on sold to the current professional forum host/owner to avoid the need to charge members a sign-on fee, if memory serves.

Sometimes it is worthwhile revisiting the origin of things, as over time, people forget.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:03 PM   #35
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Nick View Post
quite a lot smaller than most of the "trawlers" represented here. Perhaps it merely comes down to my choices of which threads to read, but I really don't recall when I've seen a "political" discussion here.

BTW, I have a sailing friend who like to refer to my Albin as a "mini-trawler". I tell him my boat, built in 1976, predates the term "mini-trawler by years and years and a more correct term in "Scandinavian-style motor cruiser".
MOBY Nick,
I named my A25 "Trawlerette" trying to accomplish the same thing. I meant "small trawler" but most attached a sexual connotation to it. In the end I admitted it was a bad choice. But at least I named the boat what it was.

My next naming was a male name and w minimal characters. Got really sick of writing down "Trawlerette" on all those transient tiny moorage slips.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:31 PM   #36

City: Sebastian
I've belonged to several boating and saltwater sports forums over the years. Most have had some sort of "off the deep end" forum of some kind or other. Most have also, after several years, run into a similar quandary, wherein the old-timers bemoan the posts the the off-topic forum and lack of posts elsewhere.

I believe this kind of thing to be cyclical and if you wait long enough, and the newbies hang around, you get back to the point where there are more posts about boats than other things. At least that's my theory.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:49 PM   #37
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningChrome View Post
I've belonged to several boating and saltwater sports forums over the years. Most have had some sort of "off the deep end" forum of some kind or other. Most have also, after several years, run into a similar quandary, wherein the old-timers bemoan the posts the the off-topic forum and lack of posts elsewhere.

I believe this kind of thing to be cyclical and if you wait long enough, and the newbies hang around, you get back to the point where there are more posts about boats than other things. At least that's my theory.
Spot on, and thanks for that...
Old 09-05-2017, 01:05 AM   #38
Guru

Probably helps that you only enter OTDE by doing a deal with the devil. Not worked out how that`s achieved, not sure I want to.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:41 AM   #39
FF
Guru

Very few of what we refer to as "trawlers" are.

For most "trawler" means a cruising motor vessel that mostly operates at displacement speeds.

Many "motor yachts" and "trawlers" have the same engines and everything below the waterline.

The big difference is the look of the boat , that the owner prefers.

Even "cruising" can have different meanings to different folks.

Dashing from marina to marina is a style as is independant cruising , anchoring out mostly , using marinas as a service , not as a destination.

Its all good fun and mostly the same sized boats will be built with the same equipment , and design flaws .

Even the dock queens that have not moved 15 feet in a decade , love the lifestyle.

Trawler ? its like Hi Fi, no real meaning , except if you fish for a living.